“Respect them, and get respect in return”

Sheraton Kauai Resort
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Poipu
San Francisco, California
“Respect them, and get respect in return”
Reviewed December 30, 2012

In reading through the reviews just now, and sitting on the beach in front of the Sheraton as I type, I have to admit there is a lack of respect and manners from many of the tourists. Many are nice and courteous, but just as many are impatient, rude, and disrespectful of their fellow guests and staff.

My husband and I have stayed here for 3 nights from 12/28 -12/31 and have had no issues. We did our research, booked an ocean front room and knew to expect the $30 daily resort fee. Yes, if you book just an ocean VIEW room, that is what you will get. If you want ocean FRONT, well, book it then!

We got a great rate booking through the hotel website 8 months in advance (yes, because it is the holidays). All our expectations have been met. Service is friendly, relaxed, and sincere- which I hope we as guests have been to them.

If you are looking for finger-snap service and to be pampered at the expense of other guests' comfort, this place is not for you. Look past some of your creature comforts at home and see the natural beauty this island has to offer- we've seen amazing sunrises/sunsets, enjoyed the unique flowers and birds on this island, whales passing by off shore, and were even rewarded with seeing a monk seal come to shore to relax for the day in front of our cabana. Life is good. :)

If there were one reason I would not stay at this hotel, it would be because of the rude tourists staying here. The staff do a wonderful job managing them, IMHO.

Room Tip: Note the difference between ocean FRONT and VIEW when booking. BIG difference. We got a front on the...
10 Thank TammySS

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (897)
  • Polish first
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed December 30, 2012

We wanted a quiet place for a romantic getaway. From the valet's greeting when we arrived to the "aloha" when we left, our stay at the Sheraton Kaua'i was wonderful.

We had reserved a "luxury" oceanfront, and really wanted it to be quiet, private-feeling but still have a nice view. After talking it over with the young lady at check-in, she recommended a room for us and it was perfect. Upper floor (high ceilings!), balconies facing the pool (gorgeous sunrises!) and ocean (monk seals! whales!), no upstairs neighbors, no sounds but the waves on the beach and the breeze in the trees. Awesome.

All the staff we dealt with was warm and helpful, and we felt like friends coming to visit rather than hotel guests. Special shout-outs to Lahela, who took such great care of us at check-in, and Shantelle, our concierge who was spot-on in suggesting things we might like to see and do on the island.

About the only less-than-wonderful thing to report was Rumfire. We had dinner there a couple of times and, while the food was very good, the prices were a bit steep and the place had a feel that didn't really fit with the rest of the property. It is almost like it was trying too hard to be "cool" on a property that has a much more laid-back feel. Instead of a simple pina colada, for example, they had some vanilla-infused thing that wasn't great and didn't seem tropical at all. I wish it had been more like the rest of the place - open-air, casual and less "sterile". On the flip side, we loved Lava's and got lots of snacks - and great pina coladas - from there. And we loved that there are no touristy/overpriced shops on the property.

Would definitely stay here again. As a previous poster mentioned, Kaua'i is not as "busy" as some of the other places, so if you're looking for bars and parties, this isn't the place. And, although Poipu is more likely to be "nice" in December than the north shore, it's still winter here and wind/rain do happen. But the rain is only occasional, the skies are gorgeous, and if you're looking for romance, relaxation and casual tropical beauty, you won't find a better place than the Sheraton Kaua'i.

Room Tip: for-sure book an ocean-front. Be aware that the "luxury" ocean-front rooms are only on th...
1 Thank pukashell1212
Portland
Reviewed December 28, 2012

