“Fabulouse family location, close to everything and clean”
Review of Aston at Poipu Kai

Aston at Poipu Kai
Ranked #12 of 29 Specialty Lodging in Poipu
Washington State
“Fabulouse family location, close to everything and clean”
Reviewed August 21, 2008

We arrived late on a Friday night and the reception was still open. We went to our condo to find that it was extreamly clean and the ameneties where fabulouse. Tile floor, granite counter tops threwout, new appliences, new cabinetry and a very formaly finished master bath. There was no airconditioning, but we managed very well with the fans and ceiling fans provided. There was a terrace in back that gave a semi private view of the garden area and a quick access to the pool and the family we traveled with next door. This unit 303 in Malualoha was amazing. I will defently come back and request that condo again and again and again. Great price for such plush accomedations. There was a washer and dryer, some beach chairs in the closet, with a boogy board, and the Poipu Beach Broiler was a walk away, as well as Brenneke's, medium pricing and serves lunch in the bar after 2pm that is also the time there Happy Hour started. Kids are ok to be in the bar at lunch time, so we had a few great lunches there. Try the fish and chips. They also make nice mi ties Both were good places to eat. Starbucks was just a 4 minute ride away and located in a shopping area with many other necessary shops, like Whalers general store and gifts, an awsome hotdog shack, never would expect a hotdog shack to be so good, and Keoke's resaurant, good for an expensive dinner. This location is a quick walk to the beaches, Brenneke's and Poipu. Shipwreck beach is a 4 minute drive and well worth the trip for a great beach. It only took about 30 minutes to get to places like WalMart, Costco, Sears, Kmart and other popular places to get good prices for the basics. I highly recomend you visit and ask for condo 303 in Malualoha. There are too many wonderful things to share to post here. We will be back. Not to forget to mention, they have faucets all over the place for cleaning off your gear and body after comming from the beach. There is also a very nice rental place just below the Poipu Broiler restaraunt, just a 6 minute walk down the path. We left very late on a Sunday night and forgot to bring back the rental gear before they closed, so the office took it and handed it in the next morning. Very nice people. I have traveled too Kauai before as well as Maui and Oahu. I can say with great confidence that I am a very good bargin hunter and this is the best condo and location I have ever stayed at. That is even when we stayed in Kapaa, Kaui several years ago.

• Liked — Extreamly close to the beach, pool, gear rental and food.
  • Disliked — That not all of the units where as nice as ours. Our friends had a unit that was less attractive and out of date.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank tracyu

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
  • Korean first
Oxnard, California
Reviewed August 15, 2008

We stayed at the Manualoha condos in the Poipu Kai (three kids, two parents). It was great! The two bedroom condo, which was on two levels, was veryl spacious and overlooked a pretty greenbelt. From the upstairs balcony, there was a bluewater ocean view (though this was a "garden view" condo), which made for wonderful sunsets. Twin beds in the downstairs bedroom and a sofa bed (a little lumpy) in the living room. The master had a king sized bed and a second TV (the other is in the living room). Kitchen had all of the essentials (microwave, coffee maker, stove, dishwasher, refrigerator and plenty of plates, silverware, cutlery, glassware). We had a washer and dryer, which worked fine, though the dryer took awhile to dry things. Great location--easy walk to the beach (Brenneckes or Shipwreck) and centrally located between Waimea and Princeville. Poipu has great weather, Koloa and Poipu have several dining options. If pressed, the bathrooms could use updating, but I am splitting hairs here. I would stay there again (and again, and again), even without the oceanfront location.

• Liked — It was spacious, comfortable, and well located.
  • Disliked — Not ocean front and bathrooms could use updating.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank Poipuvisitor
san francisco
Reviewed August 1, 2008

