“Great Seafood”
Review of Red Salt

Red Salt
Reserve with OpenTable
Red Salt is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #5 of 37 Restaurants in Poipu
Cuisines: Asian, Seafood, Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Koloa
Description: Red Salt’s diverse menu by acclaimed Executive Chef and Kauai native Noelani Planas celebrates fresh Hawaiian seafood and produce in a casual, yet sophisticated seaside atmosphere. Modern dinner cuisine including vanilla bean-seared mahi, ahi tartare, and the decadently layered Red Salt burger are served in a contemporary setting. Select nights, the Red Salt Lounge is host to a sushi bar featuring the day’s freshest catch in innovative, isle-inspired rolls. Lounge and sushi bar seating are not available for reservation and is first come, first served. During morning hours, Red Salt offers tropical takes on traditional breakfast dishes, such as lobster benedict and lemon-pineapple soufflé pancakes, recently featured by Food Network.
Reviewed January 15, 2013

Although this restaurant does not have a view (it is inside the Koa Kea hotel), the setting is actually very nice and cosmopolitan for Kauai. We had a combination of sushi and cooked fish and everything was very good. A little pricey yes but the food was worth the outlay in my opinion.

Reviewed January 13, 2013

The food and service was great. We ate here for sushi at the bar one night, which was really delicious and unique. The sushi chef makes up his own recipes and all were unique mixes of traditional and island flavors. The main dining in the Red Salt was also great. All the food tasted very fresh and was nicely prepared. Defiantly eat here...it is worth the money.

Reviewed January 13, 2013

The only thing that keeps me from giving this an excellent rating is that I reserve that for the finest of restaurants we have been to around the world. This was very, very good. We'll be back! A very good value as well, BTW.

Reviewed January 12, 2013

Talk to Justin at the bar on Tuesday thru Saturday. Ask for a "stack". Best sushi around, hands down.

Reviewed January 12, 2013

First let me say that I do not have the taste buds to appreciate red salt. So I issue a warning to those who have never sprinkled it on their food--taste it first as it is overpowering and almost burning. My husband and I requested that no red salt be in our food.

We came here on the recommendations of other diners on this site. We are in the minority because we think this food is average at best. this is a restaurant that struggles to be fine dining. It is true we come from a big city in a neighborhood that has well known chefs like Gordon Ramsey and Wolfgang Puck. We are used to very good food when we go to a fine dining restaurant so perhaps our tastebuds are set to a different standard. This place just does not cut it. The salad of greens had nothing else in it but a few sticks of zucchini and was plentiful, but who cared? There was not much in it to talk about. The cream of mushroom soup was hard to identify because there was not any mushroom taste and the main seasoning seemed to be salt. Not even a drop of sherry to make it interesting. The smoked salmon martini was chopped up lox,onions and tomatoes in a glass with a drop of chile water sprinkled on it. This last ingredient seemed to be mentioned for effect in the menu but was nowhere to be tasted when eaten. If it was supposed to enhance the taste, the chef was wasting his chile water. I had seared Ono in a pan which was quite ho hum and on the side bits of potatoes mixed with chopped crabmeat. What a waste of crab! My husband had a choice of pork to be cooked medium done or well done. Since we were afraid of trichinosis, he ordered it well done. It arrived like shoe leather. When I went to taste it, it was so hard it jumped out from under my fork and practically flew across the room. We could not quite identify the mishmash that came with it, but it may have been some sort of chopped potato hash. This chef likes chopping. We declined dessert after having quite enough dinner, but we couldn't escape easily because it was my birthday and we were presented with a huge mound of cotton candy. The waitress said the flavor was lemon lime with some cheese ,I think ,which sounded awful. Well, not to worry because it had no taste t all. It tasted only of spun sugar if you can call that a flavor. The best part of the meal was the bread. It was not served--you had to ask for it. And the butter although almost melted, tasted sweet and fresh. So that was it. If you like this place, you will no doubt like many others around here. But I think I'll stay home and do my own cooking.

Been to Red Salt? Share your experiences!