“Pretty good for free”

Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Poipu
Ziimmerman
“Pretty good for free”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2013

I won our trip to Kauai, so for a free hotel stay, it was great. The rooms were clean. The grounds were beautiful. The restaurant was fabulous. The pool and beach were also wonderful. However, if we would have paid for our "partial ocean view" room, I would have been disappointed. It basically overlooked a parking lot with a distance view across the street of the ocean.

Room Tip: Pay for the ocean side rooms or don't expect a view and expect to walk a block to ocean and pool...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank N001363

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (873)
  • Polish first
Madison, Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for 5 days last week, and were worried about the hotel after reading some poor reviews on this site over the last couple weeks. We were pleasantly surprised with the overall resort cleanliness and friendliness. If you are a normal person this is a great resort at a reasonable price, with very friendly staff. The rooms are nothing special but have all the amenities you will need for a beach vacation…clean, comfortable, TV, fridge with daily water, tea/coffee, and balcony with table/chairs. The pool area and beach were clean, safe, and accessible. The restaurants and bars were typical overpriced hotel food/drinks but were there in a pinch for necessities and easy access to food/drinks. (Everything on the island is slightly more expensive anyway, but you can find better food and drinks at nearby restaurants and bars.) Parking was free, available, and close to rooms. I would stay here again; as the location is perfect for many activities on this island, beach was fun, and price was fair and reasonable.

Room Tip: We were in a Garden View room and it was fine. Other reviews called them "old and dreadful"...
1 Thank Hans N
Cleveland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2013

Just stayed 9 days there-and during the stay I also looked at the Hyatt and the Koa Kea to compare. Overall the Hyatt is far grander-much larger and terraced into a hillside overlooking a scenic coastline. It is where the well-heeled stay on Kauai's southern shore. Koa Kea is quite small-both the buildings and the pool area are friendly, pollished and sophisticated. Stay there if you want a quieter getaway.
The Sheraton has the best beach and a relaxing beach vacation feel. It is less scenic than the Hyatt-but much lovelier to swim and surf in. The pool is a disapoointment. It is not heated and rather basic.
Before you go know that:
*only some of it was completely renovated. The resort has a beach side and a "garden side" accross the street. Only the beach side rooms have been completely renovated. The garden side rooms have had only "minimal updates" and are rather shabby.
*Get the Ocean front rooms not just the ocean view room. The Ocean front rooms are 50 sf larger and have large patios where you can walk out to the shore (rocky shore not the beach section) and see the sunset from your patio.
*When they did the renovation the hotel tried to improve customer service...they still have issues. The valet and front desk staff are a work in progress. For great customer service stay at the Koa Kea -but you won't have the great beach : (
*If you need a wheelchair access room the ones at the Sheraton are in the farthest building down several long corridors and 2 elevator rides form anything else in the hotel. Also their accessible baths look spartan and prison like. There are no counter tops, no hooks, no shelves-making them very difficult and unpleasant to use. The only advantage is that they have a roll in shower.
*The elevator to the pool still smells like vomit-Come on Sheraton management don't you read these things?

Room Tip: Rooms 1104-1106 are the easiest to access if you have limited mobility.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank HeatherWilson
Claremont, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2013

I have stayed at Sheratons in Big Island, Maui, and Kauai in the past 9 months so I can say pretty definitively this is the best among those properties. Very relaxed environment with beautiful colors abound. In addition, they really treated me extra special as an SPG gold member. I recieved a major room upgrade from garden view to deluxe oceanfront, which gave me a phenomenal view of the ocean and the whales! Plus, we got a nice sheraton bag as a gift as well as free valet parking and a few free drinks. Concierge service was phenomenal. Room was updated recently and more than adequate, especially since we spent so little time in the room. Grounds were very nice, with nice firepits to chill around. The restaurant, Rumfire, was surprisingly good with really great ocean views. It was also reasonably priced for Hawaii and for the Poipu area. Overall, a great stay and I would not hesistate to stay again. Thank you, Sheraton Kauai!

1 Thank Youngbear L
Elaine L, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Kauai Resort, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
Aloha Youngbear L,

Thank you for choosing Sheraton Kauai and for taking the time to review your stay with us! We appreciate your comments regarding our relaxing environment and warm staff members. We were also pleased to hear you enjoyed our signature restaurant, RumFire, and other facilities available at Sheraton Kauai. We look forward to the chance to be of service to you again.
Unalaska
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2013

