“Great SUP Lessons”

Poipu Beach Surf School
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Poipu Beach Surf School Kauai is owned and operated by professional waterman and former pro bodyboarder Doug Muraoka. Poipu Beach Surf School is committed to providing each of its guests with a safe, fun, friendly surfing experience. Experience and Credentials Doug and his expert staff are all lifeguard trained, CPR certified, local watermen who have been surfing and teaching for years. For your added ocean safety, an official county of Kauai lifeguard station is located right at Poipu Beach in Kauai. Connected to the Ocean Douglas Muraoka was born and raised on the island of Kauai. Doug was raised by his grandparents got introduced to the ocean at an early age because his grandparents were avid fisherman who went fishing five days a week Monday through Friday Doug having no other choice than to go fishing every day at 6 AM spent half of the day at the ocean five days a week. Doug Muraoka Professional Bodyboarder Doug seeing surfers and bodyboarders at the beach he started bodyboarding at 10 years old. Doug picked up on body boarding quick and got his first sponsor which was Poipu Surf and Sport. Doug did local bodyboard contests for years and always made the final's. Doug also qualified for the Hawaii state surfing tournament every year. In 1989 when Doug graduated high school he became a pro bodyboarder and travel mostly to California and Hawaii doing the PSAA bud professional surfing tour. In 1998 Doug won his first pro contest in the drop knee division. As years went on Doug decided to start surfing. Doug loves surfing so much that he surfs 99% of the time now. With his passion for surfing he decided he wants to teach the world to surf so everyone can see how fun the ancient Hawaiian sport of surfing really is. Doug founded Poipu Beach surf school in 2005!
Reviewed January 12, 2014

My family of four had a great 2-hour stand-up paddle boarding private lesson with Doug and Adam. We contacted Doug the day before to ask about lessons; he was available and arranged to meet us the next day at a time of mutual convenience. We went to the Wailua river, which was an excellent place to learn SUP because it was flat and the wind was low. Doug and Adam began with a good demonstration of basic technique on land and then we went out on the water. My family was able to get up quickly and spent the rest of the lesson paddling on the river with helpful feedback from them. It was a great introduction to the sport for us and we plan to do more of it at home. We would definitely go back to Doug for any future lessons.

There are newer reviews for Poipu Beach Surf School

Reviewed August 12, 2013

It was probably my mistake to sign up for "group" lessons through NCL cruises as opposed to semi private lessons. It really doesn't work to have one instructor give rote, quick instruction to 12 people ranging in age from 12 to 60 and then send us into the surf. The area we were taken too was way overcrowded and limited the 2 staff people to merely positioning themselves strategically in the surf to have the surfers paddle towards them and they would hold the boards, wait for an appropriate wave, instruct the surfer to "paddle" and then push the board off into the wave. Helpful, but it doesn't get you up. Also given the amount we paid, the time spent both in and out of the water was insufficient. In fairness, my two sons did great and enjoyed it.
If you have never surfed, I would seriously look outside the cruise ship excursions for surf schools on each island that offer private or semi private lessons including a GUARANTY that you will stand and surf a wave!! Ultimately it's a better value for a better result.

1  Thank gbgnylaw
Reviewed July 15, 2013

I took a bunch of private lessons with Corbin- he was super chill and friendly, and helped me a ton to feel comfortable on a new break as a beginner surfer. I not only felt super safe and way more confident after working with him, but I also really felt like he was happy to help me out and see me improve. My goal to be confident in the line up was def achieved!
I would strongly recommend Corbin if you want a fun and instructive time surfing!

Reviewed April 29, 2013

Our three sons, ages 11,14,& 16, had a great experience learning to surf on spring break on Poipu Beach in front of the Marriott with Corbin. He was a fun, knowledgeable, and patient instructor. Doug, the owner was very flexible, answered my questions about safety not wanting our kids left out in surf on their own, as well as scheduling multiple day lessons as they wanted to do more and more sessions. My husband and I could sit and watch the entire lesson. I was able to take great shots of them getting up on their boards. I would highly recommend this group!!!

Reviewed January 25, 2013

Thanks guys, surf school was very helpful, got me up paddleboard surfing in 2 hours, very convenient, and, looked after all my bags for the whole day. Very supportive instructors, clear instructions, a great combination of risk and safety allowing me to learn at my risk level!