“Good massage, good atmosphere, poor value”
Review of Anara Spa

Anara Spa
Ranked #1 of 3 Spas & Wellness in Poipu
More attraction details
Owner description: The largest spa on Kauai, Anara Spa blends Hawaiian traditions with the enigmatic and soothing powers of nature to create the ultimate in relaxation. The open-air environment maximizes Kauai’s exceptional climate. Relax pool side, enjoy steam sauna and whirlpools before a treatment. Experienced therapists offer massage, body and facial treatments in private rooms or hale (thatched-roof huts) each opening to its own tropical garden. Full service salon features everything for your hair and nail needs. Weekly and monthly passes are available for fitness center and fitness class access. With open-air elegance and new features Anara Spa provides a Hawaiian spa experience like no other.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Good massage, good atmosphere, poor value”
Reviewed February 2, 2014 via mobile

I went here with my wife and brother. The consensus was that we all thought the massages were good, not great. The facilities are really quite nice. However, for almost $1000 for the three of us, I would have expected a next-level amazing massage, which none of us could claim.

While we all enjoyed our visit, I think we will try something else next time.

2 Thank BorkyKevin

San Francisco, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Nothing outstanding whatsoever!”
Reviewed January 22, 2014

I was really looking forward to relaxing at the spa and I desperately needed a facial. I got the 50 min Custom Anara facial. The facility was just ok, locker room area was small especially when crowded. I don't have any major complaints about the facility, it is nothing special though. The fitness center was great, they offer headsets in case you forgot yours. Fitness area is clean, spacious and well equipped with cardio machines and weights. Ok, the facial, my esthetician was friendly but I was surprised she didn't ask me if I have any area of concerns. She also didn't use anything to pull my hair back from my face so my hair was all over my face when she started to wash and exfoliate my face. Eventually she just used the cleanser and massage oil as hair gel to keep my hair back. Not only that, she didn't wipe my face clean with the hot towel, the exfoliating beads were left on my face and hair throughout out the treatment. Th massage was awful, I understand the facial massage is suppose to be relaxing and not deep tissue but it felt more like a gentle rub than a massage. The extraction was also not good, the whole thing lasted less than a minute, I could still see my blackheads all over my face after my facial. Very disappointing! For over $200 (facial plus tax and automatically included18% gratuity) I expected a little more!

Visited January 2014
1 Thank Satellite1115
Chattanooga, Tennessee
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Wonderful spa!”
Reviewed January 20, 2014

We recently spent a week at The Hyatt and my husband booked a facial, massage and hair treatment on my birthday. The spa prices are much higher than nice resorts we've visited and less amenities included. The gym area in spa was nice although the Pilates instructor did not show to teach a class I attended. The pineapple lychee water was so delish and the cold towels were a delight after a steam.The spa services I received made up for a lack of co ed area and spa amenities we've enjoyed elsewhere.
Crystal did a fantastic heavy tissue 60 minute massage and came highly recommended by other guests. Layola gave me the best hydrating facial Ive ever had for my birthday night out! She absolutely went above and beyond and she's a must if you visit the Kauai area.

Visited January 2014
Tucson
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 47 helpful votes
“Incredible Massage, but facilities lacking a bit for the price”
Reviewed December 12, 2013

The massage I received was absolutely fantastic. I got an 80 minute lomi lomi and the masseuse also added hot stones. I was butter by the end of it.

The facilities, however, were not so great. For the price, I expected a gold treatment, all the way around, but that was not my experience. Instead, I found that neither of the hot tubs by the lap pool were working. This prevented my wife and I from hitting the jacuzzi together before and after our treatments. This was a bit disappointing because that was one thing we had actually planned on doing as part of the spa experience.

The other thing that was lacking a bit was the service. By coincidence, I stepped into the mens locker area at nearly the same time as another gentleman. The attendant, I believe, took this as an opportunity to do the "tour" of the facilities as a group, which I found to be horribly awkward. I've been in many spas before, and have never had this happen.

After I changed and went into the waiting area to wait for my treatment, the attendant and another (secondary/backup) attendant were in the waiting area, too. Rather then just chatting quietly and keeping their conversation to a minimum, one guy was going on about what he had for lunch and how it made him nauseous. That really wasn't what I wanted or expected to hear while I was paying to relax.

Additionally, later, when I couldn't find the skin lotion (I later learned it was not at the sink, but on a different countertop elsewhere within the mens room), the primary was nowhere to be found. After a few minutes, I did find the secondary attendant, but he didn't know the answer to my question and also had to wait for the primary attendant to return and show him.

I also recall that there were no hair brushes, only combs. I'm a brush guy, and even though I don't love all the throwaway products that are typically in higher-end spas, for rare times that I do visit them, I expect these types of things to be there, especially when I'm paying top dollar.

One other thing that was a bit of an issue was the location of the spa. It takes a good 5+ minutes of walking from the lobby to get there. This is most likely typically not a problem for most people, but when we went, my wife had left her swimsuit in our car, which was had been valeted. So, hoofing it back-and-forth to and from the lobby, plus a quick trip with a valet out to our car, cost me nearly 15 minutes of precious pre-treatment time.

In the interest of ending this review on a good note, I'd like to point out two really awesome features of the spa. First, much of the spa is indoor/outdoor. So, whether you're in the mens waiting area, or out by the lap pool, you can see the sky, feel the breeze, and maybe even the rain. This greatly adds to the experience. The other great feature was the lava rock shower. This also was sans roof and, on the day I was there, I could see puffy white clouds and patches of blue sky when I looked up while showering. That was way cool.

All in all, even with the hiccups mentioned above, this was a good experience. The massage was just so incredible, and the facilities, for the most part, were top notch. It's hard to think that I wouldn't go back if I were in Kauai again.

Visited November 2013
1 Thank Steve_In_Tucson
seattle, wa
34 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 45 helpful votes
“great day of relaxation”
Reviewed November 24, 2013

Myself and two girlfriends spent an extremely relaxing day here. We got the tropical pedicures and they were great, then you get to use the facilities all day which was delightful! We arrived in the morning and virtually had the place to ourselves. As the day progressed it got busier but it was still very relaxing. We ordered lunch poolside and enjoyed the spas, pool, outdoor showers and steam room. Very worth the money if you can spend the day there!

Visited November 2013