“Awesome location & fabulous resort”

Sheraton Kauai Resort
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Poipu
Rancho Cordova, California
“Awesome location & fabulous resort”
Reviewed June 22, 2013

This was our second visit to Kauai but the first time staying in Poipu. Last time we stayed in Hanalei but we really like Poipu better for the sunny weather and great beach location of the Sheraton. We were celebrating our 8th anniversary and my 50th birthday and we very happy with the great service and upgrades we received at the Sheraton. We spent 3 nights in the Beach Wing and 4 nights in the Ocean Wing. Our room in the Beach Wing was nice but overlooked the pool so it was noisy at times during the day. There was also a humming noise coming from some sort of generator which could be heard at night over the waves of the ocean. This isn't a problem if you sleep with your window closed but we like to listen to the ocean at night and the noise was distracting. After 3 nights we were upgraded to an Ocean Luxury room in the Ocean Wing. Room was amazing, view was priceless, and all we heard at night were the waves which were right outside our room! We much preferred the Ocean Wing and will request a room in this wing on our next visit. We both loved the Sheraton and will definitely stay here again and would highly recommend it to others. Food at Rum Fire was outstanding and we enjoyed a light dinner there on our first night. We had the breakfast buffet at Lava's as it was included in our package and it was also very good. We enjoyed the couples massage near the beach (what a treat) and the Sheraton Luau was very convenient since we were staying on the property. We loved walking through the nearby Plantation Gardens each day to get to Starbuck's, Roy's, and Keoki's Paradise. The WIFI at the Sheraton was pretty poor in both of our rooms. For a $30 resort fee which is supposed to include Internet we felt the WIFI should have been better. We had great WIFI at Starbuck's and a great little pizza place in Kalaheo (Brick Oven Pizza) so we know they do have good WIFI on the island. This was a great place to wake up on my 50th birthday and I can't wait to return to the Sheraton again soon!

Room Tip: Stay in the Ocean Wing if you want a quiet room with a stunning view of the ocean. Room 1130 was AMA...
2 Thank Kim M
Elaine L, Manager at Sheraton Kauai Resort, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Aloha Kim M,

Hau`oli La Hanau (Happy Birthday) and mahalo for sharing your feedback regarding your recent stay at Sheraton Kauai Resort. It is always a pleasure to hear from our satisfied guests, and we are honored that you chose to spend your anniversary and birthday with us. Thank you for your kind comments regarding your rooms and your dinner at RumFire. With regard to our WiFi service, we apologize for the inconvenience. While we work to improve our resort-wide connectivity, complimentary routers are placed in rooms that are experiencing a weak signal. We look forward to you experiencing an improved Internet service upon your next visit. A hui hou!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (897)
  • Polish first
San Diego, California
Reviewed June 22, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for our anniversary on a last minute trip. Beds were comfortable, though I was disappointed that the staff was unwilling to give my husband and I a king bed (even though there was plenty of availability). They were also unwilling to give us a late checkout (even for an extra hour) and, again, they had plenty of availability. The garden rooms are not terribly big and do not have excellent views by any means, but they were clean, comfortable, had a mini-fridge, and a patio. Its a short walk to the beach side, pool, and jacuzzi. However, it is much closer to the parking lot than the beachside rooms and since we rarely stay on-property during vacation, that was convenient for us and all our snorkel gear. The beach was nice, but steep and not great for snorkeling, but there is good snorkeling nearby. The parking lot is also where smokers have to hang out. We made our own drinks in our room and walked around the property with them and never got hassled, which was nice. They provide towels at the pool, but hours are limited (i.e. good luck after 5pm). Pool chairs are free but the shaded chairs on the beach must be rented. You will get hassled if you are sitting on one and have not rented it. Service at the restaurants could use serious improvement. Food was hit or miss, but occasionally you can get a decent happy hour at Rumfire - which is seriously under-marketed. The room service menu could also use serious improvement. It is also a short walk to the plantation gardens, which is the property next door. They have a luau, but make you stand 100 ft away to watch it if you have not paid for the dinner.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TravelerNaomi
Modesto CA
Reviewed June 20, 2013

After spending 5 days at the Westin Princeville, we were somewhat disappointed to leave the quiet, relaxing Princeville for what would surely be the tourist laden area of Poipu.