This hotel was supposedly refreshed a couple years ago in a $16mm refurb. Unfortunately, most the money was spent in public areas. One staff member said $6mm was spent for Rum Fire restaurant alone.
So the rooms are plain to say the least, very basic Sheraton fare. Look at the website and what you see is what you get. We we're "upgraded" to ocean front, BUT NO SPG Platinum Suite Upgrade. The front desk did a real tap dance around that. If you stay at the Sheraton because the price is low, you definitely need to get ocean front. Even the ocean view rooms are not great. And garden view would suck. Otherwise don't stay here. If the price is over $200 or you can't get ocean front. I would head elsewhere. The Marriott and the Grand Hyatt are close and much nicer.
WiFi in the room did not work. And for $30/day resort fees, it needs to work. On the second day, they provided a router to use and admitted the resort is looking to get a new internet provider, so in the meantime, all the guests are saddled with slow or non existent wifi. The front desk also suggested I park myself in the Link area to use the public computers, which I did the first day.
Rum Fire is a good restaurant. It's pricier than comparable restaurants and we only ate there once for dinner because we know the restaurants like Merriman's or Roy's that are in the area, which are much better and similar or lower price points. We also noticed the service was painfully slow even with about 2/3 of the tables empty.
The pool area is so-so. Nothing that great and no resort feel like you have at the Grand Hyatt.
Staff seemed to be quite pleasant and happy and service was quick, probably because there weren't many guests.
Valet brought our car and 5 minutes later he's calling me to say come back to the resort. It turns out the Altima rental car had a keyless remote and he had kept the keys in his hands as we drove off in the rental car. I couldn't believe it, but at least he had the forethought to call the cell phone when he realized the problem. They might want to have the phone number for each guest written on the claim check attached to the keys, so they can call a little more quickly.
Link computer area was added in the refurb and exactly what you would expect. The Link cafe/coffee shop has also been added and is an easy place to get a coffee, though we enjoyed walking up to the shopping center to grab coffee. It gave us a morning walk and got us off a fairly boring property, other than the location on the beach.
To sum it up, the ONLY way I would go back is for a low price. I'm used to Platinum Suite upgrades and when the property has well less than 50% occupancy and several suites are vacant (I checked and I even toured one) it's not worth the little time I have to travel for pleasure to be feeling miffed or slighted. It just wasn't that great of experience. And when I'm traveling for pleasure, I want the experience or I won't go back.
If you want a cheap room, this is probably the place on Poipu. Just don't have high expectations.

4 Thank PDXStocks
Kirkland, Washington, United States
Reviewed December 26, 2012

This was a horrible hotel. They charge a $30.00 a day fee plus tax for stuff you'll never use and services they do not provide. We put the sign on our bed to have the bedding changed and they never changed it (we stayed for 6 days for our honeymoon!), they say they leave two waters a day complimentary for their guests, we only saw that half the time we stayed. When we first arrived, we mentioned we were on our honeymoon and when we got to our room it was 2 double beds! We went and complained and were told that we were outside of our category (whatever that means) but that they would "help us out this one time" and give us a king bed, even though that is what we reserved!
The pools were all cold and not heated and the garden pool was dirty.
Our toilet in our room ran about every hour or so, so we had to sleep with the bathroom door closed or it would wake us up in the middle of the night.
One of my biggest complaints is that the book of information they leave in the room for you is inaccurate. It stated that the Lava restaurant opened at 10:30 but when we went down for brunch, we were never greeted or asked for our order and when my husband went up to find out what was going on, a waiter told him that they don't open until 11. My husband looked at his phone and said, my phone says it's 11:01 and walked back to my table to collect me where we promptly left and did not return.
If that wasn't the worst service I ever had, I would like to note that the staff at the front desk at the Sheraton was completely rude as well. They made it seem like an inconvenience to help us. They also insisted on charging an additional $50.00 a day to my debit card because it was debit and not credit. I am still waiting for that money to be released.
The last night was simply the worst and we were ready to go home and never come back to the Sheraton. We had not one, but three cockroaches come through the bathroom vent. Completely disgusting. I've stayed at 2 star hotels and never experienced cockroaches in my room, let alone a supposed 4 star hotel.

I would not ever stay here or ever recommend the Sheraton hotel in Kauai. Don't stay here. Take your $30 a day fee and spend it on a room at the Marriott down the street. Their beach is way better for snorkeling anyway.

