“Stayed here for 9 nights”

Sheraton Kauai Resort
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Poipu
Reviewed March 1, 2014

We just got back from kauai, and stayed at the Sheraton for 9 nights. We were on the garden side, a quick 3 min walk to the lobby and beach. What we liked was that we actually got a king bed (last year we got married in maui and the sheraton there gave us two double beds…), the room and bathroom were small but for two it was fine, and we were not visiting to be in the room. What is important to me is cleanliness, which I felt the room was, I noticed a few ants in the bathroom and one on the bed, and I called the front desk and they said they would spray the room with a nontoxic spray. I am not sure if they did. One morning we found a dead cockroach in our bathroom under our towel, we don't really know what happened with that. The front desk just apologized. The bed was really comfortable as well.

I really liked the evening fire pits this hotel offers, and the beach is beautiful. We snorkeled at the beach right in front of the hotel with sea turtles. When we stayed at the Sheraton in Maui, there were tons of turtles there as well. My husband said the beach was his favourite and didn't care to go spend days at other beaches. The pool is really nice too. We had great service at Lavas, the poolside bar. It is pricey for drinks, but that seems to be the norm anywhere these days. We had a drink at Rum Fire and it was a nice experience there as well. Front desk was pretty much always really friendly, minus one girl. We ate pizza at the cafe there twice, the cafe is also pretty expensive, it is like 2.30$ for an apple or a banana. There is a shopping village across the street where you can get some stuff cheaper.

I guess my only negatives would be I called the day before checking out and asked if I could pay some cash towards my final bill, and if I could do that in the morning before checking out, and the girl said yes. I woke up at 7 am with a paid bill emailed to me all charged to my credit card. Since the canadian dollar is horrible right now I wanted to prevent the extra up charges in currency to my card since I had US cash. I called my cc company today and there were two extra charges I was charged from the Sheraton which I have no idea what they are, and no one at the Kauai Sheraton or the Sheraton 1800# can tell me about them. I have to wait to next week to speak to billing?? That seems odd to me that they can't see what was charged on my stay.

We visited the St Regis, which seemed very high end. We felt more comfortable at the Sheraton. They seem to have beautiful swimming beaches in Hawaii.

1  Thank trish d
Elaine L, Manager at Sheraton Kauai Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 13, 2014

Aloha trish d,

Thank you for choosing Sheraton Kauai Resort for your recent stay and for taking the time to share your experience. We are pleased to read that you enjoyed our fire pits, poolside and oceanfront location, and we appreciate you highlighting the great service you experienced while dining with us. We are sorry for the confusion regarding your final bill, which you wished to pay with cash. We do provide a folio with a zero balance in the case our guests wish to simply depart, however, prior to check out time, it is possible to make changes, such as paying with cash. Should you wish to discuss your experience further, we warmly invite you to connect with us at your convenience. Mahalo.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,268)

Reviewed February 28, 2014

The location is good but how can anything on the Poipu area beach be a bad location. Not anything good to say about the Sheraton property or the quality of our stay. It's an old run down, poorly maintained facility that has years of reviews complaining about the poor quality of the facility. Obviously the management and SPG is aware of the issues as demonstrated by their response to the years of bad reviews. I don't see how anyone could rate this place with 5 stars, either they have no idea of what a real resort looks like or they don't want to admit they blew a bunch of money on a dump. We planned to stay (again) at the Grand Hyatt but took the cheaper deal at the Sheraton. The saying is true, you get what you pay for. What's sad is this could be a nice facility but that would required effective management and reasonable maintenance.

No management response needed, I have already read it many times.

3  Thank Ron P
Elaine L, Manager at Sheraton Kauai Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 7, 2014

Aloha Ron P,

Thank you for choosing Sheraton Kauai Resort and for sharing your recent experience with us. While we are pleased to read that you felt the resort was in a good location, it is important for us to hear all of our guests' feedback, including areas for improvement. We are sorry that your stay did not meet your expectations. We continuously work to create a warm and inviting stay for all of our guests, and your valuable comments have been shared with our team. We hope you will take the opportunity to connect with us to further discuss your stay. Mahalo.

Reviewed February 28, 2014

Fantastic stay 3 days wish I done more I'm spg platinum so thay up graded me to a ocean frount suite really nice and comfortable and quit great location and offered lots of activitys nice beach I enjoyed my stay very much I have been here meny times in the passed and always enjoyed and the welcome I get from miss sissy at the frount dest was and always so welcoming she's been ther a long time and always look forward to her checking us in . This place is worth every penny and it's priced right. :)

Room Tip: Ask for upper floor
Reviewed February 25, 2014

The Sheraton Kauai has a great location on Poipu Beach. This is our third visit. We stayed in an Ocean view room. The room was good, (great view) but pricey relative to the overall level of service and amenities at the hotel. The service at the hotel was good but not great. At that price point, I expect great. I think they are understaffed. Having said all that, the location is so good that it overcomes the service issue.

