“great family time!”

Reviewed August 25, 2014

2  Thank T K
There are newer reviews for Koloa Landing Resort

Reviewed August 21, 2014

My husband and I stayed in a 2-bedroom villa. Everything was really nice, I wish we could have stayed longer. We went to the pool and hot tub every night and there was never anyone around. The big drawback was the construction is a big eye sore and no direct access to the beach.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family

London
Reviewed August 19, 2014

1  Thank A Wyndham traveler
Reviewed August 18, 2014

I expected a lot more for the price we paid. There is currently no beach access from these condos to the beach due to construction fencing. The trail is blocked off. To walk to the beach or the nearby shopping center you have to walk up to the main highway. The fencing also spoils the view (we stayed in the same unit as the last review, building 9, unit 306). Another warning: the "free wi-fi throughout" advertised on their web site is for 2 devices only. Other devices cost $9.95 per day each for wi-fi access. After paying 5 grand to stay here for 8 nights, I didn't expect petty charges like that.
Also, our unit was not ready when we arrived at 2:00, which I understand. We went to lunch and returned at 3:45, and it still "wasn't ready". We wandered around the pool, and magically, at exactly 4:00 it was "ready". I totally felt like they were jerking us around. Towards the end of our stay we saw another family wandering around the pool in street clothes at 3:45. I think they just don't like letting people check in until exactly 4:00, which felt rude, especially for this price.
Other negatives: No restaurant or pool bar. Nobody tending the "bar" in the lobby at any time (now I understand after reading in the last review that they didn't have a liquor license). They only change the bed linens every 3 days, which is OK, but on the days they don't change them, they don't even make the beds. Also no sweeping or vacuuming. I expected closer to full maid service. All they did was empty the trash and change towels.
Positive: The unit was very spacious. It had a great spacious lanai, with nice furnishings. It was pretty clean, except for sticky stuff on the doors of the kitchen cabinets. The staff seems to do their best except for the checking-in part. One day we requested an extra sheet for the sofabed and a remote (we only had 3 for 4 TVs), and they were delivered promptly. Later I found 3 remotes in a drawer under the oven! The pools were very nice, although my husband complained about the lack of depth (4 feet is the deepest).
We stayed previously at Marriott Waiohai Beach Club, for a lower price. The unit was smaller, but we could walk directly from the pool to the beach and back again. We could walk down the beach to Brennecke's in 15 minutes or less. Knowing that their beach access and view are spoiled, I think Wyndham should be charging less for these right now. Location, location, location!

Room Tip: Get a room on a high floor so you aren't looking directly at the construction fencing!
4  Thank jeanneo243
Reviewed August 16, 2014

As everyone has already stated in their reviews, the nightly rate for a 2-3 bedroom condo is way cheaper than the hotels on the island and the space you get along with the huge deck is worth it. We just returned from spending 5 nights here in building 9 room 306 and were very happy with our stay. Building 9 overlooks the ocean which is about 150 yards away but you'll probably need to be on the 3rd or 4th floor for the view. You'll overlook their grounds and then there are a couple houses outside the Koloa Landing fence line prior to the ocean. The rooms and amenities match what you find on their site. The large lanai is great as you can open up all the windows and enjoy the outdoors. There is a table and chairs to eat and some other comfy chairs to relax outside.
The property has 2 pools, one adult pool that has a couple waterfalls and a hot tub. It's not a pool you'll swim laps in though and is somewhat small. Mainly for just laying out and jumping in to cool off. The other pool is a kids pool and is pretty big. There is a small section that is about 1 ft deep and then the other sections are 3 to 3.5 ft and one area that is 4 ft deep. The pool has chairs and surfboards to rent for the beach. This is definitely a pool you could feel safe letting your kids go around themselves due to the shallow depth. Sure wish they had a slide for the kids though but they didn't seem to miss it.
On the grounds they have a mini soccer pitch, a practice putting green, and a volley ball court (on the grass). They also have a basketball goal in the parking lot. So there are other things to do there.
There is a path to walk on to get to Poipu beach although it was closed while we were there. With small kids I think it's quicker and easier to drive to Poipu beach than to walk in my opinion. I think the kids would be complaining halfway to the beach - at least my kids would be.
We didn't get a meal plan and there's really no reason for it. My wife did go down to the market in the lobby and said it was expensive (not surprising) and it wasn't very good, plus the lady working there wasn't real friendly and got her order wrong.
There is a shopping center with lots of restaurants and stores about a 15 min walk from the complex or you could drive over if you have small kids.
We had a great time here, I wish they had a slide at the kids pool and served some drinks at the pool. Supposedly they got their liquor license the day before we left so hopefully they start offering that. Having a grill on the lanai would be great too but they do have them at the kids pool at least.

Room Tip: Building 9 is at the backside of the resort with no buildings behind/next to it so you'll defini...
2  Thank mr_hand
Reviewed August 14, 2014

We just returned from a 10 day stay in Kauai and Koloa Landing. There were 6 in our party so the 3 bedroom/3 bathroom fit our needs. At first I was worried about which building, construction, is it too far from the beach??? Set your mind at ease and just go and enjoy! I requested building 6 on a high floor and Ashely really took care of us. We ended up in room 304 facing the ocean, the adult tranquility pool (the waterfall sound will put you to sleep!) and the gardens where we were able to pick limes and mango's. Lovey graciously greeted us upon arrival and gave the story about the Hawaiian lei and then gave us each one. Our condo was beatifully appointed and very clean. The only complaint I would have is the bed in the master is sinking in and should probably be replaced, my back hurt each morning. We arrived on the Costco travel package which meant we got breakfast each morning which was yummy. If you are worried about not being directly on the beach, don't. You will more than likely drive to several different beaches to see more of the island. My husband and I took a walk each morning which extended along the back of the Sheraton, and we remarked how happy we were not to be stuck in such a small hotel room. Highly recommend, you will be very happy! BTW, no construction while we were there.

Room Tip: Building 6, 3rd or 4th floor. I personally think they should make building six an all adult buildin...
2  Thank Scottsdaletravelmom
Also consider these accommodations in or near Poipu
Kauai Beach Resort
#4 of 11 in Lihue
Marriott's Waiohai Beach Club
Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort & Spa
Koa Kea Hotel & Resort

Been to Koloa Landing Resort? Share your experiences!