“Great place -- even with the inconvience”
Review of Aston at Poipu Kai

Aston at Poipu Kai
Ranked #12 of 29 Specialty Lodging in Poipu
Reviewed February 8, 2010

We stayed in the Aston at Poipu Kai for three weeks, January - February 2010. This place has many of the comforts and inconveniences of home! On the plus side, the location is fantastic, just a short walk to beautiful Poipu beach and not far from restaurants and shops. The unit we have is spacious, with 1 bedroom and 2 full baths, washer/dryer, two lanais. There is daily towel service and full maid service at least once a week. The service and management staff have been very informative, supportive, and helpful when needed. For these reasons I would stay here again.

On the negative side, I know that a fussier person would have been annoyed by a number of things. There has been constant construction and repair work being done on and around our unit. During our time here there have been workers constructing new units just outside our bedroom and the full exterior has been painted. The workers begin early in the AM and work all day. The cupboards and fixtures in the unit are worn. We have had to have repairs to the shower, wireless router, and phone in the time we have been here. We also have a very weak signal for our cell phone and sometimes have no service (not a problem of the complex, but our cell provider). There are wonderful, friendly, geckos living in and around the place that we appreciate but that others probably would not like.

We would stay here again, the price is right and the amenities outweigh the inconveniences. and the management is very responsive.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed December 31, 2009

We spent 10 days at Poipu Kai and absolutely loved it. It is in a wonderful location to access the west, south and east shores of the island, but a bit of a haul to get to the north shore. This was our 30th anniversary celebration and we had saved and planned for this for nearly a year. Our travel agent recommended this place from her personal experience, as a very good value for accommodations in this area. We were concerned however, about some of the reviews that we had read. We did not want to have our dream vacation ruined by a bad condo. We then took the advice of previous travelers and contacted the manager of the Aston - Poipu Kai, Eric Napoleon. He is a down to earth guy who understands the concerns of his guests, and will do everything within his power to make your stay a good one. You have to understand that the condos are owned by various individuals and are collectively managed by the Aston. As such, there will be unique differences between each unit. That said, while there we took a tour of several other vacant units and they varied from excellent, to superb. Tell them what your expectations are, and they will have something that can meet them. The key however is to communicate.

The units are essentially set up like an apartment, and ours made us feel like we were right at home. While there were some signs of aging in parts of our unit, there was nothing that made us feel uncomfortable. There was also evidence of recent upgrades as the entire kitchen was brand new. The real beauty of this arrangement is that it allows you the option to cook some meals on your own (we ate our breakfasts in the condo), do some laundry in your unit as needed, and relax comfortably when you're not out exploring. Be aware that none of the units have air conditioning. This is fairly common except in the large hotels, because the temperatures are almost always in the 78-83 degree range during the day and you rarely feel the need for air conditioning. The condo did sometimes get warm and stuffy in the late afternoon or early evening, but we were rarely there at that time. Even so, the units are set up with lots of windows on both ends to allow a good cross flow of ventilation, and they have ceiling fans that also help to move the air. The bottom line is that it was comfortable through the day, and very cool through the night.

The grounds are nice and parts were being upgraded while we were there. The adjacent beach is very rocky and great for a scenic stroll, but not for swimming or tanning. The good news is that on either side of Poipu Kai are two fantastic beaches within a 5-10 minute walk (Shipwreck beach by the Hyatt, and Poipu beach). Poipu Kai is not a resort type location, it is a large sprawling complex divided up into a number of smaller communities. Each community has its own pool (not huge but very adequate), and we were given keys to two of the pools. There are generous amounts of open space between the units so there is a park-like atmosphere. There are not any stores or restaurants in the immediate area of the condos so you feel like you are staying in a large quiet neighborhood. There are however several centers with restaurants, shops, etc. within 5 minutes drive, so you certainly are not in a remote location.

Despite our early concerns, Poipu Kai proved to be a perfect spot for our stay in Kauai, and we would stay there again without a moments hesitation.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
4  Thank thechicagoblairs
Reviewed December 29, 2009

spacious, well equiped (even had body boards, snorkles, beach chairs), great beach. we could have stayed for weeks

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed September 12, 2009

When I go on vacation I don't spend much time in my room so I ask only for clean, quiet, and comfortable. Anything else is an unexpected and pleasant surprise. The Poipu Sands complex at the Aston at Poipu Kai was full of pleasant unexpected surprises. The ocean view from our room was fantastic. We were a short stroll from the beach and at sunrise ours were the only footprints in the beautiful golden sand. It was a perfect stay in paradise for our 20th wedding anniversary and was a great place to stay with 3 kids. If you're looking for a beautiful, quiet place to relax in peace and are willing to cook for yourself, then this is a great place for you. My family and I loved this place and would gladly stay there again in a minute. It was so wonderful that I wouldn't mind spending the rest of my future vacations on Kauai!! Thank-you Nora!!!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank SoCalGail13
Reviewed September 11, 2009

Our unit (132) was large and had a great view! ...but it had old musty smelling couches and chairs that I didn't even want to sit on. The bed also smelled musty. When I notified the front desk, they didn't seem to care. They said that housekeeping would check it out- but they didn't come until more than 24 hours later. - and it still smelled musty. When I returned to the front desk, and asked to be moved to a different unit, the woman told me that I would lose my view...and that if I wanted to be upgraded, I would have to pay more that $50 more per night!!!
There were also Flying cockroaches- I saw 4 of them. The next day there was a sign posted that they will be spraying for roaches. ---great, now I get to breathe poison.

