“Keep your expectations low ... REAL low!”
Review of Aston at Poipu Kai

Aston at Poipu Kai
Ranked #12 of 29 Specialty Lodging in Poipu
Reviewed January 24, 2013

First of all, make sure you have very good directions before heading to the Aston at Poipu Kai. There are no address numbers along Poipu Road and the Aston sign is a half a block off of the road. I see that there is some time of stone sign being constructed on Poipu Road, but can't confirm if it will make the search easier or not.

We checked in to a two-bedroom suite in the Makanui complex and were shocked and disappointed. The building was built in the late '70's and the suite was in original condition. Yes, there was a new fridge and the TV's were of this decade, but the rest of the suite including the horribly stained carpets have seen 35 years of hard wear.

The suites are individually owned and I understand that it is up to the owner to renovate, but this suite had been sadly neglected (and smelled like it). Because the office was closed at the time of check-in on a Saturday evening, I went to the office early the next morning. The line of excuses started. I was told that we had to wait until the reservations people were in on Monday. Since I was trying to make things easier by keeping things in the suitcase and holding off on purchasing groceries, this was not a great answer. On Monday, Audrey said that she couldn't do anything because "there were some owners arriving" (come on folks! ... you manage over 60 units!!!). She said that Ashley would have to look into it. Yes, you guessed it, although the buck was passed to Ashley, there was no resolve. At one point I was asked to define "gross", and was told that the housekeeping staff had reported that this suite was actually not as bad as others!!!! While I'm on the topic of passing the buck, I went through the same experience when requesting a late check-out. The decision would have to be made by someone up the food chain.

The location is great, the exteriors of the buildings have been kept up, but the compliments come to a screeching halt at this point. The suite contained dishes and utensils that undoubtedly had been passed up at a garage sale! The plastic cooking utensils could be almost tied in a knot they were so cheap and flimsy. There were a few mismatched tupperware lids and containers that were little to no help when it came to food storage. The carpet was so filthy, that walking in bare feet or in socks was disgusting. Light and fan fixtures were rusty, and even the dated bedspreads were grossly oversized for the beds. We located a couple of heavy, rusty beach chairs for our "enjoyment" in the closet. There should definitely be some sort of standard when it comes to required renovations and necessary furnishings/supplies.

Apparently, my young daughter mislaid the coconut upon which was written "Do Not Disturb", so our room service was skipped. I had taken efforts to move the coconut to a corner and ensure that the message was not readily visible, but I guess this was not proper coconut management technique. When I inquired the next day about the mid-week room service, I was told to go back to our unit to move the coconut. Since we were on our way out of the complex for the day, I appealed for their front desk staff to somehow communicate to the cleaning staff. Fortunately, they found a way for that to occur. (Really??!!) The housekeeping service did a fine job, towels and bedding is nice, but when we arrived home for the day, our unit had been left unlocked. Once all of our valuables had been accounted for, I called the front desk to report this occurance. They replied that they would speak to the cleaning folks.

Now on that topic ... nowhere in the suite were there instructions on how or where to do anything. The coconut was not explained, there was not a guide for TV channels, check-out time was nowhere to be found, phone charges were not detailed, pool times ... you get the picture.

Oh ... did I mention that I had previously read TripAdvisor reviews and took the advice to request a quiet and upgraded suite prior to our arrival??? I suppose a red flag should have been hoisted when I detected the "Whatever" tone from the person on the other end of the phone when I was making the requests.

So, in short (or in long ...) the staff was mostly uncooperative, the accommodations were gravely disappointing, location was good, but again ... keep your expectations to a bare minimum!!!

Room Tip: I wish I could help you find a good room, but obviously, despite my efforts, I was unsuccessful.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
7  Thank searching4sanity
Malana d, General Manager at Aston at Poipu Kai, responded to this reviewResponded January 31, 2013

