My family stayed at this resort twice since fall 2010, once in a three bedroom (D 200 level) and most recently a four bedroom (F300). Between the two stays we have been here around five weeks. I have also toured the B300 and the C300 suites. The C300 suite is our favorite – with amazing furniture, original artwork and stunning views.
First thing I’d say is that although there are very nice hotels nearby (Hyatt, Sheraton, Marriott and on the north shore in Princeville the St. Regis) I stay here instead. Here’s why:
(a) Perfect for the little ones in the family. There is a nearby (10 mins walk) children’s beach and there is a closet in the A100 building full of kids’ toys. From sand shovels to boogie boards. This means as a parent you don’t have to pack these things or buy them on island. If the beach gets boring you can always head down to a safe and clean pool. Because a lot of folks bring kids you may here some typical crying on occasion. It’s not a big deal and you’ll definitely understand if you have kids.
(b) With a larger party of eight – hotels don’t offer a comparable price to value alternative. Try to price out the St Regis or Sheraton for 4 bedrooms and your head will spin at how expensive it can be. In addition suites like the F300 offer a huge terrace that allows age groups to play, sit, drink or eat at their leisure. These types of shared spaces are important to my friends and family during longer vacations and are hard to find at larger hotel chains.
(c) Poipu is a great location and jumping off spot for the family. Great surfing, boogie boarding, snorkeling, kids beaches all nearby. In addition, some wonderful shopping, eating and golfing in nearby resorts.
(d) If you like hiking, most of the great hikes are near the Waimea Canyon which is a 75 min drive. What I found though is that those who want that level of excitement won’t mind driving. Your tastes and priorities may differ.
(e) If you like running or walking there are amazing walking trails that take you all through the planned Poipu Kai resort facilities. In addition you can run to Old Koloa Town (miles roundtrip) or alongside nearby Ala Kalanikaumaka Street.
(f) Responsive staff. Upon arrival both property managers greeted us, gave me their personal cell phone numbers and I have been able to reach them immediately via text messaging to have the unit cleaned or ask questions.
(g) The kitchen was 1st class and the pots and pans were heavy duty. We eat in a lot and used the kitchen a lot – we didn’t see any big issues here.
(h) This is a condo so expect to do your own laundry, buy your own groceries and take out your own recycling & trash. If you want to be pampered more – go to St Regis or Hyatt but also expect a different price point without larger communal areas. Only a few of the units have ocean views. If that is a priority for you then request B200 or C300 level suites.
(i) If you are with kids do be advised that the 300 level suites open directly from the elevator to the suite. While there is security on the way up, there is no security on the way down. In other words there is nothing to prevent a child from hitting the elevator call button and jumping in and heading down other than common sense or respect for elders who advised them otherwise. This was never an issue for us but it may be a priority for your family.
My viewpoint is that of a person who travels 40%+ for the last two years globally (through North and South America, Asia and Europe). I am a Starwood Preferred Guest Platinum and Marriott Gold preferred guest. Happy traveling!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Villas at Poipu Kai is a new boutique resort, situated in the heart of the Poipu Kai Resort. One of the finest properties ever developed on the island, these Poipu vacation rentals include 3-4 bedroom poolside villas and 2-4 bedroom garden villas. The Villas are luxurious throughout, including gourmet kitchens with granite countertops, custom cabinets, and SubZero refrigerators. Completely furnished with decor to compliment the plantation style, the poolside villas offer hardwood and tile flooring, natural stone bathrooms, and expansive lanais that extend the living area outdoors. Mountain, ocean, and pool views enhance the experience. A tropical pool, hot tub and water features are surrounded by island landscaping. Each villa includes central air, a true luxury on the island, and The Villas is the only condo property in Poipu Kai with its own exercise facility. Along the five-minute stroll down the tropical greenbelt, you will pass the Poipu Kai tennis club and pool on your way to famous Kauai beaches. And world class golf is just a two iron away. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Hotwire and Agoda so you can book your The Villas at Poipu Kai reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Villas At Poipu Kai Hotel Poipu
- Hotel Poipu Kai
- The Villas At Poipu Kai Kauai