“Lovely hotel - but +++++ expensive!”

Koa Kea Hotel & Resort
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Poipu
Langley, BC
“Lovely hotel - but +++++ expensive!”
Reviewed March 19, 2014

Just enjoyed 8 days at this very classy "boutique hotel". The rooms are spacious with the most comfortable beds that have down bedding. The rainforest showers in the bathroom are a treat. Robes are provided and a coffee maker with pods produced very nice cappuccino although only the first 6 pods were complimentary. We had a view of the ocean and pool area. The hot tub was very welcome. Pool is small but the resort was not busy the week we were there. There were few children. It is not a resort for kids. The restaurant is extremely expensive and not quite up to what it's aiming for. The food was very good but I would expect something sensational for the price tag! The staff was extremely friendly and efficient. The valet staff is particularly good. There are coin-operated facilities on the premises which save you washing out your undies in the shower. There is a small strip of sandy beach directly in from of the hotel. This hotel is nestled between several of the bigger chain hotels. We really loved Kau'ai but we won't return to this particular hotel due to the cost. $389/night PLUS tax PLUS resort fee PLUS valet parking!

Room Tip: You can get a room right on the beach. The pool/ocean view rooms on the second floor are also great.
4 Thank ladydocBC

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (684)
  • Korean first
toms river, new jersey
Reviewed March 19, 2014

My wife and I arrived on Sunday March 9th, 2014. We booked this hotel for 7 nights because we wanted a small intimate hotel on the beach that is known for their service, because we were celebrating our 40th wedding anniversary. Upon check in Phil who checked us in actually gave us a brief tour of the resort and escorted us to our room. We arrived around 4:00pm, our room was ready and there was a bottle of Champaign chilling on the table with a nice little note from Chris congratulating us on our anniversary. Oliver came up within 5 minutes with our luggage. Our room was on the 3rd floor ocean view with a view directly down the beach and a perfect view of the sunset. We booked through I Prefer and took advantage of the free breakfast for two and $75 daily food and credit allowance. The only way to go. Another thing I was impressed with is that every person no matter what there job was, was able to answer any questions about anything. Appeared as though they were all qualified in all areas. Let me say neither of us were disappointed. This is what I consider a small hotel set between two large resorts of the Marriott and the Sheridan. I walked past both of these and both were packed with wall to wall people with really no available chairs to be found. The Koa Kea was quite, plenty of available chairs and very quite. If you want large crowds, lots of kids and noise then look elsewhere not here. We did meet quite a few couples on their honeymoon all of which spoke highly of the Koa. The beach directly in front is a small crescent beach where you could go up to you chest before you feel any rocks. There were quite a few people snorkeling and taking surfing lessons here because the waives broke way out. There really were no waives here almost like a lake. We're from New Jersey just a few miles from the ocean in ocean county and the waives and currents here are rough. If you want larger beaches its a 5 minute walk to the right to the Sheraton. a 2 minute walk to the left to the Marriott and about 5 minutes to the left to Poipu state park and another 5 minutes to shipwreck beach. Keep in mind the waives a little larger here. Since we were here for the week we decided to rent 2 chairs and an umbrella for the week because my wife and I planned on spending time on the beach. Well worth it. Rick took excellent care of us in this area. Breakfast was good and the servers were top notch. Good selection. Had something different each day. The Red Salt is kind of pricey for dinner, however the food is great. We had Brian as a server one night and in my opinion probably the most professional server we ever had.
Had room service for dinner one night because we were too exhausted to go to the Red Salt. The server came in and placed a tablecloth on the table on the balcony and actually set all of the silverware and food up as if we were in the restaurant. Very impressive. The pool bar was another great feature. You could sit at the bar under a hut or at a table and have table service. Could order any type of drink and the food selection was pretty good. The hamburger I thought was the best along with the lime coconut mojito. The pool was relaxing. Went from 3' to 5'. Never crowded and for us big enough to swim laps or just relax. The Jacuzzi was also not crowded. Not your typical round jacuzi. It was free forming and looked like it was made of Lava. At times brought our drinks here just to unwind. The valet parking was also great. When you wanted your car simply go to the valet parking pick up and drop off area and your car would be there in less then 2 minutes. Did not have to call ahead or wait as in larger hotels. After a while they knew us by name. We became very friendly with Oliver and Kai. There were two cleaning services daily. Once in the morning and again around 6:30pm as a turn down service. This was a nice little touch. Came back to our room a light was on as well as the radio. This resort will do anything you ask them to. I called back in October because I wanted to surprise my wife with a massage as a stocking stuffer for Christmas. I spoke to Cindy and she suggested the Lomi Lomi massage for my wife and within a few days I had a gift card for the massage. I was able to track Cindy down when we arrived and soon as I told here my last name and what she did she immediately smiled and knew who I was and was glad to meet us. This is what I meant that everyone here is super friendly and will go out of there way to make your stay an enjoyable one. Another great idea is that even though check out is noon (which is normally 10:00am at other hotels) we were able to use what they call a guest lounge for an hour after we checked out because out flight was not scheduled to leave until 8:30pm. This enabled us to spend more time at the beach and pool, then shower before we had to leave.
Let me end on one note: If you want a small intimate hotel where customer service is #1, no crowds and where you are recognized as a guest and friend and not just a number then this is the place. We do plan on booking here in the future
Pete

