“Better than the reviews suggested”

Sheraton Kauai Resort
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Poipu
Reviewed August 24, 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Sheraton Kauai for 5 nights in mid-August. After reading many trip advisor reviews, I was a bit concerned about the quality of the room and possible construction. We did not need to be concerned.

We stayed in a Garden Room on the 3rd level. The room, while it showed its age a little, was spacious and easily accommodated 2 in the style you would expect from quality hotel accommodation. Most importantly the king size bed was very comfortable and included good pillows (a must in my opinion).

Their location at Poipu is fabulous - the beach area offers a good combination of quality ocean swimming (the water was very clean, the perfect temperature and safe while still having some good swells). If prefer chlorine over salt the pool, bar and usual resort style environment is adjacent. There are sufficient sub chairs for both pool and sea. I personally recommend the beach and it seems the locals also agreed - one afternoon a Hawaiian monk seal saw up and placed itself on the beach to sun itself for hours and right in front of the beach dwellers, it was a wonderful experience!

Staff were always friendly and restaurants were usual Sheraton style. If you are like us and find these eating environments a bit sterile and too similar. I recommend going to Kukui`ula Village, which has a wide array of eateries ranging from simple and inexpensive to more extensive menus with commensurate prices. I personally recommend you try Living Foods Market (includes a great fresh breakfast menu) and the Tortilla Republic (go upstairs). The village is an easy 15 minute (about 1km) walk from the Sheraton. Alternatively go the other way and try the Poipu Shopping Village, which also offers a range of eating venues including a well stocked but higher priced marketplace.

The only real issues we had with the Sheraton were minor (and in one case not really an issue for the hotel): the wi-fi reception was pretty poor from inside the room so we always had to go onto the balcony to get a decent reception (given the Sheraton automatically charge everybody a reasonably high surcharge for this service I would have expected better), and secondly if you are like us and did not rent a car, getting vendors of the many outdoor activities to come to the hotel is very hard and expensive - although I reckon this would be the same any where on this beautiful and very attractive island. Overall I strongly suggest you spend time in Kauai - you won't forget it.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank GandM_Travels
Write a ReviewReviews (2,268)

Reviewed August 23, 2012

I recently spent 7 nights at the Sheraton Kauai resort. The beachfront amenities are wonderful. The pool is nice, with great towel service. The beach is incomparably perfect... just 20 steps from the property, with golden sand bottom and great temperatures. The staff were really friendly and quite helpful, from the concierge to the cleaning staff, to the excellent bartender at RumFire (Benjie).

However, I was overwhelmed by their zeal to zap you for another $40 every time you turn around. The onsite dining was overpriced (walk to the north end of the beach and eat better food at the nicer Koa Kea resort for better prices, especially at lunchtime). The coffee shop charged $4.50 for a drip coffee. The resort fee is $25, and while they offer all sorts of classes, I didn't find the value worth the cost.

I had no car for the first three days and this was fine. It's reasonable walking to all sorts of dining, shopping, beaching, and more. However, if I was going to pay their full listed price for this property, I'd consider going down the street to Koa Kea, which is much more intimate and much more classy.

Finally, I was traveling solo and found that the crowd here tended to be "resort" which also means "couples" or "honeymooners" or "elderly people from New Jersey." Again, I think a more boutique hotel would have provided better opportunities to meet and mingle.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank NorthSister
Reviewed August 20, 2012

Is it the Island Beauty or the Hotel charisma.. I don't know.. But I N'joyd my stay at the Sheraton. Reception was pretty helpful and there was a lady very cheerful, full of energy.. Leeona (I presume I got the name right). She set the tone of my stay perfectly right with her smile and bubbly talks. Rum Fire food was good and they served my special food request of Vegetarian.

A Must place to njoy your stay in Hawaii..

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank SaurabhQ
Reviewed August 19, 2012

We spent a week here and purchased an upgrade to have ocean front in the Ocean wing. Its a great location, love the beach, love the pool and the breakfast buffet is wonderful to start your day off. The Front Desk staff were incredibly friendly and accomodating. If you want rain, stay on the North side of the Island, if you want beach and sun, stay on the south side and stay here!!

Room Tip: Pay for upgrade and get a ocean front room away from the main pool. Well worth it!
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Art B
Reviewed August 19, 2012

Had an oceanview room. Great view every morning, watching the locals boogey boarding, surfing, and beautiful rainbows from the early morning showers. Had access to the pool area and beach with out any issues on getting lounge chairs. The staff was really great. They actually made you feel like it was resort. The Valet Guys were the best of any of the three Sheratons our family stayed at while in Hawaii. Whether directions, suggestions of places to eat, opening doors for my family or taking care of my luggage. They made them feellike royalty.

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms on right side were quiet and away from the pool and all the people traffic.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 19, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for the first part of our honeymoon and loved every minute of it! The resort is stunning and our room was very comfortable. The resort is on the smaller side, so you almost feel like your are at a boutique hotel. The pool and beach were never crowded. Even though there were families there with kids, it was never loud. Honestly, we found the resort to have a romantic feel despite that it isn't geared for couples only. It is in a good location right on Poipu beach and is only 1.5 hours or so from the North Shore and about 30-40 minutes to the canyon. We will definetely stay here again!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank HolmesnShizz
Reviewed August 18, 2012

I recommend Grand Hyatt down the road. If you are spending money here then go to a place that really looks after your needs. Do not do this trip cheap. There were a lot of great things at this resort, minus the construction during our stay and the staff trying to sell us an upgrade if we went to their north resort for a 2hr time share presentation!!! The coupon DOES NOT WORK!!! You get an additional coupon for 50% your next stay at a Starwood property. The discount only applies to higher rates (rack room). We were going to use that coupon to stay at the W in Chicago and was give a nightly rate of $290.00. That is half of the rack room rate. I got a deal on hotels.com for $250.00. No discount... Terrible staff. We go married on the beach and my wife hates that place so much, I have years to convince her to go back to Kauai... We will one day, but we will never stay at the Sheraton Kauai....

Room Tip: You need an ocean view room if you cant get to the Hyatt...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
8  Thank mooseknucks
Also consider these accommodations in or near Poipu
Kauai Beach Resort
#4 of 11 in Lihue
Koloa
Marriott's Waiohai Beach Club
Koloa
Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort & Spa

Been to Sheraton Kauai Resort? Share your experiences!