January 28, 2013
Aloha -
Thank you for taking the time to voice your dissatisfaction with the Aston Poipu Kai. Your comments and concerns are taken seriously.
While we do experience high occupancy during January, February and March, many of the homeowners are here which does constrict the availability options. I am sorry that we were not able to find you a different location.
The staff does ask for more details about the room condition when they are approached with a complaint. Perhaps asking you to define “gross” was a poor choice of words. The information is needed to assess if Housekeeping can help resolve the issue or if it needs to be part of the candid conversation with a homeowner. I will be sharing your comments with the owner regarding the carpet, light fixtures and fans. I have advised the staff regarding the mishap of the front door and have reminded them to ensure that is it secure when leaving.
I will be in contact with Interval International to reconfirm the correct information regarding phone charges, check out time and directions. In the past, this information had been included in the confirmation notice. I apologize that this was not the case for you.
We should have given you a better explanation of how we manage late checkout. The protocol is to check the day of departure. If there is not a new guests coming directly behind, then a grace period is extended. We do offer a half day rate dependent on the guests needs. There is no one else to make this decision or to check with. It is our goal to have every arrival room ready at 3:00 p.m. It is not uncommon for folks to extend their stay one night when they make their reservation. Kauai does have great direct airline fares on the evening flights.
There is a published visitor’s booklet that is free in our lobby and other locations around the island that has the current TV listings.
I hope that you enjoyed the beautiful island.
Best Regards, Malana deSilva

Reviewed January 20, 2013

I thought it was horrible that they mae us pay full price when the electricity went out. Our first night we didn't have a fan, nor were we able to use the refrigerator, oven, washing machine, etc. It was burning up in January--I can't imagine what it would have been like in June, July or August. We had to use or cell phones to find the bathroom that night. I asked the front desk the next day and also the day we checked out, and both times the manager said it was just "bad luck" and there was nothing they could do for us.

In addition, the carpet was stained with mold throughout the condo. The furniture was from the 70s and looked like it had never been cleaned. Just gross.

The only good thing was the view and the location to the beach. But totally not worth it. I would never ever stay here again.

Thanks for nothing, Ashon.

Room Tip: Don't stay here
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank RachelM986
Malana d, General Manager at Aston at Poipu Kai, responded to this reviewResponded January 21, 2013

Dear Rachel - I am sorry that you experienced the overnight power outage during your stay. Kauai is a rural place where we do often have intermittent cable and power loss. In most cases, the issues are fixed within a few hours. The electricity went out approximately 3:00 p.m. and it was the expectation that it would be back on shortly. The power was quickly restored in the nearby restaurants, both shopping villages and local stores in Koloa.
We have not had any outages in recent memory that have lasted as long as this one. The staff attempted several times to contact KIUC but to no avail and there was no information provided on our local radio station. We too were left in the dark. I honestly had no idea that the transformer that supplied power to a few buildings had “blown up” and KIUC had worked on it all night. We did make many adjustments the next day for guests due to the inconvenience. Please e-mail at malana.desilva@astonhotels.com and we will be happy to refund you directly for the night in question.

Reviewed January 6, 2013

The last time I stayed in Kauai, it was on the east side near Lihue. After that trip, I vowed to stay in sunny Poipu so I researched the area extensively for this family trip, 26 years later. Poipu is on the southside of the island and has some of the best beaches. It's a good location to set up camp and explore other parts of the island via day trips. There are ample places to stay ranging from the posh Hyatt to lower budget hotels, timeshares and condos. With our two college-age kids on the trip with us, we needed a larger space with multiple bedrooms and bathrooms. I wanted a full kitchen and living area so we could eat breakfast without going out and fix lunches for our day trips. I used TA to find a mid-level accommodation at Poipu Kai and was very pleased with our stay.

I hadn't specified an ocean-view, but was pleasantly surprised with the view from Makanui 221. It had a king bed upstairs with a large tub/shower, single vanity and semi-private toilet. Lots of closet and drawer space and large ocean-facing window. A bedroom on the main level had two twin beds and a bathroom with a shower, single-vanity and vanity mirror/dressing area. Smaller closet and drawers in this room. There is a full washer/dryer set, kitchen, dining area, living room and ocean facing lanai on the main level. Large flat screen tv and hard-wired ethernet cord are also on this level. No additional TV or ethernet cord and no Wi-Fi.

Overall, the unit is quite dated, but clean and functional. The appliances all worked. The dishes were somewhat mis-matched but adequate. I have never stayed in a rental condo that had great knives so I've come to expect that. Lots of pots and pans for cooking. There are outside grills available. They cleaned and changed the linen at midweek and provided us coffee anytime we asked (pick up at office).

