Koa Kea Hotel & Resort(Poipu)
$562
$479
$596
$549
Hyatt.com
$419
Orbitz.com
The Point at Poipu(Poipu)(Great Value!)
$299
Kiahuna Plantation Resort(Poipu)(Great Value!)
$249
Travelocity
Aston at Poipu Kai(Poipu)(Great Value!)
$264
$659
$399
Travelocity
Savings alert! 15% below average rates

The price you found is 15% lower than this hotel's average rate of $469/night.

TripAdvisor
No availability for your dates from these sites
2,473 results
All reviewsrum fireocean wingocean frontgarden poollava restaurantlavashspg memberthe linkthe main hoteloceanfront roombeach sidepoipu beachkauai resortbreakfast buffetstarbucks coffeeour honeymoonhospitality room
Reviewed June 12, 2012

We chose this resort for our mother-daughter getaway because of its beautiful location right on Poipu Beach and because we heard they had just recently completed a major renovation project. While the property is beautiful, I couldn't be more disappointed with our stay. There was a snafu regarding our room reservation which resulted in an extra $30 charge per night because we had to upgrade to the next level (or take a king bed plus a roll-away, which neither of us wanted to sleep in for the price!). Within 5 minutes of entering our room, a cockroach skittered out from beneath the t.v. to greet us, and another one climbed the wall next to the bed, which I managed to kill with my shoe. In the morning, a construction crew began what was to be a 3-day project of tearing up and replacing sections of the concrete sidewalk that runs parallel to the beach, at the edge of the pool area. Suntanning guests were literally trying to enjoy their brief holiday at this oceanfront resort in the middle of a construction site, complete with caution tape, bobcats, a cement mixer, rebar, etc. I sent off an e-mail to management to complain about the situation and heard back "we're sorry we didn't meet or exceed your expectations." Frustrated with the response, I stepped out onto our balcony to take in the beautiful view and change my thoughts...then glanced down at the patio below ours and saw a rat scavenging for tidbits. Then the shower had another cockroach.
You think you know what you're getting when you plan a very special trip and take care in selecting a place based on its location and reputation. But it is the small things that make or break the experience. I could overlook a cockroach or two, knowing this is a tropical location. The construction could have been overlooked, had they done it in a more discreet and guest-friendly manner. The rat? No. That's just gross. But Poipu Beach is a gorgeous spot. Stay at the Marriott, stay at Kiahuna Plantation, stay at any number of resorts there. Stay at the Grand Hyatt if budget allows! If you want a resort that makes you feel like your vacation is special to them, too, don't stay at the Sheraton. After a few e-mails back and forth and no offer of compensation of any kind, it is obvious: their primary concern is the bottom line, not you.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
9  Thank Chip004
Elaine L, Guest Relations Manager at Sheraton Kauai Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 19, 2012

Aloha Chip 004,

Mahalo for your feedback regarding your stay. Please accept our sincere apologies regarding the inconveniences you experienced during your time with us as we realize this must have been a special mother-daughter trip for you. I am glad I had the chance to connect with you during your stay regarding construction. The work that was done was an unforeseen project that needed immediate attention to ensure the safety of our guests and associates, so that our resort can be enjoyed by guests safely for years to come. There is never a convenient time to conduct such maintenance work, and we are sorry this occurred during your visit.

Regarding rodents and insects, we take pest control very seriously at Sheraton Kauai Resort. In addition to our regular, twice monthly maintenance program, we had our pest control company inspect the property, with a positive result of no sign of rodent habitation. With respect to insects, as the resort is in a tropical environment and we welcome guests to enjoy the natural Hawaiian breeze, rare instances of insects in the room may occur, however, we continue to be diligent in this regard.

Again, we are truly sorry that your stay was unsatisfactory, and we invite you to reach out to us again so we may speak to you in person. I will send my contact information so we can continue our conversation offline.

Mahalo,

Reviewed June 11, 2012

Spent four days at the Sheraton Kauai resort as part of my honeymoon in September 2010 (also stayed at the Westin in Maui, see review). Overall, I found the hotel to be a well appointed establishment with friendly service, well kept grounds, and clean and spacious rooms. That said, while I found no glaring flaws or shortcomings with the hotel, I wasn't blown away by it either.

I booked the hotel as part of a package on Expedia and was pleased with my price. I elected to take a partial ocean view room to save money; in hindsight, this was an error. My room was not ready but an adjacent one was, so the hotel let us see the view we would be getting: the street and power lines, with ocean in the distance. You get what you pay for, lesson learned. We were able to switch to a nice garden view room and elected to stay there for two nights, then upgraded to full ocean view for the last night. This was well worth it, the room overlooked the pool complex, beach, and ocean across the whole horizon. The staff was very helpful with the room changing and should be commended for their efforts.

The rooms (both) were clean and large, with very comfortable beds featuring thick, soft bedding. Slept great. Showers had good pressure, always a plus. The hotel grounds are very well kept and strolling around was very pleasant. This is not a high rise, it tops out at four stories. The pool complex is nice, but a bit small, and has a water slide which proved more fun than its small size would have suggested. There was no problem getting a lounge chair, though shade is at a premium here. When lounging by the pool, be sure to try a Lilikoi Lemonade, they're delicious.

