“Great View” 3 of 5 bubbles

Castle Makahuena at Poipu
Ranked #23 of 30 Specialty Lodging in Poipu
“Great View”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2004

We stayed at the Makahuena in a 2 BDR condo from Feb 8-15, 2004. The weather was great and our ocean view condo gave us plenty of whale watching time. Air conditioning was generally not needed, although we had a couple of humid nights and could have used a/c in the bedroom.
Although we didn't eat much in the condo, we noticed very small bugs on the counters at times. Overall our stay was very pleasant.

1 Thank robert s

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2004

Our condo was one of three absolutely oceanfront properties literally hanging over the ocean! We could hear the surf and watch the water spilling over the rocks with immense sprays and waves underneath the lanai! Local fisherman clung to the rocks below occasionally being bathed in the thundering spray. Beautiful sunsets can be observed in the early evening hours allowing for some splendid photo opportunities.

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Anchorage, AK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2003

Our family of six stayed in a two-bedroom unit at Makahuena from Nov 24 to Dec 6, 2003. I've been to Kauai five or six times in 20 years, and this condo was one of the nicest I've seen. The rooms were large and very clean (light housekeeping is done every day), and the complex was refreshingly quiet. Watching the sunrises AND the sunsets from the same point is an added bonus! The staff was accommodating but not intrusive.
We had a wheelchair-bound friend with us and they happily made arrangements for an accessible room at no extra charge.It's only a short (1/2 mile maybe) walk to Poipu Beach--an excellent beach for young kids--and Brennecke Beach, a boogie boarder's paradise. And, the sun shone EVERY day we were there, even though it rained on the rest of the island most of the time. :-)Mind you, this is NOT a luxury resort.
There are no valets or bellhops and no chocolates on the pillow at night. But if you like to have room to spread out, great views, and quietness at night, I'd definitely recommend this place.

• Stayed November 2003, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank dennjon
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2003

I stayed at Makhuena from October 12th through 16th of 2003 in a 3 bedroom condominium unit. I was pleasantly surprised by the experience.
This is my 4th trip to Hawaii (2nd to Kauai), and I must say this was probably the best accommodation I had overall.

I requested a unit with 4 twin beds, and this was provided without a problem. The views were nice; I didn't request an oceanview room, but Evelyn gave me an ocean view. I could see the waves hitting the rocks, and at night, I would fall asleep to the sounds of waves.

The rooms did not have air conditioning, but I didn't feel like I needed one. Because this property overlooks the ocean directly, there is a pleasant ocean breeze. There were fans in all the rooms, including ceiling fans.

The rooms very clean, and kitchen sparkling. All of my expectations were met....Everyone in our party had a great time there, and look forward to going back eventually.

Aloha!