“had one hicup but the staff really did bend over backwards to fix! i would stay here again any day!”

Koa Kea Hotel & Resort
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Poipu
Reviewed August 26, 2009

***here is the back story as to why i had to knock of a star for this hotel.... if you don't care skip to the bottom***

i had booked with this hotel well in advance for an ocean view room and when i got there i loved the room... the only problem was that i had set up for there to be some things done in the room before we arrived...and a few of them were NOT...

i had set up for there to be flower petals and a small arrangement of flowers with a card and a bottle of wine for me and my hunnie for our first night in hawaii.... well at least some of the things had gotten done... the flower petals were in the room and the small arrangement of flowers were there too.... but no card and no wine.... things i had already been charged for.... i let it go trying to not make a huge fuss in front of my hunnie.... but i was less than happy see as i had called and confirmed with the them the night before that all these things would be taken care of upon our arrival.... but oh well...

a few mins later one of the staff knocked on the door with the card that was supposed to be with the flowers.... not much of a suprise at this point.... but still no wine... we went to dinner at the hotels resturant Red Salt (great by the way) and i was able to sneek away and alert the managment of the problem. the man at the front desk was very attentive to the problem and assured me that it would be taken care of...

the next after noon about 1o'clock i got a call in my room from the manager and i asked to meet him in the lobby... he asked me who told me about the bottle of wine that i had requested and then told me that he infact DID NOT anything at all like what i had requested....not what i wanted to hear.... but i did have a great wine at dinner and asked if i could get that instead.. (as i had already been charged) he assured me that everything would be taken care off and that the wine would be in my room that night when we got back from our activites.....

when we got back to the room there was the wine that i had waited so long to see! by this time tho the romantic feel that i was going for had kinda worn off and it was almost to late to get back the magic that i was going for on day one.... oh well

***if you skipped down to the bottom stop here***

all and all the staff did everything they could to fix the mistake and the people were just so friendly i couldn't help but let it go! the rooms are great! right on the ocean! they have a beautiful pool area! the spa is wonderful! if you get sunburned do the sun kissed facial and or the sun kissed wrap! both are great! i saw a turtle at the hotels beach! so cool! and really really if the hotel makes any mistake they really do bend over backwards to fix it!! you wont leave unhappy! i know because i lived it!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank mama1213

Reviewed August 25, 2009

Koa Kea is a great hotel and I truly enjoyed my stay here. I asked for a quiet room, and my room was very quiet (except that the feral roosters woke me up one morning, but the hotel can't do anything about that). The whole place is very elegant, classy, clean, and well decorated. It's not at all touristy. The pool/courtyard/bar area is very pretty and relaxing. The rooms are comfortable and the beds are very soft (but might be too soft for some people). And the free internet is a nice perk.

The staff is very friendly and very helpful, as others have noted. However, I felt they often went overboard, to the point of being annoying. For example, when I checked in I had been traveling for two days and just wanted to take a shower and a nap. But the front desk clerk who checked me in insisted on taking me on a tour of the hotel, introducing me to various staff members, and arranging a boat tour for me. Honestly, it was too much. He should have listened to me when I told him I just wanted to go to my room. Also, I wish they would get rid of the valet-only parking and let me park the car myself. I'm sure some people love being doted on and having everything done for them, but not me.

Another point about the staff is that, although they were very nice, they often weren't able to answer basic questions about the island. For example, I asked the valet how long it would take to drive to Hanalei, and he didn't know so he guessed, but was way off. Also, I asked the front desk clerk where to buy Hawaiian-made souvenirs, and she suggested Walmart and Kmart. Not what I had in mind! (All their souvenirs are made in China.)

Finally, I read such great things about the restaurant, so I ate breakfast there the first morning. It was disappointing. The eggs benedict had a nice flavor, but the $28 price tag was supposed to include a buffet. The buffet was weak -- some measly, sad pieces of fruit that looked like they were left over drink garnishes from the night before; mass-produced pastry; little boxes of cereal; yogurt from the grocery store; and kool-aid-like "juice." For $28, I expect a nice selection of fruit, especially in Hawaii(!), and real juice. Honestly, I've seen better buffets at Days Inn. Also, the waitress was not good. She left a pot of coffee so she wouldn't have to come back...and didn't come back, not even to clear my plates, which kept stacking up. My experience at the restaurant was so bad that I didn't go back. Instead, I ate at Kalaheo Coffee, which was one of the few good recommendations from the front desk clerk.

All that said, it is still a very nice hotel and way better than the nearby touristy resorts.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank renotrvlr
Reviewed August 18, 2009

Wow! We just finished 4 nights at the Koa Kea, two adults and two young kids (11.9). Everything was great, particularly the staff. It's great to see the same folks everyday, Jamie, Paul, Jim, Dean, Robb, Paris, Alan , Greg and on and on. The property sits right on the beach with great views, a bunch of grass (including in the parking lot) and is like a sanctuary amongst much bigger and busier properties nearby.
The rooms are great, especially the beds, and we were provided with adjoining rooms. The expresso coffeemaker, the complimentary iced water bottles each night, wonderful robes and good sized balconies were great features.
Oh yes, the pool was perfect size, not too big and not too small. The hot tub was even better, a great size and elevated so you could see the waves breaking. The pool bar was also great with excellent pool food, drinks and three HD TVs which let us watch the PGA golf tournement while downing mai tai"s!
The Red Salt restaurant was a hit with everyone, which with young kids is not easy to accomplish. Breakfast fantastic, especially the pancakes and omletttes. Dinner was also excellent, primarily wonderful seafood though the steak was perfect as well. The wine list was FUN and Paul picked us out a couple bottles of a wonder 2003 syrah from Paso Robles, fantastic, So often wine lists are full of high priced "names", the Koa Kea's list was very reasonable and thoughtfully created, somwthing for everyone.
A special thanks to Paul for taking us into the wine room and the kitchen!!