I had read the reviews of the problems at the Resort Quest properties at Poipu Kai but came prepared. We rented a Garden View House at the edge of the resort beside the Poipu Sands resort. I was there with my three kids, 6 year old, 2 1/2 year old and 8 month old. After five days, my friend saw a cockroach walk across her floor around 10pm. I left a message with reception to contact me in the morning. In the morning, my 6 year old son came up the stairs and saw a live one on the stairs. I called again at 8am and they said they had notifed maintenance. I called again at 9am. At 9.30 a gentleman arrived with fly spray!!!! I called again and requested to speak to the general manager and said that this was not sufficient. Could we change properties or at least have the house sprayed today. He was extremely helpful and guaranteed the house would be sprayed that day. We left for the day. While the spraying did occur, over the next week, my kids found two dead cockroaches which I think the cleaners should have found. My problem with the properties is that the cleaning is not up to scratch. All properties should be extremely clean and this was not a pleasant experience. However, despite everything, we would come back to the area, Poipu beach, Salt Pond, Lydgate Park are all a must see with little ones. Brick Oven Pizza place serves the best pizza and your kids can play with pizza dough while waiting and massages at the Hyatt are well worth it too. We also had access to only one pool at Building 7, however the pool in Poipu Sands is much nicer and larger. And our friends had keys to both pools yet we had only the key to the smaller one which was further away. Odd so worth looking into.

• Liked — Location was great and the house was very spacious
  • Disliked — Cockroaches!!!!
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
PoipukaiManager, General Manager at Aston at Poipu Kai, responded to this review, August 5, 2008
Aloha Sallyann from San Francisco,

I am sorry that you did not have a positive experience at our resort. We do our best to ensure that our guests are satisfied and that we meet their expectations.

I am concerned about your statement regarding the condition of your room. It appears that your general impression of the room cleanliness was influenced by the two roaches you found in the unit that you rented. You had no specific cleanliness dissatisfactions mentioned in your review. Upon personally inspecting the home that you stayed in, the room is very clean an in good condition.

I am glad you called and spoke to me that moring to make me aware of the roaches in your room. I was pleased I was able to assist you with the problem you encountered. I was able to contact the company right away and had the room sprayed later that afternoon with out interfering with your plans or inconviniencing your day. I did follow up our Executive Housekeeper regarding your findings (dead roaches), I am not certain but there may have been a possibility the roaches may have came out after the room was cleaned by the housekeeper. I wanted to assure you that all the units are maintained monthly by a professional pest control company. Unfortunately as guests are on vacation, guests tend to leave doors or windows open.

We care very much about our guests and their comfort. I wish that you contacted me again to advise me of your findings so I had an opportunity to assist in improving your experience prior to your departure.

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on the ResortQuest at Poipu Kai.

If anyone has any questions or concerns about our resort, please feel free to contact me directly at eric.napoleon@resortquesthawaii.com.
Seattle, WA
Reviewed April 19, 2008

*WARNING...LONG POST*
My 12 year old daughter and I arrived in Kauai on 3/28/08. I had booked our stay through Expedia. About a week before we arrived, I read the scary "cockroach" review here. I got nervous, so I called Expedia to see what my options were if we wanted to check out early. They called RQ Poipu Kai, and were told that we would need to either pay a 2 night penalty or check out after 2 nights. Expedia advised that they kept the reservation for 7 nights, but that I should call them if we were not satisfied.
When we got there and checked in, the front desk showed that we were checking out after 2 nights. I explained that we weren't sure what our plans would be (until I made sure there were no cockroaches!), but that we were not planning on checking out early. "No problem", he said. "We will just change it to 7 nights." So he gave us the keys to condo #504 (garden view) in the Manualoha section of the resort. My daughter loved it. I was surprised at how big it was, especially for just the 2 of us. There is a master bedroom on the main floor. And twin beds in an upper loft. She was thrilled that not only would she have her own room (with a TV), but it also had a small deck that overlooked the grounds. It was pretty cute. It has a nice sized kitchen and living room. There are sliding glass doors that open to a lanai.
It was perfectly fine for the price, and for what we needed it to be: A place to cook breakfast and occasional dinner, and a place to put our heads at the end of a busy day at the beach!
However, it could have definitely used a good spring cleaning. The walls felt sort of sticky, and the glass on the pictures on the walls was coated with dust. The remote controls to the TV's had food drips on them. And the showers could have used a thorough cleaning.
After unpacking, we got a phone call from the front desk saying that because they thought we were leaving after 2 nights, we had to move to a different unit in the resort. We were told that we would be upgraded to an ocean view room, and would be very happy.
So, after 2 nights we checked out of #504 and into #115 in the Poipu Sands section. It was more of a "peek-a-boo" ocean view, but I was thrilled with it! It was smaller, 1 king size bed in the master BR. But it was a beautiful unit! It looks like a cute beach cottage, from the blue and white colors to the palm frond ceiling fans. The sliding glass doors opened up to a lanai at the edge of a huge lawn. Beyond that, between the palm trees, we could see the ocean.
It was very clean, and obviously well-kept by the owners. My only 2 complaints are that the bedroom is adjacent to a main road (you hear every car that drives by-day and night), and the plumbing is really loud. It sounds strange, but it was really annoying. During the night I woke up 3-4 times because the toilet started running REALLY LOUDLY. I don't know if there was a problem with our toilet, or if it was just the next door neighbors going to the bathroom every 2 hours. You know when you are in a hotel, and you can hear when your neighbors run the shower? That is what it was like. I guess it was just thin walls. Other than that, it was a fantastic unit!
The grounds of the resort are very well taken care of. We went to both pools, and they were fine. Not very big, but being so close to the beach, they don't need to be big. BTW-We found out on our last day that Poipu Beach has the best snorkeling! We also had 2 big monk seal sunning themselves the whole afternoon. The beach is within walking distance (closer to our first unit), but we had so much stuff (towels, snorkel gear, snacks, etc.) that we just drove. There is a pretty big parking lot across from the beach, so finding a spot was no problem.
My daughter and I had an unforgettable vacation, which was enhanced by a great place to stay!

