“About the healthiest around--but not cheap”

Living Foods Gourmet Market and Cafe
Ranked #20 of 37 Restaurants in Poipu
Cuisines: American, European
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch
Description: Living Foods Gourmet Market and Cafe, located in The Shops at Kukui'ula,They offer over 3,000 items in the market including organics, gluten free products, local produce and much more.
Reviewed January 18, 2011

My husband and I were looking for a place that had healthy, delicious food and we found Living Foods in the Kukui'ula Shopping Center. It's kind of like Whole Foods Lite. It's about the healthiest around, but you're still paying tourist prices, so there are no bargains here.

It's nice to buy your food and eat outdoors in the sun on the table or two they have there, but if the weather's rainy, you'll be relegated to eating indoors at a communal table, surrounded by people who you don't know. We ate there on a rainy day and one of the workers there insist on playing what he thought was chic jazz in the background, but was just jarring noise. I asked one of the staff to put on anything else and she obliged, but another person who worked there went right back and put on the awful music. We took our food, ate in the car and never went back after that.

So... lousy music, good food, not-so-good prices.

Reviewed December 21, 2010

Think of a mini Whole Foods on Kauai.This is more of a gourmet food Store than restaurant with an excellent variety of wines, cheeses, fresh fish etc. The food counter serves terrific salads, pizza and sandwiches.

Reviewed December 13, 2010

The food is very good with a fair price. The service is on Hawaii time so it is a bit slow. Their coffee and lattes are great and the market offers lots of specialty foods. The people are wonderful and it's a fun stop first thing in the morning to eat in or take away.

Reviewed November 9, 2010

We had breakfast at this small natural food store after shopping for our 5 day vacation in Poipu. I ordered a $10 breakfast pizza which was great, except that the menu didn't say that it was chock-full of onions, which I hate. The rest of the ingredients were a this, crackly crust, yukon gold (I think) potatoes, mozzarella, bacon, and and an egg on top. I scraped the onions off as best I could, and ate what was left. I also had a mocha, which cost $4 but was totally worth it.
My husband had one of their strawberry and dark chocolate muffins, which came still warm from the oven, and was really tasty. I think it was $5 or so.
Overall, the food in the store itself is overpriced, but to me it's worth it to not have to go into one of the national chain supermarkets and sift through all the brands to find organics and natural foods. Also, the people working in the store were very friendly amd helpful.

Reviewed October 28, 2010

We had lunch on the patio after ordering at the counter. The food is fresh and health food styled. We had lovely salads, though I thought the amount of "free range" chicken in my Chinese chicken could have been a bit more generous making it a bit expensive for what I got. Later we bought sweet rolls for breakfast in our condo and they were very good. The market, itself, quite small with up scale (read expensive) goods for the condo class.