The condo had boogie boards and beach chairs available which was nice. There are three pools for use in the vicinity and the beaches are within 20 minutes of walking. There is a very nice couple in the next door condo who were very helpful in pointing things out to do on the island, including restaurants and activities.

There are lots of complaints about no A/C within these condos. Usually, it is not needed in the winter. We received wonderful breezes from the ocean into this second level condo and often had to close the windows because it was too chilly at night. The sound of the surf during one stormy evening also required us to shut the windows.

The amazing Grand Hyatt Regency is a 5-10 minute walk away if you want a fancy dinner or bar. The grounds there are beautiful so you should at least visit.

When we got home, one of my children realized she'd left a book at the condo. Management found it and it is in the process of being shipped back.

Overall, I'd strongly recommend this location and particular condo if visiting Kauai.

Room Tip: Makkanui 221 is a great condo. Bring your own beach towels. Pack light and bring laundry soap. Tr...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank SunriseAddicted
Reviewed January 2, 2013

We stayed in a 3 bedroom/3 bath condo here, and it was just beautiful! The check in area was a little hard to find since it is not connected to the property, but not a big deal. Everyone in our group raved about it. There was a big table on the balcony so we could eat our meals outside, and was very relaxing and peaceful. It is located a very short walk from the beach, which isn't really good for swimming - the waves are pretty rough, but the beach is beautiful. Only complaint was it was supposed to be ocean view, but could only see the ocean from far right side of the balcony, but we weren't there enough for it to matter too much. Truly a great and relaxing place.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Bill K
Reviewed December 26, 2012 via mobile

Just visited Kauai and stayed 3 nights.
A/c was not needed this time of year. With natural breeze flowing round the clock, I don't think A/c is really needed. The rooms are older. However, it is a good value of the price one pays.

• Stayed: December 2012
2  Thank AZvisito
Reviewed December 2, 2012

We had a group of six adults and were supposed to have a three bedroom condo. One bedroom had a children's single bunk bed with a bathroom up a circular staircase. Fine but for 6 seniors not what I wanted. Another room had a pull out couch but no blinds on any of the windows. The entire place looked as if the last update of the furnishings was done in the mid-fifty's. The whole unit looked old and not very welcoming. Last but no least there was no air conditioning, Being in Hawaii with the average temperature was 82-85 degrees it was unbearable. We were supposed to stay four nights but have to go to the Marriot are one. Please don't be disappointed like we were, don't under any conditions stay a the Aston at Poipu Kai

Room Tip: Don't stay unless you like spiral staircases
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Pat K
Reviewed November 11, 2012

We have stayed in Kahala three times, twice in a unit let by Suite Paradise for the owner and once in a unit managed by Aston that was arranged via Costco Travel. The Suite Paradise unit had nicer furnishings and electronics and was a little larger, but was also more expensive. Both have good beds and comfortable furniture. Second floor units are desirable because they have good ventilation due to good design and ample ceiling fans. We requested the second floor and Aston honored that request. In fact, we had a pretty good ocean view from our "garden view" unit.

The Aston staff - both desk and housekeeping - could not be more accommodating and helpful. They seemed genuinely concerned that we had a great time and that all of our needs were met. The grounds are beautifully maintained, as are the pools. One of the pools Kahala units can access is walled and always at least partly shaded. This is a plus when the winds kick up and/or you have had enough sun for the day.

It is a short walk over lawns and through gardens to Brennecke Beach - not good for swimming, but great for boogie boarding and turtle watching - and the adjacent Poipu Beach, which is a great swimming beach for everyone from young kids to capable snorkelers.

There are also walking paths that lead through gardens and over greenbelts to the Hyatt property and along Shipwreck beach (also not very swimmable) and beyond that there is a nice walk over the cliffs to the east of the Hyatt. Stunning views and interesting geology along the cliffs.

Groceries are close (a ten minute drive at most) in Koloa, at both Big Save and Sueoka's. You can walk to Brennecke's restaurant and Kalapaki Joe's is even closer (also less expensive and very relaxed).

We really like Poipu Kai in general, and Kahala in particular.

Room Tip: Ask for a unit above the ground floor and away from the road.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Jane H
Also consider these accommodations in or near Poipu
Kauai Beach Resort
#4 of 11 in Lihue
Koloa
Marriott's Waiohai Beach Club
Koloa
Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort & Spa

Been to Aston at Poipu Kai? Share your experiences!