“Beautiful Hotel!”

Sheraton Kauai Resort
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Poipu
Reviewed July 11, 2012

This resort is wonderful, the breakfast buffet at the restaurant is simply delicious, although the servers were severely understaffed. Hotel is situated on a great spot in Poipu - very scenic & breathtaking sunsets. Great grounds, nice touch handing out popsicles at the pool.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,305)

Reviewed July 10, 2012

My husband, 2 kids and I stayed here last year.....what a mistake! The only reason I'm writing this review now is because we just to bk from staing at the Sheraton Wakiki which was worth every penny. The Sheraton Poipu stay was our irsr time in Hawaii and me if I ver wanted to come back. We were told at the time the renovation was going to be complete and it wasn't so we had to take the kids to the garden pool...I'm sure a motel would have a better pool. The food was god awful and the room was absolutely disgusting. Btw what was the resort fee for....didn't feel anything like a resort...glorified Motel 6 was more like it. We couldn't even take the kids to the beach because of construction so we had to drive to the public beach. I felt some relief when we met other guest staying at the "hotel" and they were just as disgusted and disappointed as we were.
The staff was soooo unenthusiastic about being there themselves....what a greeting. We spent most of our time at other resorts or the beach just to avoid the most depressing place in Hawaii. I would highly recommend finding a much better hotel in Kaui or just go to Wakiki like we did...know that is a resort!
Sorry, but that was the worst place I have every stayed...disgusting! If I could give it a negative star I would...what a joke.

Room Tip: Don't stay at this hotel
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
5  Thank Lila S
Reviewed July 8, 2012

The Sheraton has one of if not the best beach in the Poipu area. The property is well located and close to local shopping villages, restaurants and beaches. Our room had full ocean view and was delightful. Staff was very friendly. The on-premises restaurant for breakfast had a very good but not world class buffet but expensive at $23.00 per person. Overall, I highly recommend the Sheraton Kauai at Poipu. One thing to be aware of is the daily tax that is not in the room cost and charged at departure.

Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank SuitsMeColorado
Reviewed July 8, 2012

The staff here is super friendly and efficient. From the warm check in to all of the servers in the restaurants, the staff is really well trained. We stayed in a partial ocean view room, which put us in building three - with a great view of the luau lawn. :) I knew what I was doing, so be aware that in pretty much any hotel in Hawaii, a partial ocean view means that you can see at least a partial view of the ocean from your lanai and maybe your room.

The rooms are clean (great job to the friendly housekeeping staff - mahalo)!

Our only trepidation was with our experience at the newly refurbished restaurant. It is lovely and the menu is varied and interesting. The food arrived in odd fits and starts - our entrees arrived before our appetizer/starters and our drinks arrived when dinner was nearly done. Then, the computer was down, so they couldn't complete our bill, which we were charging to our room. The waiter called around 11 p.m. to close out our bill. Having just arrived the day before, we were still on mainland time, so it was that panic feeling you get when the phone rings at 2 a.m. :) You know what it's like. It could've been handled better. Not a complaint - more of a training opportunity.

The beachside bar is great. I wish it was open later. Good food choices and again, excellent service.

One last note: other than the late-night call from our waiter - I slept great at this hotel! The beds were super comfortable with nice-quality sheets.

Room Tip: I would select an ocean-view room if I were to stay here again, because a road separates the garden...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Management response:Responded July 9, 2012

Aloha judysj,

Thank you for choosing Sheraton Kauai Resort as your accommodations in the islands and for reviewing your recent stay! We were pleased to read that we shared our aloha with you with respect to friendly, efficient service and room cleanliness. We apologize that there was some inconsistency in your RumFire dining experience and the late phone call from your waiter. It must have been frustrating to be called at a late hour. Your feedback has been brought to our food and beverage staff to take into consideration the time of day they are contacting guests, as well as your comments regarding the timing of food delivery. Your valuable insight helps us to grow as a hotel, and we look forward to being of service to you again soon.

Mahalo nui loa,
Lauren Jollymour
F&B Coordinator

Reviewed July 8, 2012

Just returned from my fourth visit to Kauai and each time I stayed at the Sheraton. Although we had a wonderful stay, I am sorry to say that in my opinion, they remodeled "out" the things that have kept me loyal. I am really sad that they discontinued the sunset mai tai party. For me, it was NOT about free drinks but rather the charm of the local hula dancers and band. I would have been happy to pay for a mai tai if I could still sit on the lawn and enjoy that peaceful bit of the lovely Hawaiian culture. I miss the funky little gift shop with it's local cook books, history books, and craft items. The new fire pits are nice, but I miss that outdoor deck and the ability to sit seaside in the evening and enjoy a light refreshment. I also missed being able to have breakfast open to the air and sea (versus and air conditioned restaurant). Thank goodness for the addition of the little cafe, but why do you close it mid-day?

Beachside, I thought the cabanas with tv's were silly although I must admit, they were popular. I also don't understand why I'm now required to have a room key in order to use the rest room! I guess what I'm saying is if you want that swanky experience, then you may love it here; it's not a bad place. However, it no longer holds that special charm that it once had, and to me it is a real loss.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 7, 2012

I stayed at the Sheraton with my husband and 7 year old son. When we arrived at 3pm, our room was not ready, so they gave us a voucher for $15.00 at the Lava pool side restaurant/bar. We checked into our partial ocean view room but later that same night discovered ants crawling in the bathroom sink area and on the inside of the front door. They offered to have someone spray for the ants, but we declined, not wanting to be exposed to bug spray/chemicals. They then offered to move us to another room. Although our son was already asleep in bed and we had to re-pack all our belongings, it turned out to be a good move. They moved us to the side of the property which was recently renovated and to a Deluxe Garden View room, which was larger, more up to date, and had a nicer bathroom than the partial ocean view room. It took awhile to get a bellman to come help transfer our luggage (2 phone calls to the front desk), so they waived the resort fee for our stay. I would recommend getting a Deluxe Garden view room instead of a partial ocean view room simply because they are larger and nicer and closer to the pool and beach. My son enjoyed playing on the beach, and having access to walk to the beach from our room. He also loved being able to go to the hot tub after playing at the beach. The food at Lava was o.k., but the food was slow to come out. We ate at Rum Fire for the buffet breakfast almost every morning, however being that it was pricey, it would be nice if the restaurant would also offer menu items instead of just the buffet. Overall, we enjoyed our stay and would come back again.

Room Tip: Choose a Deluxe Garden View room over a partial ocean view room
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 7, 2012

Have stayed at this hotel before and find the location to be lovely. Amenities are good and service professional, courteous and friendly. Only complaints: horrible gym (old, old, old equipment), and an awful "cafe" with stale offerings (we had a blueberry bagel and muffin) at outrageous prices -- you could have used both for a softball or better yet weapon. We would stay here again just be prepared for gym and go somewhere else for a quick bite to eat.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Poipu
Kauai Beach Resort
#4 of 11 in Lihue
Koloa
Marriott's Waiohai Beach Club
Koloa
Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort & Spa

Been to Sheraton Kauai Resort? Share your experiences!