My wife and I stayed at the Sheraton Kauai for 5 nights in mid-August. After reading many trip advisor reviews, I was a bit concerned about the quality of the room and possible construction. We did not need to be concerned.
We stayed in a Garden Room on the 3rd level. The room, while it showed its age a little, was spacious and easily accommodated 2 in the style you would expect from quality hotel accommodation. Most importantly the king size bed was very comfortable and included good pillows (a must in my opinion).
Their location at Poipu is fabulous - the beach area offers a good combination of quality ocean swimming (the water was very clean, the perfect temperature and safe while still having some good swells). If prefer chlorine over salt the pool, bar and usual resort style environment is adjacent. There are sufficient sub chairs for both pool and sea. I personally recommend the beach and it seems the locals also agreed - one afternoon a Hawaiian monk seal saw up and placed itself on the beach to sun itself for hours and right in front of the beach dwellers, it was a wonderful experience!
Staff were always friendly and restaurants were usual Sheraton style. If you are like us and find these eating environments a bit sterile and too similar. I recommend going to Kukui`ula Village, which has a wide array of eateries ranging from simple and inexpensive to more extensive menus with commensurate prices. I personally recommend you try Living Foods Market (includes a great fresh breakfast menu) and the Tortilla Republic (go upstairs). The village is an easy 15 minute (about 1km) walk from the Sheraton. Alternatively go the other way and try the Poipu Shopping Village, which also offers a range of eating venues including a well stocked but higher priced marketplace.
The only real issues we had with the Sheraton were minor (and in one case not really an issue for the hotel): the wi-fi reception was pretty poor from inside the room so we always had to go onto the balcony to get a decent reception (given the Sheraton automatically charge everybody a reasonably high surcharge for this service I would have expected better), and secondly if you are like us and did not rent a car, getting vendors of the many outdoor activities to come to the hotel is very hard and expensive - although I reckon this would be the same any where on this beautiful and very attractive island. Overall I strongly suggest you spend time in Kauai - you won't forget it.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The luxurious Sheraton Kauai Resort on Poipu Beach in Hawaii has the Hawaiian Rainforest Spa, water sports, two pools, a weekly Auli'i Luau, and 50,000 sq ft of indoor/outdoor meeting and event space ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotwire, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Starwood, getaroom.com, Cancelon, TripOnline SA and Evoline ltd so you can book your Sheraton Kauai Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sheraton Kauai Hotel Poipu
- Sheraton Poipu
- Poipu Sheraton
- Sheraton Kauai Resort Poipu