I would have been satisfied, if they would have just upgraded my room., but they didn't . and they didn't seem to care that I was not happy with our room.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
PoipukaiManager, Hotel Manager at Aston at Poipu Kai, responded to this reviewResponded September 16, 2009

I am sorry you did not have a positive experience at our resort. We do our best to ensure that our guests are satisfied and that we meet their expectations.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for giving us feedback on your stay here at Poipu Kai. We truly appreciate the opportunity to improve our guest service levels based upon the comments we receive.

As noted in prior comments on our websites, a lot of the units in our program have been renovated. I apologize that the room you were in was not up to par based on your standards (musty sofa and bed). The Inpsectress did go to the unit to address your concerns regarding the musty smell on the bed and the sofa, unfortunately based on your comments it still did not meet your expectations

You mentioned that the room you stayed in was large and had a great view. I was glad to hear that you appreciated the free upgrade that was given to you, as you had booked a garden view unit and was upgraded into a partial ocean view unit. I apologize that the Front Desk agent you spoke with did not mention the free upgrade you received at check in; and this is why there was the miscommunication regarding the new room you would have received as there were no more partial ocean views available at the time. I apologize for what you perceived as a "nonchalant" attitude from the FD personnel when you inquired about moving units. They are a wonderful and caring staff. Rest assured that I will be working on improving the guest service skills in all departments so no future misunderstandings of this nature occur.

As for the insect spraying that was to be done in your room. We have a professional pest control service that does a routine spraying and check of the room on a routine basis. The note that was left on your door was a friendly notification that the room would be treated as part of our preventative maintenance program regarding our pest control program… The spraying that is done is minimal and safe for the guests. After reading your comment regarding the flying roaches, I called in to our pest control company to have them check the room that you stayed in. They were able to do an additional spraying of the unit based on your comments to us, (thank you for advising us of this). Rest assured when they did the inspection nothing was found…

We care very much about our guests and their comfort. I wish you would have contacted me directly while you were here and advised me of your inconveniences so I had an opportunity to assist in improving your experience prior to your departure.

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Aston at Poipu Kai.

Reviewed August 29, 2009

We had reservations to stay at the Aston Poipu Kai for 4 nights. We booked thru Costco Travel (great experience) and required sleep accomodations for 5. We arrived to check in and only had a place with sleep accomodations for 4, a condo with a sleeper sofa could be available the next day, but it wasn't clean when we checked in at 7 PM. We decided someone could sleep on the wicker couch that night. We got to the room it was hot, we looked all over for the air conditioning controls, there were none. I called the office and they said there was no air in that unit. I asked about the one we were going to move to the next day, and they said none of the units had air conditioning. We were sweating sitting still, I was awake almost all night and called Costco as soon as they were open to get out of the Aston. They were able to move us to a place with air. The grounds were pretting, but we really needed air conditioning for the 90 degree days.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank traveler960
PoipukaiManager, Hotel Manager at Aston at Poipu Kai, responded to this reviewResponded September 1, 2009

Aloha Traveler960,

I am sorry that you did not have a positive experience at our resort. We do our best to ensure that our guests are satisfied and that we meet their expectations.

I am sorry that you were not communicated that the room did not come equipped with air conditioning. We don't get much complaints regarding the air conditioning as the rooms are normally cool with all the windows, trade winds blowing and ceiling fans through out the condo. In fact, we get a lot of comments from guests as they are able to hear the trees, ocean, and birds as there are a lot of open air windows. I was shocked to read of the 90 degree temperature that you mentioned in your comment as temperatures range in the 70 - 80's here on the beautiful island of Kauai.

We care very much about our guests and their comfort. I wish that you have contacted me directly while you were here and advised me of your inconviniences so I had an opportunity to assist in improving your experience prior to your departure. I was glad to hear that Costco travel was able to assist you in finding accomodations that had a/c units in them as they misinformed you prior to your arrival to our beautiful property in sunny Poipu.

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on the ResrotQuest at Poipu Kai.

If anyone has any questions or concerns about our resort, please feel free to contact me directly at ResortQuest at Poipu Kai.

