“Hawaiian Paradise”

Ranked #21 of 29 Specialty Lodging in Poipu
Macon, Georgia
“Hawaiian Paradise”
Reviewed March 28, 2013

I have stayed here twice with my husband who had to come to Kauai on business. The staff is very friendly and helpful, the condos are great. No air-conditioning. The condo was hot at first when I visited in May 2008 but I was told that there were no tradewinds. Later, the weather became more temperate and I had no complaints. The second time I stayed here was late June-early July 2011 and I never was hot. I would say most of the time that the lack of a/c should not be a problem.
I would love to return at any time. The units are cozy, homey, comfortable, roomy and attractive and I would recommend the Makahuena to anyone who does not absolutely need air conditioning.

Room Tip: I wasn't here recently enough to select the right month and year but I had to select one for the...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Atlanta, ga
Reviewed March 27, 2013

Rented two condos for family reunion. Great location on the southern most point of Kauai which is rocky but not far from a beach in the area. Old style jalousie windows are getting loose and need replacing. Bedroom lighting needs to be upgraded as the room has dark décor and it can be rather dim in our particular room. King bed very comfortable. About 30 minutes from Lihue, traffic permitting.

Room Tip: Good place to relax. Windy during our visit (Feb) but we liked the breeze.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
New Vernon, New Jersey
Reviewed February 25, 2013

We stayed here in January 2013 in a two bed/two bath ocean front home. It was definitely dated - kind of stuck in the 1980's - I know this particular unit was cheaper to rent and I think that's why. We rented through PARRISH - they were great - very helpful before, during and after the trip. Go out of their way for restaurant recommendations, activity ideas, etc. Back to the unit - it was a great size - no air conditioning and it did get VERY hot as the sun was beating on it all day - being on the ground floor you could defintely hear the people walking above you. But you can't beat the views, the locations, the residents of the condo were all very friendly. I would stay there again, but probably not until 5-103.....

Room Tip: Choose the rooms wisely - the bottom units defintely hear the residents above - and it gets VERY hot...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
San Diego, California, United States
Reviewed October 28, 2012

We just came back from Kauai last week and are impressed with this hotel. Although the rooms look dated from the outside, they are pretty comfortable and reminded us of home. We stayed in a two bedroom two bath that did not come with an ocean view. The pool was nice, but there was no wireless internet or an AC in our room. Not having an air conditioner was a big disappointment since it was over 80 degrees and we couldn't stay in our room. I needed wifi, so I had to buy a wireless router from the Walmart and install it in my room for the duration of our stay. Overall, it was a nice trip visiting Poipu and if I were visiting Kauai, I'd definitely consider staying here again.

Room Tip: No AC or Wifi in room!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Honolulu, HI
Reviewed October 25, 2012

Loved it! Stayed there for 3 days at the beginning of October with my two kids and my cousin's son. We had a 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom condo with a view of the pool. It was spacious, clean and comfortable except for the fact that there is no air conditioning and there was not much of a breeze to cool the unit down. There were ceiling fans, which helped, but the afternoons were very hot in the condo. Luckily, the pool was cool so we spent a lot of time down there. The trails along the cliffs behind the complex was the highlight of the stay there. The kids loved it and we enjoyed both beautiful sunsets and sunrises overlooking the crashing waves. It was an unforgettable experience!

Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
San Francisco, California
Reviewed October 24, 2012

Just came back from Kauai and I must say I was very impressed with this accommodation. After a disappointing stay on our last trip to Hawaii I wanted to book something decent and I must admit this place was perfect.

We booked an oceanview condo. The view was amazing, we could see the sunrise from our balcony. The condo was well equiped with most of the kitchen tools one might need. The unit was mostly well-maintained (although the kitchen cupboard could really use some cleaning) and comfortable.

If going back to Poipu I will make sure to book here again!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Crystal T
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed October 7, 2012

This was our third stay with Castle in Kauai and we have always been pleased. The staff is helpful & friendly. The condos are well equipped, and give you a home away from home feeling. We loved the pool area, used the BBQ grilling area several times, and loved the sunrises from the lava rock point. If you read travel books they really don't give the Makaheuna the kudos it deserves in my opinion.

As far as sleep quality, we loved the sound of the ocean.The residents above us did play loud music into the late hours. We chose not to complain about it, so I can't hold the management responsible. If you read travel books they really don't give the Makaheuna the kudos it deserves in my opinion.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple