“Great value!”

Ranked #12 of 30 Specialty Lodging in Poipu
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Great value!”
Reviewed July 11, 2013

Amazing! The condo was fantastic. Large kitchen and living room. Beautiful view. Loved the grills and short walk to the beach. There is a great sports bar right up the road. No air conditioning but there was always an ocean breeze!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Katie N

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
  • Korean first
Fenton, Missouri, United States
Reviewed June 30, 2013

We loved the rooms/condo with comfly beds and great shower! No A/C but who needs it. The lower windows were kept open and we had a fan going. Was not hot at all! Do not be misled by the hotel's photos. We had to walk to the 'public beach'. Our condo faced the road, we heard all of the traffic. It is a large facility with many buildings. Make sure you get the building closest to the beach! The patio did not have any cover. You are int he sun, not a cool and comfortable shade. If I want the sun, I will sit at the beach or pool. Bring your snorkel gear and water shoes! Lots of fish!

Room Tip: Ask for the building closest to the beach! It is a large spreadout facility. See if you can find t...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Southern California
Reviewed June 16, 2013

I was really worried when I read all the negative reviews. I took the advice of many to call ahead and request an updated unit. Well, Kahana 412 is perfect for us! On the ground floor (much easier access) in a mostly quiet complex, we felt very comfortable and the only real noises we heard were birds and some cars on Poipu Road.

The couple who own this unit keep an on-going guestbook and we've read nothing but stellar comments about all of the upgrades and comforts provided. I found myself calling it home after just a day!

Pool was a bit too child-friendly for our quiet needs but we're here on summer break so we can't complain. We love having the kitchen and washer/dryer in unit. We did our grocery shopping the first day and have saved so much money on eating out in restaurants. We're able to come home at night and relax without having to worry about going out for dinner.

I have a few comments to add about this particular unit: the owner has added in handicapped bars in the bathroom and by the stairs down into the living room/kitchen area. That made my life ever so much easier since I have a bad knee and ankle. We added a few things to the kitchen such as a lighter since we were hoping to use one of the charcoal grills but there aren't any, they were only gas nearby (contrary to the map provided to us upon check-in). The promised daily paper is only available in the office, not delivered to your doorstep. We haven't bothered to drive over to get it even though it is part of the $15/day resort fee. The beach is not a short stroll from our location, it is a good 15 minute walk. I was hoping to have some ocean available close but that hasn't happened however, I would never give up this condo just for an ocean view.

The location otherwise is perfect, close to both Koloa and the main roads.The front office was very helpful. I hope others have a positive experience here and post about it. The bad rep this place has is undeserved in our case.

Room Tip: You get your garbage emptied daily. They'll change your towels on Friday. They change sheets on...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Karin1234
Malana d, General Manager at Aston at Poipu Kai, responded to this review, June 22, 2013
THANK you for the wonderful review and sharing your experience. I am thrilled that you had a great time on Kauai and enjoyed the Aston Poipu Kai. I am doing the happy dance, it's a good thing no one can see it! Mahalo - Malana
San Jose, California
Reviewed June 2, 2013

We were booked for 7 days but added 3 more because we loved it so much. Not just 'for the price' (which was very reasonable), but the location and accommodations were just great. Seeing other reviews here, apparently it depends on which unit you get (so check the unit first), but we got a great one. Very comfortable, well equipped (kitchen, washer/dryer/picnic and beach stuff, etc.), quiet and beautiful. Could easily accommodate 4 or more people. We were about in the middle of the complex, so we were about 200 yards from the state beach (3 minute walk, great beach, Brennake's Beach Bistro), and 8 minute walk from The Grand Hyatt and Shipwreck Beach (which you should check out, they have nicer pool and lagoon). Nearby is a fruit stand with fresh fruit every day but Sunday. Check out the nearby resorty shopping, but save money by going to Koloa (a couple miles) and hit Big Save. No A/C? We didn't need it. That part of the island, at least at the time we were there, was very pleasant, not too hot in the day (and the condo felt cool with the ceiling fans going) and cool at night.
We will definitely be staying here again (pending as great a unit of course)!

Room Tip: First floor easy access to grill and larger patios. Some rooms face parking lots, others courtyards...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Dave A
Reviewed May 20, 2013 via mobile

The front desk was awesome the room was immaculate however we upon check out we were immediately told we weren't allowed to use the pool? Really? Security took our name and room number left to verify and then my family was told we had to leave because we were already checked out !!!! Called the front desk at Aston they assured us it was ok and then the supervisor of security asked us if we were guests of the hotel!! Talk about no aloha, we were so upset that we turned in our keys and left!! How rude visitors are allowed to stay there until there flight is ready but locals must leave the premises upon check out!! Double standard shame on you we felt unwelcomed and will never stay there again!!!

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank Mexamarz
Malana d, General Manager at Aston at Poipu Kai, responded to this review, May 25, 2013
I am so sorry that this incident occurred. In reviewing what caused the miscommunication, I have been able to make corrections to the standard of offering late pool use. We now know that we need to inform Patrol Services of late departures, provide our guests with our pool towels and direct guests to utilize the pool within the complex they stayed. We try very our best to be accommodating; and welcome Kamaaina`s and visitors alike.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention so that we were able to take corrective steps.

Mahalo, Malana deSilva
Frisco, Colorado, United States
Reviewed May 20, 2013

I live part time on Kauai and part time on the mainland. When I need to go to work I stay at one of the units at Aston Poipu Kai. We have always stayed in wonderful units. They all have full kitchens, washer and dryer, and internet access. The swimming pools are very nice and quite. If you are wanting to go to the beach it is just a short distance away. I own a cleaning company and am very picky about my accommodations and every time the units have been spotless. I have read where some travelers were disappointed when they didn't have air conditioner. You never need air conditioner in Kauai. The trade-winds are wonderful and there is always good cross ventilation. The staff has always been very pleasant and helpful. Great place at great price.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Coral Springs, Florida
Reviewed May 9, 2013

My wife and I enjoyed our stay at the Aston Poipu Kai as the Condo Unit was clean, very spacious and has all of the amenities of a fully furnished apartment. A washer and dryer is included in the actual condo/room which is a really great advantage. No air conditioning here for some reason but plenty of fans and cross ventilation made for a comfortable sleep in a very nice king bed. I probably should have done more homework on the actual location though as it is a good fifteen minute walk to get to the water on both sides. In addition, the swimming pools contained in the facility are very, very basic, whereas other nearby condo units/hotels have huge seawater lagoons which would have been great for us to use since the oceans were not cooperating in terms of safety levels (red flags up during our stay) In addition, when you do get to the beach areas near the condo, they are nothing special in comparison to other areas of the South Shore (rocky, no tide pools, uninteresting)

The Condo Units are a short drive from the little down town of Koloa where there are several nice restaurants and shops to explore so that is a positive. Again, in terms of the accommodations themselves, very functional and comfortable. In the future, I would very much like to stay in as nice a condo but with an ocean view and closer to the beach...

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank JetSetScott
Also consider these accommodations in or near Poipu
Kauai Beach Resort
#4 of 11 in Lihue
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,243 reviews
Koloa
Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort & Spa

Been to Aston at Poipu Kai? Share your experiences!