• Liked — Internet Access, Beautifully Kept Grounds, Friendly Staff
  • Disliked — Some units not as clean as others, Proximity of Beach and Restaurants
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank rachelaf
seattle, wa
Reviewed April 18, 2008

I was very leary from reading some of the reviews but I have to say me and my family thouroughly enjoyed our stay and the Poi Kai Resort. We had a 2 bedroom 2 bathroom garden view. The ground very beautiful and we really enjoyed the pools. The maid came in everyday and gave us new towels and fixed our beds. I really appreciated having a kitchen and laundry. To make the trip home easier we washed all our clothes the night before we left and repacked everything all clean so when we got home we just unpacked. That part was wonderful.

Only thing I didn't like was the access to the beach. Its really thru the grounds and about a ten minute walk and there is the public strip of beach which was a little crowded. Other than that I would stay here again. I would have liked the beach right on the property a little better.

• Liked — The plasma screen tv in the living area and the atmosphere
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank itsmybiz
St Albert
Reviewed April 17, 2008

We are an older couple and were not into island hopping - so we stayed at the resort in Poipu for 2 weeks.

It was all that we wanted it to be. Our accommodation was comfortable and well equipped. This made self catering easy!Every day we received good maid service.

The grounds are beautifully maintained and we had a small but lovely lanai so that we could sit outside and enjoy the wonderful view, admire the plants and see and hear the birds.

We appreciated both of the pools. Every day we were able to walk down to the beach and enjoy the ocean. We did a little touring around the island. For anyone interested in plants and flowers we recommend the tropical gardens near spouting horn - well worth the money for a guided tour.

My husband had never been to the islands before and was blown away by the whole experience - he thought he was in paradise - I would say that where we stayed was like the icing on a gorgeous cake,

We are canadian and would recommend this holiday to anyone who wants to enjoy the warmth of the sun in the comfort of a lovely home. Elizabeth from Alberta Canada

• Liked — Comfort and privacy
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank StAlbertCanucks
Oahu, Hawaii
Reviewed March 28, 2008

Having read the negative reviews, we arrived to move into our condo with some apprehension as to what we would find. Our apartment was clean and well maintained, there was all the necessary cooking utensils for serious cooking, a comfortable bed, internet wireless access, two televisions, music and video players, and a friendly and helpful staff. Our room was cleaned every day with even soaps provided, towels replaced (except for beach towel), and bedding changed upon request. When the iron didn't work properly, they quickly replaced it.

Our experience was excellent. We were glad we took the chance.

• Liked — Feeling at home
  • Disliked — Distance to shops
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank SusieTall
Also consider these accommodations in or near Poipu
Kauai Beach Resort
Kauai Shores Hotel
Kauai Shores Hotel
#5 of 11 in Kapaa
Kiahuna Plantation Resort

Been to Aston at Poipu Kai? Share your experiences!