We paid $299.00 per night, but when they add on the $30 resort fee and other taxes and such, it ended up being $350 a night. So ... yes, parking is free and wi-free is free ... but with a $30 resort fee ... is it really?? I went to the fitness center once. The treadmill I tried to use had a lot of bells and whistles, but the front cover was off and I could see the mechanism inside. I pushed every button to get it to start and it didn't. I thought it might be out of order. There was no attendant in the fitness center, even though there was a counter for an attendant. I went out to the front desk to get assistance and one of the managers came to assist (she brought along another guest who was touring the property for a wedding I believe). Once we got there, another guest was on the treadmill and had figured out how to start it. I tried to explain to her that I was on it and had gone to get assistance but it was too late. She was already running so I had to cancel my workout. I ended up walking/running outside and it was lovely. Should have done that from the start. My husband and I never again visited the fitness center. We ate at Rum Fire to celebrate our 16th wedding anniversary. After one hour, I was still waiting for my first re-fill on my drink and we had barely gotten our appetizer and eaten it. We had to tell the waitress to go ahead and bring us the check and we went and ate elsewhere. The waitress, however, was very nice and apologetic and we did give her a tip because of her attitude. She even sent us a bottle of champagne to apologize. The room we got was across the street, if the garden pool had a hot tub or meal service, it might have been nice. Their spa was being renovated or something so they had their massage tables set up in a hotel room. It was nice, but I was expecting spa treatment .. saunas, robes, hot tub access, etc. There was none of that. The salon was closed everytime I went by it. There was never anyone staffing it. I wanted a manicure and maybe a hair treatment. The menu at Lava's left much to be desired. The check-in was pleasant, the staff person that checked us in was very nice. I spoke to the concierge once to see about maybe arranging to see a show or something. She immediately tried to talk me into a time-share presentation. I told her I would have to ask my husband and just had her arrange my massage and then got out of there. I awkwardly tried to avoid her everytime I walked through the lobby. We walked the grounds at the Grand Hyatt and next time I am in Kauai I will check that out instead. I won't go back to the Sheraton and I won't recommend the Sheraton to any of my friends.

Room Tip: Get ocean front or ocean view if you must stay here. But, I really wouldn't spend the money for...
1 Thank alaskagal98
Detroit, Michigan, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2013

This was the best hotel experience I've ever had, hands down. First off, if you are staying here- splurge and get an ocean front room. Stay in the ocean wing (completely unobstructed water view) as opposed to the beach wing (pool area between the room and ocean). We stayed first floor, on the very corner and we were mere steps from the ocean waves crashing on the rocky shore. Large balcony with comfortable furniture. Great whale watching from the room. Large room, GREAT bathroom with dual sinks. Front desk staff (Leona specifically) was so accommodating and helpful. It was our 6 year anniversary and they gave us a free bottle of champagne, which was very nice. We only ate at Rum Fire once as it's pricey, but the food was awesome. Usually I am not impressed by hotel food, as the price is high with often mediocre food- but this food was worth the price (flatbreads were great!).

I can imagine the rooms on the other side of the road from the beach are not as wonderful, as the most amazing part was the experience of being so close to the water. We even had to close the door wall a little bit at night because the waves were so loud! Hotel was quiet generally. The pool area was nice. Not overly spectacular, but there was plenty of room. It would be nice if they added a few umbrellas or some shade closer to the pool area. Also, there was only one (big) hot tub (which was usually filled with kids). Given the fact they just spent 17 million on a huge renovation, it would have been nice for them to add another hot tub and perhaps make it adults only. Also, the pool was pretty cold.

Wonderful hotel with great staff, you won't be disappointed!

Room Tip: Ocean front (NOT to be confused with ocean view)
1 Thank Kelly B
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2013

We recently stayed at this hotel for 6 nights. The hotel is well placed for exploring the rest of the island. We enjoyed our stay and would stay here again. It is expensive but no more so than any other hotel of the same standard. The rooms were clean and well maintained. We thought the resort fee of $30 was a bit excessive; this was more than any of the other 4 hotels we stayed at in Hawaii. I don't understand why hotels do this. Why don't they just put the room prices up so the customer does not notice the extortion? Perhaps their prices would look less competitive with the other resorts. There are two swimming pools and a beach. I particularly liked the outdoor seats surrounding the open fire. The restaurant was of good quality but also expensive. However there are two shopping centres up the road with a variety of restaurants to choose from. We especially liked the Josselin's Tapas Bar & Grill in the Kukui'Ula Village Mall. The lychee sangria was delicious as was the food. This is one of the best tapas places I've ever been to.

This is a very large resort and we found this a little inconvenient. This was a minor concern for us, but could be a problem for the less mobile. One other gripe I do have is that the room cleaning is too early. We were woken up by knocking on the door every day before 9am which is far too early for people on holiday. On one such day our room did not get serviced at all and this was probably because we did not leave it until 10am.

Despite the negatives, and overall good experience.

2 Thank m00dle255060
Also consider these accommodations in or near Poipu
Kauai Beach Resort
#4 of 11 in Lihue
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,223 reviews
Koloa
Marriott's Waiohai Beach Club
Koloa
Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort & Spa

Been to Sheraton Kauai Resort? Share your experiences!