One caution about the beach at the Sheraton.. the surf is active and the beach is steep. This made for some less than leisurely swimming; my wife stayed out of the water completely. Maybe this varies depending on the season, but definitely something to keep in mind.

We had breakfast at the buffet and enjoyed it, though we actually wound up getting some cheaper fare at a few local places. We had lunch at Bubba Burgers at a nearby shopping center, and the Teriyaki burger was good. Went to Roy's for dinner and found that it lived up to the chain's reputation for excellent food. There was also a place across the parking lot from Roy's (can't remember the name) which had tasty fare, especially their fish, at pretty reasonable prices for lunch and dinner.

As far as Kauai's attractions, the highlight was our dinner cruise to the Napali coast. We went with a catamaran outfitter (also can't recall which one), and were treated to sea turtles, spinner dolphins swimming with the boat, and absolutely breathtaking views!! But beware, the sea gets rough, especially on the return trip. If you get seasick be sure to load up on the Bonine, because more than a few passengers got sick. We saw some people making the trip in some much smaller boats and I just felt sorry for them, they looked wet, sick, and miserable!

Overall, the Sheraton is a quality place to stay, and I would recommend it. It is a relaxing place with nice comfy rooms, friendly staff, and beautiful grounds and views. However, I think this hotel, and the island of Kauai as a whole, may be better suited to a family vacation than for a honeymoon. My wife and I enjoyed our stay here, but both felt that Maui (and the Westin, where we stayed), had more to offer for the honeymooning couple. The Kauai Sheraton is a fine hotel, it just didn't quite serve our purposes. While I do recommend the hotel, I would probably look elsewhere if I returned to Kauai.

Room Tip: Go for the full ocean view.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Bron-Yr-Aur

Aloha Bron-Yr-Aur,

Mahalo for sharing your experience at Sheraton Kauai Resort. We know you have many choices of accommodations and are honored to be a part of your honeymoon memories. Since your stay, the resort has completed a renovation and you will be pleased to discover a relaxing, romantic feel to the property. We hope you will have the chance to visit us again – it would be our pleasure to serve you.

Reviewed June 10, 2012

Thoroughly enjoyed my stay here. Beach and pool area is lovely. Service is excellent. Cocktails were divine and the food was fabulous! Loved the young guy running around with the Olympic torch at dusk to light the lanterns!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank PeachesShire

Aloha Peaches Shire,

Thank you for your review of your recent stay at Sheraton Kauai Resort. Our team genuinely cares that our guests thoroughly enjoy their stay with us, and we are delighted to hear that you did. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Sheraton Kauai again.

Reviewed June 8, 2012

My wife and I stayed at Sheraton in May '06. We returned in May '12. What a difference a few years made. The best Luau on the island "Surf to Sunset" is no longer offered, the wonderful open air restaurant has been closed in and lost its island feel, the Tiki Torch lighting ceremony is gone, and MaiTai hour outdoors with the live island music is gone. The only thing it has left is it's location and beautiful staff. It feels as though some corporate "smarty" has gotten his hands in the mix. Please, take it back. Please don't make Poipu another Wakiki.

We love Kauai and at one time loved Sheraton.

Mike and Angie Foshee
Southaven, MS

• Stayed: May 2012
8  Thank Mike1098

Aloha Mike 1098,

Mahalo for your feedback, and we appreciate your passion toward our beautiful island and resort. Through much feedback from returning guests like you, it is with great pride to announce the return of our luau as of June 2012, and we sincerely regret you did not have the chance to enjoy this wonderful weekly event. Sheraton Kauai Resort is dedicated to providing a genuine Hawaii experience, whether it be through our cultural activities, innovative Hawaiian-rooted cuisine, our friendly staff or the stunning beauty of our location. We hope we will have the chance to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed June 6, 2012

My husband and I just stayed here for the second time. It has been renovated since we last visited in 2009, now with a beautifully remodeled pool area and new poolside bar and grill called Lava's. There is also a new restaurant, Rum Fire, but we never went there. This hotel is located on a beautiful stretch of beach. One of the best beach locations on the island. The hotel grounds are very well-mantained and beautiful! Walk through and check out the gardens if you are on the beach side.

Some of the deluxe beach view rooms are overlooking the pool and can be a bit more noisy. We had booked a "partial ocean view" and were upgraded to an "ocean view" which was simply the fourth floor of the same building across the street from the ocean side and lobby. We could see the ocean from the lanai and it was fine with us and a good value. The top floor has raised ceilings which is nice because the rooms are on the small side. The bathroom is quite small. The rooms have been re-modeled, though, and are nice. They provide Starbucks coffee in the rooms.

A lot of critiques have been made about the food and prices. What do you expext with resort food? We never ate there. Went to the cafe one morning where you will pay 6 bucks for some pineapple. My advice is to grab breakfast elsewhere. Our favorite is downstairs at Brenneke's Brolier on Poipu beach. Grab some hearty breakfast burritos or sandwiches for under 10 bucks and take them over to eat on the beach. Also may spot a Monk Seal on the beach there. Second tip is to head across the street to Keoki's Paradise for happy hour drinks and good food.

Overall, a great place to stay and a pretty good value if you have reasonable expectations for the type of room that you book.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple