I stayed in unit 3202 which I booked direct with the owner - Chad Slayton via the Vacation Rentals By Owner website. The unit reference number is 172184.
I have stayed in some of Chads other properties and was so impressed with the high quality spec and attention to detail in his condos - this was no exception !! The 2 bed unit is newly rennovated to a very high standard ( i was the 2nd guest after the rennovation). The condo i slarge and very private. The master suite was huge and could be made completely seperate to the main living areas. Everything was included - gourment kitchen, home theatre system, washer and dryer.
The condo is absolute ocean front. The view and sound of the constantly crashing waves was amazing. From the large lanai you could also sit and watch seals and turtles playing in the surf below. I imagine the view during whale-watching season must be even better. The condo is not overlooked and is very private.
Some have complained that the condo's can be hot as no aircon. I also got the same comments from some people who had pool side condos (nice pool as well by the way. Good size and clean). Visitors on the ground floor complained that the air 'didn't move' in their units. Lucky for me I had no such problem. My unit was 1st floor with high vaulted ceilings. Also, being Ocean front meant I always had a cool breeze. In fact on a couple of occassions I have to close my windows as it was so breezy !
As others have commented the walk to the private beach is a bit steep and might be a struggle for the elderly (though I am no spring chicken!). However you are minutes away from lots of beach choices either on foot or by car.
As some of you may know, there is a lot of development work taking place in Poipu with many new condo's being built. This complex is far from the building sites and is very quiet.
I would reccomend this unit to anyone and would definately stay there again !!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Makahuena at Poipu is an oceanfront condominium on the southernmost point of Kauai that offers a rare opportunity to experience both a stunning sunrise and sunset. Accommodations include one-, two-, and three-bedroom suites with kitchens and washer/dryers. Amenities include a pool, jet spa, tennis court, and barbecue grills. Front Desk Hours: 8:30am - 4:00pm After Hours Check-In: Please call the resort in advance for after hours check-in instructions. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your Castle Makahuena at Poipu reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Castle Makahuena At Poipu Hotel Poipu
- Castle Makahuena At Poipu Kauai