I tried to use one of my SPG Suite Night awards, but that would have put me in the garden side of the facility. I was graciously upgraded to an ocean room, in advance as a platinum member. We were excited for some time “on the ocean”

When we checked in the clerk indicated that my reservation was for a garden room. As soon as she said that I just knew(from experience) I was going to have to fight for ANY upgrade. I bit my tongue and let her finish. She went on to say “But you were upgraded”, a sigh of relief, I wasn’t going to have to fight for a SPG upgrade! She said we were upgraded to an oceanfront SUITE. I was expecting one the oceanfront rooms, so I asked in disbelief her to clarify this, “is this one of the 11 suites”, she confirmed this and I looked at my wife and told her “You are going to like this one”.

We were given room 1418 which is one of, if not the most desirable rooms/suites in the entire resort.

I know they work hard trying to make customers happy all the time, but don’t always get the gratitude for their efforts and I wanted to say “Thank You” for making our trip and SPG experience and awesome one!

On another note, we ate all over the island, including the Beach House and found the on-site Rum Fire grill to be on par with the best of the island restaurants.

Room Tip: Some rooms overlook the Luau and that would be fun to sit on your balcony and watch the "Free t...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jim L
UK
Reviewed June 20, 2013

We had a garden room which is actually across the road from the main hotel building. Apart from a rather unfriendly concierge when we first arrived the staff were very good. The hotel buildings fit in with the environment but of course there are no sea views from the garden. However, in this part of the hotel there is a very pleasant pool which is underused. Rooms are excellent as would be expected in this class of hotel. Food in the restaurants is OK but there are numerous other places to eat nearby and there is a free shuttle. The beach is just about suitable for swimming although the size of the surf can be limiting.

Room Tip: Rooms with a sea view are significantly more expensive but the garden rooms are quieter
1 Thank AncientmarinerUk
San Jose, California
Reviewed June 19, 2013

We stayed here for 9 days in May & June of 2013. I stayed in a 3rd floor "Deluxe Ocean Front Room" on the quieter ocean/lava rock side (as oppossed to the more active sandbeach/pool side) and it was absolutely P E R F E C T !!!!!!! We were so close to the ocean, we could have tossed a rock into the water from our balcony. It was quiet and we only heard the sound of the ocean all night long. A small, beautiful wedding took place in this area one day, so you know this is "THE SPOT" for a beautiful oceanfront view. Sunset---beautiful, and at night, the sky was just full of stars, more than you can imagine. Don't waste one minute thinking about staying anywhere else. It doesn't get better than this. I wasn't flying all the way to Kauai and not be right "ON THE OCEAN", afterall that's why we come here. I visited other hotels (Grand Hyatt & St. Regis-both with an air of "elegant" beauty to them), but both are set back further from the water and their rocky & rough beaches aren't really good for swimming by any means, in comparison to the gorgeous pink sand beachfront at the Sheraton Resort and Spa. We enjoyed a dinner at the Grand Hyatt's "Tidepool Restaurant" and a wonderful sunday brunch buffet at the St. Regis. You should visit both, but stay at the original and "CLASSIC" Sheraton. The Hyatt has more of what I would call an artificial man-made Disneyland type created experience (which is also pretty), but I wanted to experience the real, natural beauty of the actual island itself and the beautiful waters surrounding it. The St. Regis had a more man -made, planned, gated community development feel to it, and again I wanted the real deal experience of nature in it's absolute perfect and purest natural form. The Grand Hyatt is much closer to the Sheraton (5 or 10 minutes) and would be my "second" choice, and the St. Regis is all the way on the opposite side of the Island ( about a 45 minute drive), on the "rainy side", and has some pretty mountain views. I checked out other nice hotels, but the Sheraton is on the "sunny side" of the island and has "THE BEST" location of any hotel, and the grounds are beautifully manicured. The oceanfront side of the hotel wraps all around the waters edge and is always stunning. The Sheraton is close to many good restaurants, stores, and beaches and is also close to a round-about (circular traffic intersection) that will send you to all directions of the island. The pools at the Sheraton are beautiful and warm, the food at the hotel's restaurants were very good, and ALL of their staff were fantastic. The rooms were very nice and the beds were comfortable. They have the nicest, softest bathrobes hanging in the closet for your ready use. Sitting on the balcony with a cup of java, at all hours, watching the various blue-green colors of the ocean and seeing surfers on the crest of white capped waves was so relaxing. If you read any reviews that reflect negatively about this place, you would do yourself a favor to ignore such non-sense. (And NO I don't have any association to the hotel other than just a very sastisfied guest). I had some reservations after reading some reviews and wondering about other nice hotels, but I made the best and "right choice" and was so glad I didn't fall prey to some of the ridiculous nay- sayers. Any normal person will love it here and you get a great bang for the buck compared to some others. The hotel is divided into two areas, one on the oceanfront side of the street, and the other just across the street on the garden side. If you're like me and want to be ON the OCEANFRONT, stay on this side. If you want to save some money, stay on the Garden Side (it's also really "BEAUTIFUL", but just doesn't have the water views like the Oceanfront - but hey, just walk across the street & WOW! PARADISE!). I phoned the desk during my stay and requested a router be sent to the room for better internet access and the Hotel Manager personally delivered it within just 2 or 3 minutes after I hung up the phone (AMAZING!), and it worked perfectly. It was always nice after a day of exploring the island by helicopter, river boat ride, attending a Hawaiian dinner luau, snuba (yes "snuba") diving, snorkeling, and driving to all corners of the island; to come back to the relaxing and beautiful Sheraton Resort & Spa, directly on the blue oceanfront waters of Kauai. So this was my experience at the Sheraton and my comments are all "IMO" (in my opinion), so do me a favor and don't tell anyone else, or "they'll all be doing it----choosing the Sheraton" . Thanks SHERATON for the perfect getaway-We'll be back! And to all of the rest of you, A L O H A !!!!!!!

Room Tip: 3rd floor Deluxe Oceanfront Room #1310 (To Die For)! Don't tell anyone please!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Jeff H
Elaine L, Manager at Sheraton Kauai Resort, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
Aloha Jeff H,

Mahalo for your stellar review of Sheraton Kauai Resort. We love to hear from our satisfied guests and are happy to hear that you had the perfect vacation with us. We are proud to be situated in one of the greatest location in the islands, and are pleased that you enjoyed it to the utmost. We look forward to welcoming you back to Sheraton Kauai soon.
Louisiana
Reviewed June 19, 2013

We recently stayed at the Sheraton Kauai. We originally had booked a room with a partial ocean view. Upon arrival, we found that our room was across the street from the main part of the hotel in an older section. We were on the bottom floor and the only view we had was a little sliver above the hedges outside our room. Also, the room was small, poorly ventilated with almost no power outlets. But, we decided to give it a try and not complain. The staff brought us a fan that first night. Because of the shortage of outlets I had to stretch the cord as far as I could so I could feel the fan. After tripping over the cord three times, I told my husband enough was enough. I went to meet with one of the managers, Peter, regarding a possible upgrade. He found us a beautiful room on the 4th floor away from the noisy pool with gorgeous full ocean views. We did have to pay for the upgrade but it was worth every penny. It was like transferring from a Super 8 to the Ritz. It was that nice. The location of this hotel can't be beat. Also the on site restaurant, Lava, had a prime rib special that we ate twice! Yes, it was that good. I can't vouch for other restaurant food because our other meals there were only breakfast. As other reviews have stated, the WiFi is very iffy, especially across the street. I'm not sure if that is their fault or just the island in general. But other than that, everyone on staff was great and treated us superbly.

Room Tip: Definitely pay for Ocean Front!!
2 Thank debsmi55
Tracy, California
Reviewed June 19, 2013

Nothings perfect, but this was a great stay. First surprise was that our Ocean view room was nicely appointed, comfortable Heavenly bed, but it was across the street in a separate building from the resort. I was not expecting this. It's not far at all, but it does make you feel separate from the restaurants, pools, bars, lobby, business center. They have the spa, separate pool and another business center in the other building, but still fills separated. The very next morning we were offered and upgrade an Ocean front room for only $50 more a night. This room was about $100 more a night online so my wife took it. What a room...huge...two beds, the lanai that leads out to the ocean is the best for morning coffee, sunrises, sunsets, drinks, relaxing, and so much more. Loved this room. The staff was amazing. All of them. One guy at the pool towel counter, Julio, was rude, but everyone at this hotel is nice, genuine and very well trained. Loved the free activities. Robert was great with the activities and Cynthia makes the best mai tais at Lavas. Lavas does close a bit early and Rum Fire has a small menu. Other restaurants are very close by. Love this Sheraton and will surly return.

Room Tip: A room in the main building. If you can swing a deal for an ocean front room, do it, You will not be...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank livingwater71
Aloha livingwater71,

Thank you for choosing Sheraton Kauai Resort and for taking the time to review your stay with us. We are pleased to hear that your stay was nearly perfect, and we are happy that our team was able to assist you with an upgrade to better accommodate your wishes. Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding our staff; guest comments are important to us and we will be sharing them with our team. On behalf of the Sheraton Kauai ohana, we look forward to being of service to you again and welcoming you back to the resort soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Poipu
Kauai Beach Resort
#4 of 11 in Lihue
Marriott's Waiohai Beach Club
Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort & Spa
Koa Kea Hotel & Resort

Been to Sheraton Kauai Resort? Share your experiences!