Room Tip: If you can afford it, go for the ocean View rooms
2  Thank HappyRetirees92662
Reviewed February 25, 2014

Just got back from a week at the Sheraton in Kauai.....Island was fine, lodging was...where do I begin.. Got in on Valentine’s Day to one open restaurant (Rum Fire), whom we contacted in advance for reservations, but to our disappointment did not offer this, even to guests. Needless to say we did not get in, and ate in our room valentine’s night. The Rum Fire was horribly, desperately understaffed, and the workers there, bless them, didn't have a chance to breathe. Next day, we were greeted with torrential rains, and flash floods in which we noticed "brown" water surrounding the area, and not sure if the staff is directed to say this, but an employee told us it was "sand bars" when in fact it was bacteria, pesticides, dead animals, etc. that washed from the flooded rivers into the ocean, and the danger of entering this water we later found was severe. Bacterial infections, tiger sharks, etc. were extremely high counts... so no swimming or ocean play. Thank god we googled this!!! Next night, Rum Fire was completely closed, but the hotel restaurant was open (take in mind the rains and cold continued) we were told it would be 15 minutes for a table for 2, yet ended up waiting 1 1/2 hours for a table as the hostess was rarely at the front reception as she was also playing busboy, server, etc. When we were seated, we were put next to the wall, with rain coming in on us, soaking us and our food.... You can imagine our irritation... Well the fun just kept coming, the next morning we went to the same restaurant (listed above) by the pool, and we missed "breakfast by about 3 minutes and were turned away, as it is apparently a huge deal to make an egg after 10 am. So we inquired to several of the staff around the pool and in the restaurant for a recommendation where we could get breakfast food, and everyone hurriedly replied with shrugs, and no clues... Happens though we walked about 300 feet towards the main reception area, and lo and behold there was a small gift-shop / coffeehouse with pre made breakfast sandwiches...how can the staff not know what is 10 feet away from them???
Let’s see, more fun, rooms are badly dated, another reviewer mentioned internet speed, and lack of outlets, this is more than true... we even paid the money one day for the "high speed" internet connection with no difference between that and the free... use 3g / 4g if you want to find anything out!
Was shooed constantly when loading or unloading our car either coming or going for the day, pool is abysmal at best, and one hot tub that was constantly crowded... If you are at the Marriott where Duke's is, it would recommend you look at their GIANT pool and minimum of 5 hot tubs, and giant sundries store where I was actually able to get cortisone for my bed bug bites as the Sheraton has no such shop or abundance of anything for purchase for hygiene.

Daily cleaning was so/so at best, and every day I woke up itchier than the previous morning, I played it down to the sun on my skin, but am now convinced it is bed bug bites...REALLY!!! bed bugs, and the only place I laid down or slept was at the Sheraton!!!

What a disappointing week, was offended by the final "daily hotel fees" we accrued at the end of our trip... not exactly sure where that money was applied to? so much for thousands of dollars, and 13 hours of flying each way.... Home now and miserable, can’t stop itching, and am just beat...Hawaii is supposed to be relaxing????

UGH

7  Thank charper22
Elaine L, Manager at Sheraton Kauai Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 28, 2014

Aloha charper22,

Thank you for choosing Sheraton Kauai Resort and for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. We are sorry that your visit did not meet your expectations, and were particularly concerned with your comment regarding pests as we take pest control very seriously. We were pleased to locate your accommodations and have our third-party pest control experts personally and thoroughly inspect your room with negative findings. In the future, we invite you to connect with us so that we may address any concerns during your stay. We are truly sorry for the lapses in service in our restaurants and interactions with our team, and have shared your comments as an opportunity for improvement so that we may continue to elevate the guest experience at the resort. At your convenience, we hope you will connect with us so that we may discuss your stay further and turn around your impression of Sheraton Kauai Resort. Mahalo.

Reviewed February 24, 2014

get a ocean front room and you will love this place. great food. perfect location and amazing views. lots of parking space. pool side restaurant has good food at reasonable prices. lots of nearby shops too. definitely get a car while on the island

Room Tip: ocean facing rooms on high floors
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank satish_quintal
Reviewed February 22, 2014

This property was more than we could ask for. I had read thru reviews and was expecting bad service and dirty public areas according to what I'd read. It was a beautiful property with lots of walking paths, access to one of the most swimming friendly beaches, and clean, well-equipped rooms. The ponds around the property were delightful - dirty? I would not say so - they were rock bottomed and lovely with lots of plants and lots of hidden areas to discover - it was really easy to find a quiet corner to be alone and appreciate the beauty of the location. The room was nice and neat, clean bathroom and excellent room service. They even returned later in the day when they'd left a note that they'd already been there and missed cleaning. I'd read now dated the rooms were but found that not to be the case at all. They weren't top of the line modern/brand new but they were excellent considering how little time we spent in the room; the bathroom was sufficient and very clean which is all that I ask for from a vacation bathroom (after all I'm not sleeping in there). Front desk was extremely helpful as was the concierge. Wonderfully kid-friendly. The pool areas are great and you never get the feeling that kids are not welcome as I have from other resorts. The beach bungalow is a wonderful value and was actually able to do some work right there on the beach although I did have to go up near the actual building to get Wi-Fi...the signal was too weak at the bungalow. The only strong negative I had was the price of the resort food. The afternoon food at 'LAVA's' was fairly priced and good. The drinks were extremely expensive....even the drinks on special. The evening fare at LAVA's and RUM FIRE wee extremely expensive - especially when you read the reviews from all of the food sites on those restaurants. Brunch was a consideration until we learned that it was $25 per adult and $13 for my 4 year old will only eat a hard boiled egg or cereal - there were no concessions made and even their regular menu was comparably priced. The prices made it impossible to eat at the restaurant on site. We spent a full day at the pool & beach and after 3 drinks, 3 beer and 2 appetizer plates walked away with a $150 bill....literally! The MaiTai's were $12 each and extremely small. BYOB. Overall we had a wonderful experience at the resort and experienced more positives than negatives.

Room Tip: Try not to get one in building 5 if you end up getting a garden view room - it's right next to t...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank moonovrmiami
Also consider these accommodations in or near Poipu
Kauai Beach Resort
#4 of 11 in Lihue
Koloa
Marriott's Waiohai Beach Club
Koloa
Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort & Spa

Been to Sheraton Kauai Resort? Share your experiences!