“Great Value and Service”

Sheraton Kauai Resort
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Poipu
Reviewed June 11, 2013

Very Beautiful and centrally located. We enjoyed walking around the grounds and back and forth to some of the restaurants nearby. The beach and pool areas are immaculate. The restaurants are great if not a little bit expensive, I would definitely venture out into the town and get some basic groceries to keep your budget under control. We are both big runners and enjoyed the route to Spouting Horn (5 miles). I wish the hotel would get some new treadmills, however, because the ones they have are for home and not commercial use and are the only option when it gets too hot to run outdoors. There are also only two which get claimed early. It was a disappointing gym for a hotel of that size, though I doubt that is what most people go there for!

Room Tip: Spring for the Ocean View
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Elaine L, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Kauai Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 14, 2013

Aloha Sally D,

Thank you for choosing Sheraton Kauai and for taking the time to share your experience. We are pleased you enjoyed the resort's location and grounds as well as finding a great running course to Spouting Horn. We apologize for our fitness center not meeting your expectations; a plan is in place to update our fitness facility by the end of the year to provide a better workout experience for our guests. We hope we can share our improvements with you in the future and look forward to the chance to being of service to you again.

Reviewed June 9, 2013 via mobile

We stayed for a week at the Sheraton Kauai in Poipu and it was great! We booked an oceanfront room in the Ocean Wing of the resort. Our balcony overlooked the crashing waves and gorgeous sunset! I highly recommend spending a bit more money for this type of room. The staff was excellent and any request we had was taken care of. The pool and grounds were well manicured and the beach is the best on the island! We were there during high surf but it made for some fun times in the ocean!!

I highly recommend this resort if you're staying on the south side of the island!!!

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed June 3, 2013

My husband and I stayed on this property and it was a good experience. We were only in Kauai for a couple of days and ventured out most of the time so we really can't comment on all the amenities. I do love the sunnier side of the island, Poipu, though! Our tower was right next to the self-parking lot which proved to be very convenient to us. We also had a great ocean view even though we were across the street from the lobby and 'main' building.

We sat on the beach/pool area once after getting some local food nearby. The pool wasn't huge but the whole experience still proved to be nice. Although, I did think to myself "if we actually used the pool/beach and had to walk back to our hotel room across the street, that's a little inconvenient". If that sorta thing bothers you, I guess you'd need to pay more to stay at the 'main' building!

Back to our room... it was spacious enough for my me and my husband. Although, we got a double bed room which might have added to our space. We stayed at a resort in Maui a few days prior so naturally I was quick to compare the two, the Sheraton room was smaller and didn't have as much counter space. But not all hotel rooms are created equal and I still liked our room very much. It at least had bathroom ventilation which I griped about in a previous Hawaii hotel review! The design in the room was simple, clean, updated, and tropical. I would definitely stay here again but maybe I'd pay extra to stay at the 'main' building next time.. especially if I want to make more use of the hotel's pool, beach area, shopping, restaurants, etc.! I mean, it wasn't that big of a deal but sometimes it might be worth to pay extra for the convenience if your time is short (like ours was).

1  Thank KrisLT617
Reviewed June 2, 2013

The hotel is right on the water. We enjoyed sitting at the pool with the beach just feet away. The pool was large enough and pool service was good. The rooms were nice and the staff was very helpful and friendly. It was very nice for a beach hotel.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 2, 2013

Two weeks before our arrival at the Sheraton Kauai I contacted concierge and requested an additional coffee maker/hot pot (to boil water for tea) and two ceramic mugs for our use.I was assured that Housekeeping had been notified. Also I had reserved our room through Expedia and reserved a King room. After traveling 15 hours we arrived to find a room with two double beds, the standard coffe maker and no mugs. The person at the desk was very helpful and was able to get us a King room for the rest of our stay and arranged for our requests. Unfortunately the seals on the complimentary bottles of water were broken and we found hairs on the wall of our shower. I am pretty easy going but I did talk to a attentive desk manager about our concerns. Though she showed respect for what I was saying and did apologise I did not feel that our concerns were taken seriously. It was a rocky start but on the flip side...this hotel is gorgeous with well tended green spaces, a beautiful pool area watched over by a great crew who were extremely attentive, in a great location and was our home-away-from-home for rest and relaxation!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Elaine L, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Kauai Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 10, 2013

Aloha Carol J,

Thank you for spending a week with us on Kauai last month and for taking the time to review your experience at Sheraton Kauai. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed the hotel grounds and our great location, however, we are sorry for failing to fulfill your requests and the status of your room upon your arrival to the resort. We thank you for connecting with a manager to allow us to rectify the situation. We hope you'll be back to visit your home away from home soon.

Reviewed May 31, 2013

We bid on Priceline for a 4 star hotel and got this Sheraton. I have stayed in many other Sheratons and they are usually really nice. Unfortunately this Sheraton did not meet our expectations for a 4 star hotel. First, the majority of rooms are not next to the ocean as shown in the picture- there is an entire complex across the street. So every time you want to access the main hotel, the pool, restaurant, ocean, etc. you need to walk 5 min. Our room was tiny and there was barely any room to move around. The bathroom was even smaller. The whole room is due for a renovation (which I have since been told has begun on some of the rooms). The room was not entirely clean- such as dust in the vents, and certain surfaces felt grimy. They did not use fitted sheets on the bed and the flat sheet they use does not stay tucked, exposing the bare mattress underneath which feels disgusting when you are trying to sleep. We were told no king bed rooms were available so we were stuck with two uncomfortable full size beds. The last thing I did not like is the $30/day resort fee which basically negated any savings we thought we were getting by bidding. This fee is ridiculous as there are no amenities at this hotel that are beyond what you would expect. The location of the hotel is great and all of the staff were extremely friendly.

2  Thank theresa238
Elaine L, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Kauai Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 6, 2013

Aloha twndragonz,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at Sheraton Kauai Resort. A honeymoon is such a momentous occassion, and while we are pleased that our team members were friendly and you found your room to be clean, it is with disappointment to read that several of your expectations were unmet during your stay. We are sorry you were unsatisfied with your bedding; please let us know next time so we can provide some alternatives to our down pillows, as foam pillows are also available. We are happy to hear you enjoyed the cuisine at the resort, but we are sorry for the lapse in service you experienced at RumFire. We have shared your comments with our team to ensure we are providing the service and amenities that our valuable guests expect when visiting the islands. Thank you again for taking the time to share your experience, and we hope for the chance to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed May 31, 2013

The location of this hotel is great. We had an oceanfront room that was clean and spacious. The front desk folks were fine, as were the members of the cleaning staff with whom we spoke. HOWEVER, we immediately were hit with a timeshare pitch by the concierge which gave us a negative feeling for the property. In addition, the valet parking service was extremely slow, and one of the valets was flat-out surly. Tell them you want to park your own car, even if you have to walk a couple of minutes to a parking lot.

Room Tip: Pay the extra dollars and get an oceanfront room. We did, and felt it was worth it.

Aloha TNGAtwo,

Thank you for choosing Sheraton Kauai for your trip to the islands and for taking the time to review your stay. It is always a pleasure to hear from guests who enjoy our great location and the aloha of our team members. However, we are sorry for the negative impression you were left with regarding the concierge and bellman you encountered. We have shared your comments with our team as we strive to ensure consistently great service with all of our guests. We hope we will have the chance to be of service to you again.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Poipu
Kauai Beach Resort
#4 of 11 in Lihue
Koloa
Marriott's Waiohai Beach Club
Koloa
Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort & Spa

Been to Sheraton Kauai Resort? Share your experiences!