“Perfect Place to Stay”

Ranked #21 of 29 Specialty Lodging in Poipu
Stephens City, Virginia
“Perfect Place to Stay”
Reviewed May 2, 2005

We had a perfect week in Kauai. Our accommodations at Castle Makahuena at Poipu were perfect. The service was excellent, the people at the front desk were friendly and very helpful. Upon arrival we received an upgrade to a two bedroom ocean view unit. The unit was immaculate. We had a great ocean view, throughout the week we saw whales break the surface. We could not have asked for better ‘base camp’ from which to launch our travels on the island. Our sincere thanks to the great people who make this a wonderful place to stay. When planning our return trip we will stay here again.

• Stayed April 2005
7 Thank Oysterharbour

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Reviewed February 28, 2005

My boyfriend and I stayed here last year Jan. and found it to be a very great place to stay. The 2bd we stayed in was fantastic. When we checked in the reservationist was very friendly, which was great considering we're local residence. And since we're local residence sometimes we don't get the best treatment in some of these bigger resorts. It had a full kitchen with living and dining areas. The master bedroom had a king size bed with it's own bathroom. The other bathroom had 2 twin beds and a bathroom in the hallway. Since we live on the island some of our friends came over and our biggest surprise was that the room had board games and even came equipt with DVD's! We all ended up watching "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" at the Makahuena (which by the way I though was a great movie). Overall it was a great atmosphere and we had a pleasant time. Because of our experience here, when our accommodations are sold out, I recommend the caller to this resort.

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 1, 2005

My wife and I were pleasantly pleased with the accomodations at Makahuena Poipu during our stay January 7-12, 2005. Contrary to the comments made by the visitor of January 17, we found Evelyn to be a most pleasant and accomodating person. Because of our wonderful experience we are in the process of planning a return stay at the Makahuena.

• Stayed January 2005
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Cheshire, England
Reviewed December 31, 2004

Stayed here for a week over Christmas 2004.

We had a two bedroom 'ocean view' unit. I think some of the units are privately owned and therefore, they are all a little different in terms of furnishings etc.

The one we had was not at all like the pictures on Expedia, but it was ok - clean, simply furnished.

The complex is well located within easy walking distance to Poipu beach.

Only downside - The pool is small and seemed to get quite busy.

Overall - highly recommended.

2 Thank cheshireman
Reviewed December 19, 2004

If you stay at the Makahuena be sure to get an oceanfront unit. The view is amazing! We saw turtles every day and one day a pod of dolphins passed by. The only drawback is getting to these units, it's quite a journey down a series of stairs. I took a tour of condo #5201, which is in the "deluxe oceanfront" category and it was huge with an even better view as it had more windows. This is the room category that they show in the picture you always see of the Makahuena. We were very pleased with our condo. My only 2 complaints were no air conditioning and there were little bugs in the kitchen that you just couldn't get rid of. We had the pool and hot tub to ourselves almost every time, which was great. The one thing I don't miss is the HUGE flying cockroaches we kept seeing (not in the condo but outside). I can do without those. I really enjoyed our stay at the Makahuena but I need air conditioning (my mom can't handle it so I had to choose a condo that didn't have it) and it got rather warm in the condo a few times. If you get a chance be sure to try some malasadas (hot doughnuts), they are fabulous!

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Santa Barbara, CA
Reviewed October 2, 2004

My wife and I spent a week there from Sep 25 to Oct 2. We paid $1000 for 6 nights and got the 7th night free.
Our unit (1103) was spacious and clean. We used available appliances (fridge, washer, dryer, etc.) sparingly but they all work, and they seem new.
The whole complex is quiet, and not all units are vacation rentals. I met several people who actually live there. We had little contact with staff, because we didn't need to and it's a good sign for me. There is a tennis court within the complex, which was important for us.
There are so many things to see on the island, and if you go there for the first time you are going to drive around a lot and it doesn't really matter how close you are to any particular beach. But if you want to spend your time on one or two beaches, Poipu Beach is nearby, while another great beach Salt Pond is 20 minutes drive to the west.

3 Thank sascha93101
Reviewed September 26, 2004

I recently spent a week at the Makahuena at Poipu and found it thoroughly relaxing. I was upgraded without asking and had a large, very quiet 2 bedroom condo. Several days I had the pool all to myself. It felt like a quiet retreat. The staff was inconspicuous and very helpful when needed. Altho' the property doesn't have it's own beach, the rooms are quite near the rocky point so the views and sounds of the surf are always there.

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member