“Wonderful get away”

Ranked #12 of 30 Specialty Lodging in Poipu
Frisco, Colorado, United States
“Wonderful get away”
Reviewed May 20, 2013

I live part time on Kauai and part time on the mainland. When I need to go to work I stay at one of the units at Aston Poipu Kai. We have always stayed in wonderful units. They all have full kitchens, washer and dryer, and internet access. The swimming pools are very nice and quite. If you are wanting to go to the beach it is just a short distance away. I own a cleaning company and am very picky about my accommodations and every time the units have been spotless. I have read where some travelers were disappointed when they didn't have air conditioner. You never need air conditioner in Kauai. The trade-winds are wonderful and there is always good cross ventilation. The staff has always been very pleasant and helpful. Great place at great price.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
  • Korean first
Coral Springs, Florida
Reviewed May 9, 2013

My wife and I enjoyed our stay at the Aston Poipu Kai as the Condo Unit was clean, very spacious and has all of the amenities of a fully furnished apartment. A washer and dryer is included in the actual condo/room which is a really great advantage. No air conditioning here for some reason but plenty of fans and cross ventilation made for a comfortable sleep in a very nice king bed. I probably should have done more homework on the actual location though as it is a good fifteen minute walk to get to the water on both sides. In addition, the swimming pools contained in the facility are very, very basic, whereas other nearby condo units/hotels have huge seawater lagoons which would have been great for us to use since the oceans were not cooperating in terms of safety levels (red flags up during our stay) In addition, when you do get to the beach areas near the condo, they are nothing special in comparison to other areas of the South Shore (rocky, no tide pools, uninteresting)

The Condo Units are a short drive from the little down town of Koloa where there are several nice restaurants and shops to explore so that is a positive. Again, in terms of the accommodations themselves, very functional and comfortable. In the future, I would very much like to stay in as nice a condo but with an ocean view and closer to the beach...

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank JetSetScott
Carlsbad, California
Reviewed May 4, 2013

We booked Aston at Poipu Kai based on photos on the web and brochures ... what we got was a place from the 70's or earlier ... mold, old, musty, miles from the beach, no view, nothing. After complaining to the "person" on duty SEVERAL times, she called the manager who lives in Florida ... we were given a "villa" ... ha ha ha ... villa indeed ... more mold, no air conditioning, miles from the beach ... STILL NO ASTON AT POIPU KAI like in the brochures and web site. This was shameful. They kept saying they gave us such an upgrade with the "villa" ... pleazzzzzzzzzze. This is a total misrepresentation and should be against the law. People pay good money to come to Hawaii based on the advertisement in the brochures and web only to find a total mess which is fix by another mess ... and ... I am going to write this review on every site I can find so other people don't make the same mistake. May even let the HI Tourist Board know how misleading the Aston website is ... shameful.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
9 Thank ceckmeder
Malana d, General Manager at Aston at Poipu Kai, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
Aloha! I am very sorry that you were dissatisfied with your accommodations at the Aston Poipu Kai. I am slightly perplexed by the statement that manager lives in Florida, I am the General Manager for the Aston at Poipu Kai and I live in Kalaheo, 10 minutes from Poipu. I agree that some of the condos are architecturally older in design, however, the owners and their association try very hard to keep the landscaping and appearance of the buildings updated.
Very few homes or condominiums have air conditioning in Hawaii. We woke up this morning with a cool 66°FEELS LIKE66°.
Advertising done for the Aston Poipu Kai is created on a regular basis. We advertise many types of condominiums due to the several room types that we have. I would be more than happy to take a look at the specifics of your concerns. My e-mail address is Malana.desilva@astonhotels.com. And the resort phone number/my line is 808 742-7424. We do understand and appreciate that every visitor has a choice in where they vacation. We are glad that you chose Kauai. I do hope that you enjoyed the island.
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I love these condos....always spotless...a fantastic location. Just a short walk to Brenneke's beach and local restaurants. The complex has swimming pools when the surf isn't on the agenda. The staff at the office is always helpful with any questions or issues with the units. They also have an activities desk to help you plan excursions on the island. I've stayed in this complex three times and every time it has been perfect. Just a short drive from Koloa and other dining areas.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank flycou
Reviewed March 31, 2013 via mobile

Nice stay, no real amenities, but the location is nice and parking is included. Ocean view does not in any way mean ocean front. The resort spans a couple blocks.

