“Great Stay!!”

Castle Makahuena at Poipu
Ranked #26 of 29 Specialty Lodging in Poipu
Reviewed November 4, 2013 via mobile

Aloha, me and my family stayed in 1302. The reservation process was easy and hassle free. The place was great. All the amenities that anyone could need. The only drawbacks to this condo was there really isn't a view to the ocean. I really didn't mind it as we were at the beach most of our stay. The condo was spacious and it felt like a home away from home. The furniture is a little uncomfortable as it is a little out dated. The washer and dryer in the condo was a huge time saver. Please be aware that there is NO A/C In the condo. All though there are ceiling fans AND electric fans in the rooms, it might be a good idea to have a few more on hand. All in all it was a great stay and I will stay there again and definitely recommend to friends and family

Stayed: November 2013

Reviewed October 24, 2013

This review is from November 2012. I went with my boyfriend and his parents, and stayed on a second floor condo. What an excellent break from the terrible weather at home! Yes, there is no air conditioning, but the island is so windy that as soon as you open the windows, it's almost as if you are outside. The staff takes excellent care of the grounds, and the condo itself was the perfect size; the view from the patio is to die for!
My only concerns were 1) Because this building is a little older, I think there must have been something in the room causing me to have a terrible reaction (stuffy nose, itchy throat...), and 2) One of the days we were there, a member of the grounds staff was hosing down the outside of the buildings, which were made of wood. This meant that we had a little trouble closing our front door as the wood had expanded. Not sure why they chose to hose it down...?

Still, I would highly recommend it for someone looking for a nice place to stay in Poipu. You really can't go wrong.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 3, 2013

Booked with Castle Resorts. They gave us an excellent, really beautiful condo (#2308). Gorgeous ocean views. While the exterior of this small (70 units, I think) is a bit drab, the grounds are nicely manicured; fabulous views from everywhere; and I think most owners (all the units are individually owned, therefore individually furnished) take good care of their units. Also looks like most units have some sort of ocean view, and those that don't have a true garden view. No one seems to be overlooking the parking lot.

As for not having air conditioning, there are very few condos and residences on Kauai that have a/c. Most rely on the constantly blowing tradewinds and ceiling fans to keep the units cool. We had absolutely no problem, in the month of June when daytime temps got into the mid-80's (nighttime much cooler), keeping cool. Slept with a blanket every single night.

Definitely windy in Poipu, but would absolutely recommend the Makahuena if you need a home away from home.

Room Tip: Try to book an ocean view.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank CNorm
Reviewed June 11, 2013

We stayed here in June 2013 and loved the location, the views and the Condo. Perfectly outfitted with every kitchen device (even a walfle maker). No AC=No problem, open the windows turn on the fans and we were perfectly comfortable during the day and most importantly at night with an ocean breeze and the sound of the ocean lulling us to sleep. Will definately stay here every time we visit.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Doug L
Reviewed May 23, 2013

It's probably a good site if you have kids or staying for a couple of weeks. As another reviewer said - no AC - so not a place I'd stay at during the summer. Had the fans going 24/7 and it still didn't ease the warmth in May. There are no elevators so if you have someone who is disabled, it won't work. Also, no elevators means hauling your bags up more than one flight of stairs to your room.

We were there two nights so no linen change or towel replacement. Rooms were clean and there's a washer dryer in the room for those staying longer. Two bedroom condo with 2 baths was good.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 15, 2013

We love Hawaii and visit as often as we can afford. This visit was in March 2013. The 2 bed/2-1/2 bath plus loft (we never used loft on 3rd level, much too hot) condo had many good points. All of the units are individually owned and this owner has done a good job of keeping her unit updated and anticipating traveler's needs and it shows. The condo has no A/C but that was fine as we like the tradewinds and the ceiling fans worked well. We had a beautiful ocean view on the main floor with an okay sized lanai. The complex itself is is looking a bit run down with somewhat shabby exteriors and average landscaping. We rented through Parrish and they were quite pleasant to deal with throughout.

Though on the shoreline there is no beach access. While Poipu Beach is a manageable walk for most people it would be difficult if one were elderly, toting a bunch of beach gear or taking young children. The long walk to Shipwreck Beach is quite nice if you don't mind carrying everything you need there and back. The pool is fairly small if that's important to you (it could be quite noisy at times when kids were running around). There was also noise from other guests as you could hear everyone clearly with all the open windows and lanai but, on the whole, everyone respected the posted quiet time of 10p.m.

We did experience a problem while there. After travelling for close to 20 hours and finally arriving at the condo, the key would not open the condo (not the way you want to start a vacation). Finally, a very nice maintenance worker ended up having to use quite a bit of physical force to open the door. This was a constant problem throughout our stay. In fact, one time we left the door unlocked to step outside for a moment and we were locked out without anything on us (no cells, wallets, etc). The door has a bolt that if you don't turn shut, should leave the door unlocked (in theory). With the faulty mechanism on this door, it did not work properly. The owner might consider posting a notice in large writing on the door to never leave the condo without your keys (even though having your keys was no guarantee that you'll be able to open the door!) The onsite manager was not onsite because her condo had mold issues and was being fixed (this info came from the folks who live there year round). She also did not have a key to the condo even though the complex's bylaws required her to have keys to every unit (again, info from the extremely nice and helpful neighbors). Someone ended up having to be sent to open the door to the condo on an emergency basis. Parrish tried charging us $50 for this service which I actually think is very reasonable and I would have been happy to pay if it wasn't for the fact that this was an ongoing issue throughout our stay and needed a permanent fix. I even called and spoke to a very nice lady at Parrish (Anne??) regarding the problem with the key on the very first day of our trip. Several neighbors told us this is an ongoing issue with many of the units at the complex. Parrish ultimately did not charge the $50 which was appreciated.

I may have rated the condo itself 4 stars if we did not have the ongoing and very annoying problem with the door. I'm just not sure. Hopefully, the issue with the lock has finally been addressed as I would stay at the unit again.

Room Tip: Even though you have to contend with stairs and carrying luggage, you definitely want to stay in the...
Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed March 28, 2013

I have stayed here twice with my husband who had to come to Kauai on business. The staff is very friendly and helpful, the condos are great. No air-conditioning. The condo was hot at first when I visited in May 2008 but I was told that there were no tradewinds. Later, the weather became more temperate and I had no complaints. The second time I stayed here was late June-early July 2011 and I never was hot. I would say most of the time that the lack of a/c should not be a problem.
I would love to return at any time. The units are cozy, homey, comfortable, roomy and attractive and I would recommend the Makahuena to anyone who does not absolutely need air conditioning.

Room Tip: I wasn't here recently enough to select the right month and year but I had to select one for the...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business