“Too many buildings, not enough amenities.”

Sheraton Kauai Resort
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Poipu
Reviewed January 27, 2014

This might have been a fine hotel/resort before the property owners became so greedy and continued building residential towers across the street from the beachside amenities. Considering its residential capacity, the pool and beach area is much too small. Avoid the option to include a "complete breakfast buffet," as the choices are better and more varied at a cheap Residence Inn. The onerous "resort fee" includes WiFi, which is unusable unless you know enough to request your own in-room router you can plug into the Ethernet.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Howard G
Elaine L, Manager at Sheraton Kauai Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 31, 2014

Aloha Howard G,

Thank you for staying with us at Sheraton Kauai Resort during your recent visit to the islands. We appreciate your feedback with regard to our amenities and wifi. The resort continually strives to enhance the guest experience, and we are pleased to let you know that an upgrade has been completed for our wifi service. Should you wish to discuss your stay further, we welcome the opportunity to connect with you. Mahalo, and we hope for the chance to be of service to you again.

There are newer reviews for Sheraton Kauai Resort

Reviewed January 26, 2014

We had a family vote on this rating with my daughter giving it a 4, my wife a 3, and me a 2. The positive is the great beach. My daughter loved the sandy beach. There were many mixed aspects, like service. Some employees were excellent and some did not care. Very inconsistent. One negative was the concierge who kept pushing a time share sale. Another was our room on the other side of the road which was straight from the 1950's. Each receptacle had a power strip and when my wife used the blow dryer, the lights would flicker. ..in summary, if the beach is the big thing, this is an ok place. I think there are much better choices like the Hyatt and Marriott. With all that said, it's hard to have a bad day on vacation in Hawaii.

Room Tip: If you can stay on the beach side of this resort, then that is the key.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Manzanitabay

Aloha Manzanitabay,

Mahalo for joining us at Sheraton Kauai Resort for your recent family vacation and for sharing your experience with us. We are pleased you and especially your daughter enjoyed our great oceanfront location. We were disappointed to hear that the service you received was not consistently excellent as that is certainly what we strive for. Your comments have been shared with our team in an effort to continually improve the guest experience at Sheraton Kauai. We hope you will join us at our beautiful beachfront location in the future.

Reviewed January 25, 2014

Just stayed for a week here. Nice hotel, we stayed across the street, no beach view from the room. However if you come out of the room onto the corridor, you get a good view of the beach.
Paid a pretty high cost, nothing spectacular about the room, but they do provide good coffee( really nice) and are happy to top up as necessary.
The resort activities are interesting. The yoga classes are really good, lasting a good 1.5 hours. Signed up for the snorkelling insrtuctions and it was great. Got quite a few tips from my instructor. They had complimentary scuba and surfing classes too, unfortunately I did not have time. The wifi was good and complimentary.
Given it an average in view of the price!
Worth the stay only if your company is footing the bill! Unfortunately breakfast is not included with the room stay.
Close to poipu village, great shopping there, got some lovely rainbow glass earrings

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank sleepSingapore

Aloha sleepSingapore,

Thank you for joining us at Sheraton Kauai Resort during your visit to the islands, and we appreciate your feedback regarding your recent stay. Thank you for highlighting the variety of resort activities you enjoyed during your stay, including our oceanfront yoga and introduction to snorkeling. We are sorry that you did not feel your stay met your expectations for overall value, however, we hope you will consider a stay with us again and look forward to welcoming you back in the future. Mahalo.

Reviewed January 24, 2014

We just had a week of our life in this amazing hotel. It sits right on the most beautiful beach with crystal clean water, palm trees, views to die for - especially the sunsets. This is a huge hotel complex with different buildings, with the more luxurious accommodation right on the beach and several lower end buildings across the road. We stayed in the main building, the room was large, bright, modern and clean. Same applies to the lobby, common areas and the pool. Everything is attractive and very well maintained. Staff is polite and attentive. The only issue I have with this hotel that they do not provide umbrellas for guests. The orientation of the beach and the pool area is such that there is absolutely no shade all day long. There are a few tall palm trees that provide no shade to speak of. There are five sunbeds (for hundreds of guests) with shades for rent ($50/day) and five cabanas ($100/day). I find this absurd, considering that guests already pay top $ to stay here. I recommend to buy a cheap umbrella at a local Walmart and enjoy the great beach.
Breakfast buffet is top notch, huge selection, everything is delicious and fresh.
I have to say that the beauty and comfort (other than the umbrellas) of this place have completely won us over and we would love to come back again.

Room Tip: Stay in the main building if you can afford it. It is quite a hike to get to the beach, pool and oth...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank MJZ154984
Reviewed January 23, 2014

My wife and I stayed at this hotel 12 years ago and were somewhat dissapointed but it fit our budget for this trip and we stayed in an "Deluxe Oceanfront" room - highly recommend the additional cost as some of the other rooms are across the street and no real view. The room was nice - nothing special - but the view was amazing. We liked the intimate feel of this resort - everything within a close distance with the pool bordering the beach. The pool was upgraded significantly form my last visit and the beach is the best I've seen in Kauai. My only complaint was the hotel's effort to charge us $75 for the roll-away bed our 13 year old slept in. We got it waived, but needed a manager's approval and the roll-away itself wasn't comfortable.

Room Tip: Request an Oceanfront room - but not one with the pool in front - the pool is great, but a little no...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed January 19, 2014

Found this resort to be average but very expensive for what it was. I think one can do better in a small condo where you would have the ability to make some of your own meals. The food we had on site was just okay, nothing special. The kids enjoyed the beach and the pool. I was glad to stay in Poipu over Princeville though, as the couple of times we went up to Princeville it was raining and sunny in Poipu. Wish the beds would have been two queens instead of two doubles. I am not sure why the Sheraton and Westin often have the two doubles, when most of their rooms could easily accommodate two queens and be so much more comfortable for the guests.

Room Tip: If you cannot get afford a room by the ocean, get a room overlooking the pool
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank mum2twingrls
Reviewed January 18, 2014

My friend and I stayed here for a week in December. The resort was lovely with beautiful grounds and a gorgeous beach. The waves were quite rough this time of year which made for fun ocean swimming, however we were still able to snorkel a bit further down, right off the beach. The pool area was great, with plenty of beach chairs available. We enjoyed the scheduled activities, such as the morning yoga sessions, the hula dancing lessons, the fresh lei making and the evening tide pools. Our room was clean and nicely decorated. We had an issue with our drain and light, however maintenance was quick to arrive and remedy the problem almost immediately. The hotel is in a great location, just a 10 min walk to the main Poipu beach as well as both Poipu shopping complexes with lots of restaurant selection. There was also a small grocery store within walking distance (across from the fire station) which was perfect for us as we did not rent a car. We were able to get a good deal on this hotel using Hotwire, which I would recommend as it may not be the best value for your money if paying the standard rate. The only negative I would say is that when checking in, as a young, single female (as I arrived prior to my friend), I did feel a bit discriminated against as I was asked to show my ID twice, initially which is standard, but once again after I had received my key just to 'double check' that my information was correct. This put a bit of a bad taste in my mouth when interacting with the front desk staff for the remainder of my trip. Overall, however, it was a great stay and I would recommend this hotel to others.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Poipu
Kauai Beach Resort
#4 of 11 in Lihue
Koloa
Marriott's Waiohai Beach Club
Koloa
Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort & Spa

Been to Sheraton Kauai Resort? Share your experiences!