Sad to be leaving today but looking forward to making next years reservation on the way out. Oh yes, they also gave us a late checkout of 6pm so we get a full last day of relaxation. Thanks for a great vacation!!!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed August 16, 2009

My wife and I stayed at the Koa Kea for 9 unbelievable days around our 10th anniversary. It is difficult to capture how great this hotel is in a review. It is: simple, stunning, peaceful, familiar, relaxing, and really, really fun. We stayed in an amazing ocean front room and each morning we woke up we enjoyed coffee while we watching the surfers just outside our window.

While the room and property are remarkable - the thing that really makes this place stand out is the customer service. Within a few days of arrival I would say most of the staff called us by name. It is astonishing how the entire staff at the Koa Kea really seem to take ownership in their resort. The resort manager, Chris, went out of his way to make us feel at home. The Red Salt restaurant (managed by Paul) was fantastic. We had the best meals of our trip at the Red Salt.

After visiting a number of the other resorts around the island - my wife and I were always very happy to return "home" to the Koa Kea. For a romantic vacation for adults, this resort is hard to beat in Hawaii or anywhere else in the US. We are looking forward to someday returning to the Koa Kea.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 14, 2009

If you want a hotel resort that is not your typical slick resort with its concrete facade, then you'll love the Koa Kea: a warm rustic in appearance (only in appearance) row of low-rise buildings surrounded by lush green vegetation. and off in the distance a bright blue expanse of the Pacific Ocean unimpeded by the usual assortment of cement structures. All very reminiscent of the old Hawaii before the coming of the big jets; and this I know as a long-time resident of Hawaii,

From the first greeting of the smiling valet to John, at the Front Desk and Rob, the Assistant Manager -- both so sincerely pleased to welcome me to Koa Kea -- I knew I was in for a very pleasant retreat. I wasn't disappointed. Dinner was exceptional with Chef Ronnie's creations and F&B Manager Paul's impressive wine list. Of course the Spa: a stay at any resort is incomplete without, at the least a scrub and massage.

Koa Kea is a rarity these days because it is truly made up of people who share the aloha spirit and their love for such a beautiful spot with visitors and kamaainas alike. I hope they never lose this extremely special quality which makes Koa Kea what it is!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed August 10, 2009

I just returned from a four night stay at the Koa Kea, Aug 5-9, 2009. I can't say enough good things about it- would highly recommend it to all! The rooms are just as lavish as the lobby & grounds. The staff bends over backwards to accomodate the needs of guests. The lava rock hot tub, pool, & beautifully landscaped/lighted outdoor area lead to the ocean. You can see monk seals & beautiful tropical fish just off the beach! I liked the smaller size of this hotel, the fact all the rooms were new & decorated in a modern yet elegant fashion, the proximity to everything,...wonderful place for a romantic interlude or a family gathering! We enjoyed complimentary iced Fiji water each night at turn down, great cappucinos in the morning, huge flat screen TV's, a private garden outside our door, ...

I was there with my grandparents & parents for a family wedding. The staff assisted my elderly grandparents by providing special shower mats (on the gorgeous white marble floors), parking close to the rooms, adjacent rooms, & warm/friendly service. This is one of the nicest placest I've ever stayed, yet has the warm hospitality of Hawaii. Definitely choose it over its competition!!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank Legalese75
Reviewed August 2, 2009

My husband and I accidentally stumbled across this hotel in our search for accomodation in Kaua'i. We took up one of their great opening offers on their website, and are so glad we did!

Every aspect of this hotel was wonderful, with great attention-to-detail. All of the staff were extremely obliging and friendly, and we never had any complaints! The rooms are very modern, with an Ipod docking station and Nescafe espresso maker in each. The bathrooms are large with L'Occitane toiletries provided. We were staying in the Garden View room and thought we would be missing out by not having an Ocean-front room, but were perfectly happy with everything in our room (of course an Ocean view would be even nicer if you can afford the price difference!).

As other guests have mentioned, the hotel is a nice, quiet oasis from the larger hotel chains around Poipu beach. While Koa Kea isn't really suitable for families with young children, it's the perfect getaway for couples. Our first night we ate at the hotel restaurant, and were very impressed with the food! We can definitely recommend the Mahi and the Ahi dishes - both were delicious. During the rest of our stay, we tried some other restaurants, including the famed Tide Pools Restaurant at the Grand Hyatt down the road... but nothing could compare!

There isn't anything I can criticise about this hotel - everything that they do and provide, they do it to the best degree. We had a great holiday and will definitely choose Koa Kea again for a future visit to Kaua'i :)

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank onesixeleven
Also consider these accommodations in or near Poipu
Koloa
Marriott's Waiohai Beach Club
Kauai Beach Resort
#4 of 11 in Lihue
Koloa
Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort & Spa

Been to Koa Kea Hotel & Resort? Share your experiences!