“Old school - but perfect for our family”

Castle Makahuena at Poipu
Ranked #22 of 30 Specialty Lodging in Poipu
Hornby Island, Canada
“Old school - but perfect for our family”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2014

There are more modern places in Poipu, but we found our accommodations at the MAKAHEUNA very clean and comfortable. The location on the point can't be beat. We were fortunate in having a full view - so many whales! The beds were comfortable and the units are spacious - especially if you're sharing with another couple. Our unit was perfectly set up for cooking in house, which we love to do. Being able to walk right from the building onto the Maha'ulepu Heritage Trail was a real bonus.
The staff are marvellous - always smiling. We had an issue with the garbage disposal and a brand new one was installed within 24 hours. Good response.
Each unit is individually owned and we have stayed two times - each time in a renovated unit. We did see other units though that weren't as well appointed. All you need to do is ask to get a renovated one and ask for the view - you pay a bit more for it, but it's worth it.

Room Tip: They can never guarantee your location, but keep phoning and checking. The views are so fabulous - i...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
seattle
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2014

This spot is a great location in Poipu, quiet and beautiful. Our condo, 1203 was recently renovated in 2011, the bathroom showers need a little work is all. The condo was fully equipped with beach chairs, towels, umbrellas, snorkels, boogie boards, sand toys, tennis rackets, balls, water noodles the list goes on and on, if you rent this unit you need not bring a anything. The kitchen has all the utensils you would find in your own home. Our unit had a nice view of the ocean, we would whale watch every morning, incredible site to see. The sunsets from the point at this condo complex were beautiful. The only issue we had was with the full-time residents, some were a little snarly. They definitely let you know when you are breaking the rules. For example we were in the pool 5 minutes after 9, star gazing and talking about how beautiful the night sky was, a resident came out and told us the pool closes at 9 and our conversation was not interesting at all!! Also, it needs a little tender loving care (outside paint job).Shipwreck Beach, Brennecke Beach, Poipu Beach are all within walking distance! Shipwreck Beach is a great spot to Boogie Board for the experienced,and there you will find cliff jumpers! Poipu Beach is great for the beginner Boogie Boarder, this beach has something for everyone and it is right next to the Sheraton, avoid eating lunch there though, very expensive. For 8 of us it was over $200!! and they gave my 11 year old son a strawberry margarita with tequila!! Good thing we tasted it before he drank it, it was supposed to be a virgin margarita. Brennecke Beach, is a good spot to snorkel, boogie board etc. It too has something for everyone. Just for your info…….unit 1204 is stunning!! It was just renovated, white and blues! My sister and her family were in this unit. I would highly recommend it.
We will go back - Kauai is an amazing Island, Poipu was sunny, warm and glorious!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank iluvmyvacations
Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 14, 2013

These are condo rentals, many of which are listed on major hotel search websites, so I'll separate this review out by the property and the individual condo.

Location: After doing some research, it seemed that Poipu was the best place to stay in December for good weather. If I went during a better season for weather, I would have chosen a less touristy area, but there are a lot of grocery stores and restaurants within a 5-10 minute drive. As others have mentioned, this is on the rocky coast, not on the beach, so you have nice views, but you have to walk about 15-20 minutes to get to the beach or drive about 5 minutes.

Property: We arrived after the main office had closed, and they had a system to call a number and get your key out of a lockbox, which was confusing but worked. It would have been nice to get some kind of advance notice by email about the system and informing us that nobody would be there when we arrived. Our welcome packet told us to check in the next day, but nobody was there when we went, even though it was during business hours. When we finally were able to find someone a few days later, they were very nice and moderately helpful.

We didn't use the tennis courts, but the pool was nice and was cleaned every morning. I used the hot tub once, but it was broken for part of our stay. I wish they had some rules posted about not taking babies into the hot tub. Many people were taking kids that appeared to be less than two years old into the hot tub, which is kind of gross and also seems really dangerous for the child to be exposed to such an extreme temperature.

They had DVD rentals, which I thought were free based on the low quality of the movies. We even passed by a Redbox at one of the grocery stores and decided not to use it since we thought the Makahuena office had free movies. They turned out to be $6. In their defense, they did have the prices posted in small print on the movie shelf, but good lord, nobody should have to pay $6 per night to rent Next of Kin (starring Patrick Swayze as a hillbilly avenging his brother's death), which we did.