Beds made me sore (3 star quality or less) and a resort fee is ridiculous given that there are no amenities. For $15 you can go to the front desk and get a newspaper, have coffee in your room and rent 2 dvd's. ?!?

We would stay again, but it's a value deal. Less comfortable than a best western.

• Stayed March 2013
6 Thank Bfro808
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed March 29, 2013

We stayed at the Poipu Sands (which is part of Aston at Poipu Kai) Room 233 booked via an Interval getaway. (Note: Interval doesn't guarantee any room.) This was a two bedroom, two bathroom unit. It was in the middle on the top floor (3rd no lift) in front of the pool (which is far enough away not to be a bother). We could also see the water and beach looking down the lawn/path area.

The unit was well presented, had comfortable furniture and had everything we needed. The master bed was comfortable and the unit was very clean. It had insect screens throughout including the front door which was fantastic. The unit is dated but is not run down (excluding a couple of threads in the carpet). I would definitely stay in this apartment again.

The below is not a list of problems but suggestions for improvements to the unit:

1. Blackout curtains for the bedrooms. (The master bedroom had a window that wasn't covered at all, I do like a dark room, but hey that is just me.)
2. Housekeeping to wipe down the lani handrail to remove the bird poo.
3. Maintenance to grease the sliding doors, they were a bit hard to move.
4. Maintenance to fix the pull cables for the fan/lights (bedroom).

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Laurel, Maryland
Reviewed March 28, 2013

Our accommodations were absolutely spectacular!! We are members of Diamond Resorts International, so we were originally expecting to stay at The Point at Poipu (the Diamond Resorts Property) but based on our travel dates, there were no 1bdrms available here, so they made us a reservation for a 1bdrm garden villa at the Aston property just down the road. I was a little worried at first, but as soon as we walked into our villa all my fears turned to pure joy!! We were in a newly renovated unit that had clearly been updated with all the latest and highly desired touches.
-Comfortable and spacious bedroom with a large closet, safe to keep all valuables, a really cool storage unit set into the wall, and a cute sliding wood door to close off the room
-HUGE bathroom with double sinks, granite countertops, modern fixtures, large walk-in (and sit-in) shower; small toilet area separated by a cute wood pocket door
-Separate dining area with a gorgeous dining table set
-A little desk nook for reading/study
-Beautiful and spacious kitchen with granite countertops, new appliances (large cooktop/oven combo, microwave, dishwasher, fridge); plenty of counter space, cabinets fully stocked with clean dishes, flatware and cookware.
- Large sunken living room with flat screen tv and comfortable couches with matching end tables. Flooded with natural light from windows and sliding doors to outdoor patio and garden
-Laundry closet with stacked washer/dryer
-Recessed lighting throughout, all fans and lights on fans are operated by control panels on the wall in each room

This was the vacation suite of our dreams!! The unit was spic-and-span clean when we arrived, and they courteously provided many little amenities in the room that we didn't expect: powder laundry detergent, dishwasher powder, dish washing liquid, 2 beach chairs, and a beach umbrella, etc.

I was thrilled with the suite itself and the property overall. We were just a short walk to the beach, the parking area was covered and decorated with the most beautiful floral bushes/trees. The grounds were well maintained and clean, with very beautiful landscaping.

I don't know what the rooms at The Point at Poipu look like but we couldn't be happier with our "substitute" accommodations!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Laura B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Poipu
Kauai Beach Resort
#4 of 11 in Lihue
Koloa
Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort & Spa

Been to Aston at Poipu Kai? Share your experiences!