I just got home from Po'ipu last night. We spent a week at the Koloa Landing and it was fabulous! From the minute we pulled in to the resort, I knew I had made the right decision.
At check in, the front desk staff were friendly and helpful. They greeted me with a kukui nut lei and were quick to get me checked in. Once they knew my husband and toddler were in the car, they took leis out to them as well. The staff gave me the run down of where to find grocery stores, restaurants, etc. I didn't have to ask for this information, they volunteered it, which was really great.
We originally requested a 1-bedroom villa, but were surprised to receive a 2-bedroom when we walked in. The villa was gorgeous and very spacious. The furniture and decor was very tasteful. Not the tacky wicker stuff I've seen in condos on Maui. The decor felt like something I'd want in my island home (if I had a home and a decorator to put it together for me!).
My husband thought the couch in the villa was a little uncomfortable. But I didn't mind it as much. We both agreed that the bed was crazy comfortable. Wow!
The kitchen was beautiful with granite and high-end appliances. My only criticism is that I had no idea how to use the fancy microwave/convection oven. I don't own anything that high end. ;o) It is a totally minor complaint. I would suggest to management they leave a mini "how to" guide on the appliances. They had one for other villa features.
The first night we had problems with the bathtub drain. We couldn't figure it out. We called the front desk and they had a maintenance man to us in under 10 minutes. He was quick to fix the tub (come to find out it was stuck and not us!). And more impressive, the front desk called almost immediately after his departure to make sure the gentleman stopped by and fixed the tub to our satisfaction. Wow! Great follow up!
A couple times we were in the villa when housekeeping came. Both the ladies taking care of us were very nice and the one later in the week would chat with you while working. She was very personable and sweet. She was concerned about waking my toddler. I wish I had gotten her name to give her kudos with management.
We were in building 6 and it is fantastic. You have the quiet pool on one side and the lagoon pool on the other. My 22-month-old LOVED the lagoon pool. We were in it every day. It has a baby area that is only 1 foot deep with a rock version of "Kaua'i" in the middle. It was perfect. She could swim, splash and play. There was also a selection of balls, noodles and squirt guns to play with, which added to the experience. The only thing I'd add is some small kick-boards. Those would have been nice to have.
I was impressed that maintenance was on top of the pools as well. We could see the "quiet" pool from our lanai, and every morning like clockwork, the pool guy was out there vacuuming and skimming the water. I've owned a pool and can say that daily vacuuming is impressive!
The grounds are lovely and there are some amazing outdoor "kitchens" for barbecuing. At the time we were there, they seemed to be underused. You really didn't have much of a wait (if any) to get one. The property also has a volleyball court, putting green and a basketball "court." Although the basketball was just a hoop in the parking lot. Not really a court at all. But still good for a pickup game if you had a ball.
The location of the resort was great. It is on the west end of Po'ipu, and really closer to Koloa than the other resorts. It is an easy 5-10 walk to the Kukui'ula shopping center and it's Wednesday gourmet farmer's market.
The beaches are a quick 5 minute drive from the resort. You could theoretically walk to the Po'ipu beaches in 20 minutes or so--depending on the beach--but it is a quick drive and we never really had issues finding parking. If you are going to Baby Beach, just walk. It is in a residential area and parking there was more challenging the day we went.
I walked down to check out the other resorts I considered. Once I saw the Sheraton, Hyatt and others, I was so pleased with my decision. Koloa Landing is not on the beach, but that is the only thing missing. The other resorts were huge, and looked less personal. They were just mega hotels. Plus, in full honesty, we only went to the beach twice during the week so staying on the beach wouldn't have gained us much. We had more fun in the pool and we could see the ocean from our room. Who needs sand in your pants anyway?! ;o)
Overall, I can't say enough positive things about this resort. Wyndham has done it right on this one. We enjoyed it so much, we're already talking about returning next year for a visit. If/when we return to Kaua'i, we will certainly stay at this property again. It was a fabulous experience.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Koloa Landing Resort at Poipu, Autograph Collection is nestled in the heart of Poipu on the sunny South Shore of Kauai next door to some of the best shopping & dining on the island at the Shops at Kukui'ula Village and a short stroll from world famous Poipu Beach. Situated on 21 acres of lush tropical foliage, the resort boasts the largest accommodations on the entire island - from deluxe studios, to 1, 2, 3, & even 4 bedroom luxurious villas ranging from 500 to 3,600 square feet - making them perfect for couples and families alike. Each studio is complete with a kitchenette and full size washer/dryer, while the villas feature full kitchens, expansive lanai, washer/dryer, and private bathrooms for every bedroom. The resort also includes three incredible resort pools - a 350,000 gallon signature pool complete with swim and walk-through grotto, waterslides, and poolside cabanas, as well as a 6,100 sq ft family lagoon pool and 2,000 sq ft waterfall adult pool. In addition, the property partnered with world-famous chef, Sam Choy, to open the Holoholo Grill, a poolside bar & grill serving Hawaiian comfort food and island libations. Other amenities include a 4,000 sq ft day spa, 24-hour fitness center, lobby bar, family activity fields, and more. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Orbitz, Marriott, Hotels.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Hotwire, HotelsforEveryone, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your Koloa Landing Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Koloa Landing At Poipu Beach Hotel Poipu
- Koloa Landing Resort Kauai/Poipu