Condo #2201: This was a pretty recently renovated condo with a nice, newish kitchen and pretty good bathrooms. For me, the kitchen was the best part, as it saved us a lot of money in not having to eat out. It was really well stocked with appliances. It had a full fridge, stove, oven coffee maker, and toaster, plus pots pans, and dishes galore.

The condo was really big, with two bedrooms and two bathrooms, and would be a great deal for a family with two kids.

Comfort, however, was an issue. The bed was terrible, one of the worst I've ever slept on. It had a giant, thick memory foam pad over the bed, and I woke up every day with back and neck pain from the uncomfortable bed. We were also getting bit by some weird bugs every evening. I don't think they were bed bugs, since the bites didn't itch. We lifted the mattress to look for bedbugs, and didn't find any, though there were silverfish under the mattress. Also, there is no air conditioning, just fans. To be fair, they did advertise this fact, but I just didn't realize how hot it would get. You really can't be in the condo comfortable during the hours of about 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. I usually enjoy heat, but found it unbearable except at night and early morning, so keep that in mind if you're staying a while and plan to spend a good amount of time in the room.

There was definitely some false advertising, since we booked an ocean view room, and the ocean only made up about 1/3 of the view. 2/3 of the view was of the pool and the building in front of us. It wasn't a bad view by any means, but when you charge extra for a full ocean view, it's dishonest not to give one. This wouldn't have bothered me so much, except that one morning I was sitting on the balcony reading, and all the people in the condos with full ocean views said they saw a whale. I did not see it, since 2/3 of my view was blocked by condos with full ocean views, and by the time I got to the common area to take a look, the whale was gone.

I personally wouldn't stay here again, but it's a good deal if you have a family and can get a unit with A/C.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank nafa2
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2013 via mobile

Aloha, me and my family stayed in 1302. The reservation process was easy and hassle free. The place was great. All the amenities that anyone could need. The only drawbacks to this condo was there really isn't a view to the ocean. I really didn't mind it as we were at the beach most of our stay. The condo was spacious and it felt like a home away from home. The furniture is a little uncomfortable as it is a little out dated. The washer and dryer in the condo was a huge time saver. Please be aware that there is NO A/C In the condo. All though there are ceiling fans AND electric fans in the rooms, it might be a good idea to have a few more on hand. All in all it was a great stay and I will stay there again and definitely recommend to friends and family

Stayed November 2013
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2013

This review is from November 2012. I went with my boyfriend and his parents, and stayed on a second floor condo. What an excellent break from the terrible weather at home! Yes, there is no air conditioning, but the island is so windy that as soon as you open the windows, it's almost as if you are outside. The staff takes excellent care of the grounds, and the condo itself was the perfect size; the view from the patio is to die for!
My only concerns were 1) Because this building is a little older, I think there must have been something in the room causing me to have a terrible reaction (stuffy nose, itchy throat...), and 2) One of the days we were there, a member of the grounds staff was hosing down the outside of the buildings, which were made of wood. This meant that we had a little trouble closing our front door as the wood had expanded. Not sure why they chose to hose it down...?

Still, I would highly recommend it for someone looking for a nice place to stay in Poipu. You really can't go wrong.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Glastonbury, CT
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2013

Booked with Castle Resorts. They gave us an excellent, really beautiful condo (#2308). Gorgeous ocean views. While the exterior of this small (70 units, I think) is a bit drab, the grounds are nicely manicured; fabulous views from everywhere; and I think most owners (all the units are individually owned, therefore individually furnished) take good care of their units. Also looks like most units have some sort of ocean view, and those that don't have a true garden view. No one seems to be overlooking the parking lot.

As for not having air conditioning, there are very few condos and residences on Kauai that have a/c. Most rely on the constantly blowing tradewinds and ceiling fans to keep the units cool. We had absolutely no problem, in the month of June when daytime temps got into the mid-80's (nighttime much cooler), keeping cool. Slept with a blanket every single night.

Definitely windy in Poipu, but would absolutely recommend the Makahuena if you need a home away from home.

Room Tip: Try to book an ocean view.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank CNorm
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here in June 2013 and loved the location, the views and the Condo. Perfectly outfitted with every kitchen device (even a walfle maker). No AC=No problem, open the windows turn on the fans and we were perfectly comfortable during the day and most importantly at night with an ocean breeze and the sound of the ocean lulling us to sleep. Will definately stay here every time we visit.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family