“Great Experience” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Kauai Surf School

Kauai Surf School
More attraction details
Owner description: The Kauai Surf School offers Group, Private surf lessons, and Surf Clinics daily at the Kiahuna Beach in Poipu.
Fontana, California
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Great Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2012

Our 12 year old says this was his favorite thing that he did on Kaua'i. The instructor, Kyle was very personable and experienced, and very hands on when it came to teaching.

2 Thank Ami D

Tampa, Florida
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“So Much Fun!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2012

My husband and I did paddle board lessons with Kyle while we were on our honeymoon. It was our second time trying paddle boarding, the first time was a bust. This time we were able to figure out how to stay standing and had so much fun! Kyle stayed out in the water with us to help and just keep an eye on things. I highly recommend you try this. What better pictures to show your family than you standing on a board in Hawaii!

2 Thank Unger2012
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Awesome Instructors!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2012

My wife and I had took the class this morning with Kyle and we had a great time. He was very thorough in his explanations of proper technique and form. The best part about Kauai Surf School is that they limit the class size to a maximum of 4. It was like having private lessons for the price of a group class. It was very nice being only 1 of 4 when there was another class out there that had about 14 students!

Basically, if you are going to take lessons, book with Kauai Surf School!

2 Thank PapaBearDJCH
Baltimore
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Surfing is tough, but fun!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2012

My wife and I signed up for a group lesson, but it ended up just being the two of us with our instructor Jaime. We met Jaime at the beach near the Sheraton in Poipu. We showed up a bit early but it was ok, because Jaime did, too.

Our lesson began on the beach as Jaime walked us through the basics of body positioning, how to stand up, and foot positioning. He was positive, up beat, and funny through out the lesson, which we really appreciated. He then went over some general safety and etiquette tips. He took us out in the water and stationed himself where the waves were breaking correctly. It seemed like there was a small area of water where you could actually catch the waves, so it was extremely helpful having him there to hold us in place until the right wave came along. After each attempt he had helpful advice about what to do to improve. My wife and I were able to stand up after only a few attempts and by the end of the lesson we were riding about half of them onto the shore. It was great!

He then let us use the boards on our own for a while to see if we could catch any waves alone. I managed to catch one but it is A LOT harder when the sweet spot for waves is so small. However, we still had a great time.

The negatives are not even about the Kauai Surf School really. A few different schools operate in the same area and they all need to make use of the relatively small "sweet spot" of waves. At the beginning of our lesson there was another instructor and his 2 students. However, near the end of our lesson, the other instructor had another 6-8 students show up. At this point it started getting pretty crowded. Despite this, we still had a good time.

My wife and I really enjoyed ourselves. Be prepared for some sore back muscles the next day (lots of paddling!). We recommend Jaime and the Kauai Surf School for any other beginner like us. Just be prepared to fall a lot and try again!

Visited April 2012
1 Thank Luke B
West River, Maryland
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 50 helpful votes
“He Stood-up on the First Try”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2012

I did not take the training, my son did. For 2hrs plus, the instructors train the surf student with the supplied surf board, first on the land and then in the surf. My son was part of a group of 8 students. They had instruction on land for around 40 mins, then took the surf boards to the surf right there on the beach of the Kiahuna Plantation and get in the water with the students to get them started. Not to brag, but son was able to stand and ride a wave on his first try. So either he is very good or the instruction was great. I think the instruction made the difference. The instructors were very friendly and accommodating. Give them a try if you are incline to try surfing.

Visited April 2012