“Great location”

Ranked #3 of 30 Specialty Lodging in Poipu
Lincoln City, Oregon
“Great location”
Reviewed December 8, 2012

Just got back from Kauai' after a full 7 nights stay at the Outrigger Kiahuna. We had a partial ocean view/garden view. This condominium unit was centrally located on the south shore within walking distance of the most popular snorkeling swimming beach around. The condo was great, with lots of room to move around. No air conditioning, but lots of fans and windows. It had a great patio, large and roomy which also allowed the tropical breeze to blow around and help to keep this kool. It was tough to get onto the wifi and eventually had to ask the front desk for exact, specific directions...they eventually offered a handout, but only after I asked. The flat screen TV was on the fritz; it worked when it wanted to; you'd get sound but no screen., and that lasted for the entire week The kitchen was great! It had lots of room to move around and cook. You get free room service mid-week and you needed too; all the towels were wet. They never seemed to be able to dry completely. Be sure to purchase some cheap beach towels while you're there. There's a shopping/eating area across the street. Lots of restaurants. There are a few grocery stores very close by in Kaloa, but everything is super expensive; milk, break, cereal. Make a stop at Costco if you can and check out their deli section. Generous portions of delicious food, in good containers that will last you through the week..Don't waste your time bringing snorkeling gear from home; you can rent it all by the day or week right there at the resort. $15 dollars for fins, snorkel and mask. There is just so much to do and see that we found out that 7 days was not nearly enough time to just lay on the beach and relax. Be sure to check out the Spouting Horn, the Allerton Garden, The coffee plantation...The hotel can easily hook you up with whatever adventure you'd like to check out.
A 1 hour helicopter ride around the island is an absolute must, if you don't do anything else.
Over all I'd say that the Outrigger is the way to go. We are making plans to go back next year and will stay at the same place, but up closer to the ocean. I hope that this helps you out. Oh! You really don;t need to bring too many extra clothes along. A couple of bathing suits, tee-shirts, a wrap or two for you wahines and of course SUN GLASSES! Aloha!

Room Tip: We were in room 418...The 3rd floor. The balcony faced the ocean and we had an awesome breeze blowi...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Rick A

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (512)
Reviewed December 7, 2012

I had the best time at Kiahuna. This place is truly a paradise and it has beautiful grounds and one of the best beaches on this island. The staff was very helpful and polite. The rain storm we had on the night of December 4th was incredible! The thunder that hit was awesome. The next day we still managed to go to the beach. Awesome Thanks

Room Tip: We had a paradise view and it was so quiet. Just awesome
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
San Diego
Reviewed December 3, 2012

Not much for staying in condo's but the wife convinced me to give it a try. Arranged a location through VRBO and stayed in Unit 236 which was a 2nd floor unit with a Garden view (opted not to pay more for an ocean view since it was right around the corner). These places are all individually owned and rented out I believe so the upgrades and furnishings vary on where you stay. Our place had an extremely comfortable king bed that we slept soundly in every night. Many amenities as well, including beach items, cooler, boogie boards, etc. We just went to Costco and Walmart beforehand and stocked up on food. Cooked breakfast every morning, had a Costco pizza in the oven one night, it was great. There's a TV and dvd player as well, so we rented a movie from Redbox in the General Whaler's store across the street as well.
As for the complex, you get towels and chairs at the beach hut and can rent snorkel gear too if you want (we brought our own). Snorkeling available right from the beach (visibility wasn't great when we visited). Small sandy beach and a shower facility to clean your feet when you leave. Great views around there too in the big grassy area of the complex. Lots of chickens, roosters, a few cats, lizards too. Beautiful plants, well-maintained facility. The pool across the street was nice to sun-bathe in too if you want to avoid the sand (tiny bit of a walk).
One of favorite parts was the concierge service though... we had so many ideas of what we thought we wanted to and she helped narrow down our choices based on cost, season, weather, value, reviews, etc. Saved us so much time and then she organizes everything, takes care of all the costs, prints out directions to everything from the condo, creates an itinerary..... hey I've never used a concierge before but my god she made it easy. Definitely recommend checking it out. I believe her name was Gayle.
I would stay in the complex again and would consider staying in the same unit again as well.
One con to the units though are they not very soundproof and you hear when your neighbors take showers or walk around (so get the top floor) and the bathrooms though private, could use a full door vice a light wooden shingle door where no sounds go unnoticed. If you can deal with that, then you're fine.

2 Thank Rob L
Victoria Canada
Reviewed December 3, 2012

We were in number 303 which was a one bedroom one bathwhich we had rented directly from the owner via VRBO. Check in was friendly and quick. The lanai (loved it) overlooked the garden ,thus it was quiet, and very private. ...and no ,or very distant checken noises in the early AM. The windows let in plenty of air with the slats. No need for air conditioning. We never did go to the pool, because we loved the beach.. The beach access was a five minute walk, it was awesome . Beach chairs and towels were free. The accommodations were clean, and simple, and perfect for us.I loved the communal BBQ, used it often ,and made new friends while cooking ! Mid week cleaning was included by Charles, our condo owner.. We loved the condo, the resort, and are planning to go back.

Room Tip: It is a very big property, if you do not mind a 5 minute walk to the beach, then you have lots of gr...
2 Thank George2011
Malagash, Canada
Reviewed November 29, 2012

We had a 10 night stay at your resort. We absolutely loved it, beautiful condo, friendly and accomodating staff. Our 3rd night we had guests move in upstairs, they were loud and ready to party. I called front desk, and security was there in minutes to resolve the issue. We never heard anything the rest of our stay. The location is perfect, shopping and restaurants accross the road. We did find a hidden restaurant called "cassablanca" off the main road, beautiful food and great happy hour. This was our second time to Hawaii, both times were at Poipu. We absolutely love it and will definitely be back to Poipu and Kiahuna Plantation.

1 Thank Kim A
Woodbridge, California
Reviewed November 26, 2012

When booking this resort through Pleasant Holidays, my original plan was to get the Run-of -the -mill Condo (cheapest cost). I was advised that the Condo's in this price range would be adjacent to a busy road and I would be subjected to traffic noise. Upon this suggestion I upgraded to a Royal Garden View. When I arrived I was assigned a Condo, and was given one at the back of the property adjacent to the busy road. The Staff did allow me to change my room to an upstairs. I contacted my travel agent and informed them of my situation. I was told by her, that Pleasant Holidays would contact me ASAP. I never heard from them or the Condo Management. When I upgraded, I was told my Condo would be more in the center, in a quieter part of the property.. On the 2nd day, I contacted the staff, who told me that my Condo was part of the Royal Garden package??? Advice to anyone booking.... call the Hotel Staff and ask where your Condo will be located. We made the best of it while there. The Condo was well furnished, and well maintained. Remember, there is no Air Conditioning... Window Slats provide all the ventilation, along with ceiling fans. We had no problem with this, especially being upstairs.
The Grounds are beautiful, and the staff was friendly. My brother stayed at the Sheraton, next door, and we had no problem walking between the properties. All in all, except for the room snafu, we enjoyed our stay. Great Shopping center across the street, with Starbucks, and many restaurants, and shops. Also note that Housekeeping Service isn't daily. We had one visit during our stay, which we knew in advance. You can have more housekeeping, but at an added cost.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Ezspirit72
Also consider these accommodations in or near Poipu
Kauai Beach Resort
#4 of 11 in Lihue
Koloa
Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort & Spa

Been to Kiahuna Plantation Resort? Share your experiences!