New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #3 of 29 Specialty Lodging in Poipu
Woodbridge, California
“Be careful of Upgrades”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

When booking this resort through Pleasant Holidays, my original plan was to get the Run-of -the -mill Condo (cheapest cost). I was advised that the Condo's in this price range would be adjacent to a busy road and I would be subjected to traffic noise. Upon this suggestion I upgraded to a Royal Garden View. When I arrived I was assigned a Condo, and was given one at the back of the property adjacent to the busy road. The Staff did allow me to change my room to an upstairs. I contacted my travel agent and informed them of my situation. I was told by her, that Pleasant Holidays would contact me ASAP. I never heard from them or the Condo Management. When I upgraded, I was told my Condo would be more in the center, in a quieter part of the property.. On the 2nd day, I contacted the staff, who told me that my Condo was part of the Royal Garden package??? Advice to anyone booking.... call the Hotel Staff and ask where your Condo will be located. We made the best of it while there. The Condo was well furnished, and well maintained. Remember, there is no Air Conditioning... Window Slats provide all the ventilation, along with ceiling fans. We had no problem with this, especially being upstairs.
The Grounds are beautiful, and the staff was friendly. My brother stayed at the Sheraton, next door, and we had no problem walking between the properties. All in all, except for the room snafu, we enjoyed our stay. Great Shopping center across the street, with Starbucks, and many restaurants, and shops. Also note that Housekeeping Service isn't daily. We had one visit during our stay, which we knew in advance. You can have more housekeeping, but at an added cost.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Ezspirit72

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (481)
Alaska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

This was our first visit to Poipu in 25 years and we had a wonderful time. The setting was excellent and our accomodations were great. We really enjoyed the barbeques scattered throughout the beautiful premises. We will be back!

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Dustypup
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012 via mobile

I liked the location of the condo. We were in number 30 which was a one bedroom one bath. My hubby loved the place. The windows let in plenty of air with the slats. No need for air conditioning. It was a pain to go to the pool though but I heard they are trying to install one in the future which would make this property appealing to the masses. I found the beach access awesome and ocean swimming no problem. I loved the fact that beach chairs were free. We had visitors every night a couple of geckos which was fun for the kids. Otherwise the accommodations are basic no frills. I would ask for this unit again because it was a royal garden view close to the ocean bottom floor. We loved the lanai.

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank mauilovermomoftwo
Gold coast
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012 via mobile

Great location has resturant and small shopping village opposite resort , we stayed in a fantastic one bedroom apartment was at back of complex but still had great views across lawns to ocean, beachfront, room was very spacious and had full kitchen, laundry in complex was useful, great spot make sure you have a hire care to explore island .

• Stayed June 2012
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

We rented a one bedroom condo (#143) at the Outrigger Kiahuna Plantation through VRBO and were extremely pleased with the condo, the grounds and the beach. It is a great location on Poipu and extremely reasonable compared to the hotels that surround it. Only a few of the units actually have ocean views but all the units are within a 100 yards of the ocean and have great garden views. The Plantation is one of the very few locations that has a true sandy beach as well as a fairly well protected cove with great snorkeling right out front. This part of the island has the best weather all year round and is fairly central to all the sites on the island. Check out VRBO for the best rates and Costco travel for the best prices on rental cars.

Room Tip: I would avoid building 38, 39, 40, 41 and 42 if possible as they are three levels an towards the bac...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

We spent 5 or 6 nights in a one bedroom unit at this lovely resort. The grounds are really beautiful with a gorgeous orchid garden close to the Plantation Garden restaurant. The location is perfect, right on the beach with lots of deck chairs and beach towels available for guests to use. In the late afternoon, everyone seems to migrate to the lawn overlooking the beach with a glass of wine to watch the sunset over the sea. Our unit was one of the further ones from the beach but nevertheless it was only a few minutes walk to the beach through the beautiful and very well maintained grounds. Thus this was very pleasant for us although some may prefer the units closer to the beach. Our particular unit itself was quite large, on the second floor on Bldg 40. It has a large living room, dining room and a reasonable kitchen and bedroom. The balcony has a table and 4 chairs plus 2 loungers but we didn't end up using the balcony very much as it was quite sunny most of the time. Others have noted the lack of air conditioning however we didn't find this a problem with the ceiling fan and the pleasant breeze coming in the windows. My one complaint is that the daily cleaning service tended to be quite superficial and some of the bathroom fixtures could use some maintenance and updating. The pool is quite a distance away (across the road) and we didn't use it at all as the beach was so nice.

Room Tip: There is a wide variety of units and prices so select what suits your needs.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

Kiahuna Plantation is conveniently located at one of the better snorkeling spots. The gardens and setting is beautiful, although we didn't quite understand why the lawn was watered to a swamp in places. The cozy apartment units are very similar, with basic furnishings, and well equipped kitchens.
At the desk Gayle, the Expedia local expert, was extremely helpful with information, as well as selecting the best tours and activities for our family. Our absolute favorite activity was the Kauai Sea Riders tour with Captain Tara. Even though weather conditions were somewhat bad, we saw turtles, all kinds of fish, and spinner dolphins. It wasn't in our plans to do a snorkeling trip (none of us have ever snorkeled before), we did this on Gayle's recommendation, and we are so glad we did!
The Kiahuna Swim and Tennis Club was a great spot to go to on windy days, the pool was a hit with the kids, and they also provide towels (different from the ones you get at the plantation for ocean use). The Casablanca restaurant served delicious drinks at poolside.
Highly recommend this spot. We wanted something relaxing, something that didn't feel like a hotel. Outrigger Kiahuna was just right!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars
Also consider these accommodations in or near Poipu
Kauai Beach Resort
#4 of 11 in Lihue
4.0 of 5 stars 2,046 reviews
Koloa
Marriott's Waiohai Beach Club
Koloa
Koa Kea Hotel & Resort

Been to Kiahuna Plantation Resort? Share your experiences!