Reviewed July 25, 2009

I spent a night at the Aston Poipu cottage in kauai with my sister and a friend during the month of june because my friend was uncomfortable about spending a night at the kauai beach house because she thought they might have bedbugs. We arrived at the kauai airport early in the morning and the day started bad with the airlines loosing my friend's luggage. However, after we finally got the luggage but we had to wait till 2 pm to check in at Aston Poipu. The woman at the reception gave us the key to out two bedroom cottage. My friend took the bedroom upstairs and me and my sister got the small guest bedroom with twin beds. We were tired and when we looked at the cottage it looked comfortable and clean with its own kitchen. Hardly did I know that it would become a nightmare for a whole month after leaving it. At night when we slept in the room, my sister complained of mosquitos and she went and slept in the living room after short while. I was dead tired after driving whole day so I slept in the guest bedroom with the twin beds. Next day we came back to Oahu after spending a day in kauai. After a day I noticed the bed bug bites on my arms and my whole body. I wasn't sure what it was, it certainly was not mosquito bites. My sister had similar bites as well. When my landlord and house mates and some friends saw the bites they told me they were bed bug bites. These were red blochy bites that were very itchy and lasted for more than two weeks on my body. I contacted my friend and first she didn't believe me because she didn't have any problem in her room. I called the Aston hotel and they also refused to believe me (never apologized) and told me that the maid checked the beds and there were no bed bugs in them. In the mean while I researched the internet and called the department of health and department of entomology and found that we were bitten by the bedbugs. Even after more than a week I didn't hear back from the Aston hotels. The department of health kauai called me back to tell me that in fact the hotel room I had stayed in had bed bugs in it and the hotel had contacted the pest control and room will be closed for two weeks. The person from department of health promised to check on this after two weeks and call me again. The hotel contacted my friend after I send them pictures of bedbug bites because the hotel was under her name even though we paid 2/3rd for the room. Finally the hotel emailed me after about 2 weeks to tell me that their insurer will contact me (still no apologies). In the mean while I found the signs of bedbugs in my mattresses that I had just bought new a month before my sister's visit. I followed all necessary advise from the department of health, oahu and bought some chemical spray from longs drugs that costed me ~ $150 and had to laundry everything (bedding, blankets, clothes etc) in my place that I shared with my room mates and landlords. I also had to vacuum everything and spray all my luggage, mattresses, furniture and floors to make sure I got rid of all the bed bugs and their eggs. It took me more than two weeks to all this which lost me a lot of time along with the stress and agony. In the meanwhile the insurer from Fireman's fund contacted me and left me his phone number. I was in the middle of something while he called so I didn't get to talk to him. I tried calling him back and left him messages but I only got his answering machine. So i had to call the hotel again to request for his email and mailing address. It took another week for him to call me back again and he started asking me about what I had to do and what did I expect him to pay me. I told him about the cost of the sprays and my time labor and stress and that my mattresses worth $500 got ruined because of bedbugs and chemical sprays. Immediately he started arguing and winning about the cost, so i had to tell him that i didn't have the time to argue, i will just send him the estimate via email. He is the rudest ever insurer i have ever dealt with. I had to be away for two weeks and I wrote him a very professional email describing everything and giving my estimate for what my damages were and asked for reimbursement including the rent of the room that I paid. In return he sent me a very rude letter saying that he will only pay me for the cost of the chemical sprays because according to law there was no negligence on hotel's part because they didn't know about the bed bugs. I still feel that they should apologize and pay me for the damages, my labor and time and the pain and stress it caused. It was a very bad experience and I would recommend people to really consider before they rent from the aston hotels. Now I am shy of staying at any hotels in future. I also found out most of the hotels (even high end) in hawaii is infested with the bed bugs right now and department of tourism should inform the travelers about this problem otherwise the bedbugs spread because of the negligence and ego of these big hotels. I have nothing else to say about the Aston hotels after this nightmarish experience.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with friends
4  Thank bedbugbitten3
PoipukaiManager, Hotel Manager at Aston at Poipu Kai, responded to this reviewResponded August 18, 2009

Sorry to hear you did not have a positive experience at our resort and we truly appreciate the opportunity to address your concerns. Guest satisfaction is a top priority with us here at the Aston Poipu Kai. You mentioned that the room you stayed in was "clean and comfortable with its own kitchen" so I am glad to hear that the room cleanliness met your satisfaction when you checked in. Please note we had no knowledge of and there was no prior evidence to suggest the room you and your friends stayed in had any bed bug activity. Our trained housekeeping staff conducts daily checks of all of our rooms as part of our standard cleaning procedures. As you might know, bed bugs often hide in crevices, accompany luggage, boxes, furniture; therefore making it difficult to find even in the cleanest of rooms. They also can be carried in on in-coming guests and remain undetected.

Immediately after you reported the incident, we contacted a pest control agency to inspect the room, and it was also treated at that time as a precautionary measure to ensure the safety and well-being of our guests. As part of our company protocol, we reported your concern to our insurer so we could initiate a claim and have them address your questions and concerns directly.

I did have an opportunity to speak directly with the gentleman from the Department of Health who inspected the room you stayed in and he assured me that he did not see any activity while doing his inspection. In fact, he also advised me that the only information he shares with concerned guests when they call him is the Department of Health protocol followed to inspect a unit for bed bugs.

Thank you for sharing your concerns with respect to the Front Desk Agent. I will investigate this further as guest service is our number one priority.

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Aston at Poipu Kai and for giving us the opportunity to respond.

If anyone has any questions or concerns about our resort, please contact me directly at Aston at Poipu Kai.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Poipu
Kauai Beach Resort
#4 of 11 in Lihue
Koloa
Marriott's Waiohai Beach Club

Been to Aston at Poipu Kai? Share your experiences!