“Caught my first wave!”
Review of Kauai Surf School

Kauai Surf School
More attraction details
Owner description: The Kauai Surf School offers Group, Private surf lessons, and Surf Clinics daily at the Kiahuna Beach in Poipu.
Reviewed October 29, 2013

My husband and I took a lesson with Kyle at Kauai Surf School in mid-October, 2013. We had the time of our lives! Kyle gave a very thorough on-shore lesson first with time for us to practice then took us out into the water giving each of us personal attention, advising when to paddle, when to stand and was able to get us both up on waves. A thrilling and memorable experience made all the more fun by Kyle's lovely personality. He told us much about the island, his family, etc. and it was his outgoing, engaging demeanor that really pushed the experience over the top.

There are newer reviews for Kauai Surf School

Reviewed October 2, 2013

Joshua did a great job with us newbies. He made it really basic and easy to understand. Poipu was a great place to catch some small waves.

Reviewed October 1, 2013

I took a lesson with Allen from the Kauai Surf School in Poipu. It was a great experience. Allen was a great instructor. I have never surfed before and I have horrible balance, so I wasn't expecting much. We did a 20-25 minute lesson on land to get the basics down. Then we moved into the water where Allen stood in the middle of the ocean and helped you get ready for the wave and tell you when to start paddling. The rest is up to you. But if you listen to what you learned in the first part of the class and apply it to your practice you will do great. I was able to stand up on my second try and after that I was able to ride the waves for awhile. It was great - it felt so amazing to be able to do it after one lesson. After about an hour in the water with us, Allen left us to practice on our own. It is much harded to do on your own. Its hard to know which wave to catch and when to start paddling. It's all about practice and persistence. But I learned the basics and was so happy with the class.
I ws sore and bruised after the hour and a half, but it was so worth it.
I can't wait to surf again!

Reviewed September 27, 2013

If you're here and want a surf lesson, go for it. But if you're visiting Maui too, go to Maui Surfer Girls. We took lessons on both islands and found our experience to be better on Maui. Not that this was a bad experience, just felt like the instructor didn't really want to be there or that he cared whether or not we were successful.

1  Thank Evonne M
Reviewed September 19, 2013

I signed up for lessons for my wife and myself after reading the great reviews on TA. Met Allen on the beach and from the start we both were happy with our choice. The groups are small and Allen was a friendly and patient instructor - in other words...FANTASTIC.

We were total novices to surfing and by the end of our lesson I would say we would take up the sport. The time for instruction and the free time afterwards are good and the location of the school was great. There were no shortage of waves during the lesson.

I would highly recommend Kauai Surf School.

1  Thank K_d_Social_One