Room Tip: Save the $30 a day fee they charge and book a room down the street at the Marriott. Way nicer for th...
8 Thank KKW1483
Elaine L, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Kauai Resort, responded to this review, December 28, 2012
Aloha KKW1483,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Sheraton Kauai Resort, and we are very sorry that your expectations were unmet during your visit in several areas, particularly with our lapse in service for your daily cleaning, the inconvenience your toilet caused and the in-room compendium, which we are working on updating due to recent changes at the resort. With regard to our resort fee, which includes parking, complimentary Internet and our Kids Eat Free program among other amenities, the included services are open to all guests, and we are unable to adjust the fee based on what services go unused. We are especially sorry for the unpleasant experience you had with cockroaches in your room. The resort is diligent in its weekly pest control maintenance, and such instances are unusual despite the tropical environment in which we are situated. We would welcome the chance to discuss this further and encourage you to reach out to me at 808-742-1661 at your earliest convenience. I look forward to connecting with you.

With warm aloha,
Elaine Leung
Front Office Manager
Phoenix, Oregon
Reviewed December 26, 2012

We stayed 5 nights at this Sheraton, clean, well kept. We loved our upgrade to the oceanfront side. (away from the pool) staff are A-1 very helpful and accommodating . They had free valet parking and a free shuttle to locations in the poipu area.

Room Tip: Definitely get on the ocean side!
1 Thank Vickiwms
Seattle, WA
Reviewed December 25, 2012

In October we decided to go to Hawaii over Christmas. Plenty of time to book a room. I'm Starwood Platinum and decided to use points at the Sheraton Poipu. They have just completed a $16M renovation project and they told me they had upgraded us to a Ocean View Room. I was really excited until I got to our room, then I was like RU Kidding me? Take a look at the ocean view pics from the balcony and you be the judge.

Two Double beds, tiny room, tiny bathroom, tiny balcony, can tell you none of the $16M in renovation money went into building #3. If you stay here you want a Deluxe Ocean View.

Room Tip: Ocean View means views of street, telephone poles, parking lots, tennis courts and a bunch of other...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank ScottD58
Elaine L, Guest Relations Manager at Sheraton Kauai Resort, responded to this review, December 27, 2012
Aloha Scott D58,

Thank you for choosing Sheraton Kauai Resort for your December trip to the islands and for taking the time to share your experience following your stay. We appreciate feedback from loyal Starwood Platinum members such as yourself, and were disappointed that you were dissatisfied with your room category. As the resort was nearly at full capacity over the holidays from earlier in the year, we apologize that we were unable to relocate you to a room that would better meet your expectations, such as our beach front or ocean front rooms, which tend to be in highest demand. Again, we thank you for your patronage and look forward to the chance to be of service to you again.
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Reviewed December 24, 2012 via mobile

Wanted a central location for the islands activities with nice accommodations and good value - Sheraton fit these well. We stayed in the Garden View rooms - in fact, we were in Building 8 which is the furthest from the beach and this worked. I read the reviews on here about the Garden View rooms being too small and too far and you should upgrade to the ocean view ones; I think it depends on what you are looking for - if it is your honeymoon and you want to have a once in a lifetime experience with the ocean at your front steps or don't mind paying a good sum extra - go for it. For my wife and me, we liked being able to come back from a long hike at Waimea Canyon or any adventure up North and not be in the middle of the action unless we wanted to, which was a 200' or so walk to the beach/pool complex. Room size was more than enough - probably a little tight if you get two double beds and try to fit four people in it but that is to be expected at any resort. Comfortable bed and always well cleaned each day. Had a smaller pool outside our balcony, which was barely used - so this was an option as well.
No issue with service - we had a 9:30PM flight out and the staff offered us a "hospitality room" to clean up before heading to the airport, which allowed us to be able to enjoy the entire day at the pool and beach instead of wasting it waiting or heading to the airport nasty - great idea!
Weather in December is hit or miss - colder (70's) days, we opted for a hike or visiting another part of the island - sunny days for the beach / pool area. We were there 5 days and 2 were pool / beach days and other 3 were better suited for off property activities - which were excellent - some of the hikes on both the West and East side of the island will be the best your have ever hiked both in scenery and challenge. Don't expect to enjoy a December vacation at the pool the entire time - renting a car is essential!

Stayed December 2012
2 Thank Fancy H
Also consider these accommodations in or near Poipu
Kauai Beach Resort
#4 of 11 in Lihue
Marriott's Waiohai Beach Club
Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort & Spa
Koa Kea Hotel & Resort

Been to Sheraton Kauai Resort? Share your experiences!