Room Tip: Either 2nd or 3rd floor ocean view with a view of the sunset.
9 Thank peter194940
Ohio
Reviewed March 17, 2014

This is one of the best places I have stayed at overall world-wide.
The location is perfect, the hotel is beautiful, the staff is friendly and helpful, the rooms are gorgeous and food is amazing!

Pros:
-Rooms are very spacious and clean with luxury furnishings
-Beds are extremely comfortable
-Nightly turn down service
-In-room Nespresso coffee makers
-Great pool and hot tub
-Amazing breakfast buffet (includes prosciutto and gourmet cheeses)
-Excellent wait staff in Lounge
-Amazing (best I've had) sushi on Friday/Saturday night in Red Salt Lounge
-Great location on Poipu Beach
-Awesome bathroom shower and bathroom toiletries
-Valet parking
-Beautiful lobby furnishings and floral arrangements

Cons:
-Restrictive pool and spa hours (9am to 10pm only)
-Restrictive pool bar hours (11am to 9pm)
-Only six coffee Nespresso cups per room reservation (whether staying one night or one week)
-Only two bottles of complimentary water per room reservation (whether staying one night or one week)

Overall highly recommended boutique hotel. Cannot wait to go back.

Room Tip: -Order Mai Tais at the Lounge and not the pool bar. They are much better at the lounge
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
6 Thank traveller187B
Alaska
Reviewed March 16, 2014

Visited Kauai in November 2013. Spent the first four nights in Poipu at Koa Kea and the remaining 10 nights in Princeville (Westin Villas). I would have been happy to spend my entire two week vacation here at Koa Kea.

Upon arrival, drove up to the valet. It was pretty late when we arrived, almost midnight. They provide you the friendliest of greetings, ask your name, and tell you they will unload your car and your things will be delivered to your room. When you arrive at the front desk, the desk staff greets you by name. Had a quick checkin and was surprised that you get personally walked to your room by the front desk staff! You are required to use your room key to get into your building as well as into your room, felt very safe. The person who escorts you to your room will give you a little run down on your room, shows you the Nespresso machine, how to operate the A/C, explains if you open your lanai door the A/C turns off, asks if you have any questions, and then leaves your to begin your wonderful vacation. Our bags had already arrived in room in the few short minutes we spent checking in at the front desk.

We had an ocean view room and had a fantastic "partial" ocean view, it was great. What a relaxing feeling to open your lanai door in the morning to enjoy the ocean air. On the lanai there is a partial wall separating you from your neighbors, if they are outside too you can see each other, so it's not completely private, but if the separating walls were built differently it seems it would obstruct the ocean view. The lanai has a table and cushioned chairs to relax on. The room was immaculate, nice size, tropical furnishings and decor, and the bathroom was amazing. Waffle robes, Loccitane toiletries, daily newspaper delivery, twice daily housekeeping. There is a fridge so you can keep your beverages, leftovers or anything you need cold. Shower with two shower heads, one in the wall, and on overhead as a rain shower. They had the biggest, fluffiest towels I have ever seen in a hotel, and I travel extensively.

The room is serviced twice daily, we were never in the room during servicing time so I don't know what time they were there, but the daytime service is a cleaning, the evening service is a turndown, they provide extra towels/toiletries, leave bottled water on ice, and turns on your radio at a quiet volume.

The pool/hot tub area is also spotless, no shortage of loungers, and they are not packed in close to each other, so plenty of space for everyone. There is also a grassy front just before the beach with loungers, they are set up as pairs and each pair has a table for your drinks, beach bag, etc. There is a bar that opens around 11 am and stays open til about 5 or so, you can get drinks and bar food there. The bartenders are professional, friendly and efficient. You can bring alcohol to the pool, the grassy area, but not the beach. The beach area is literally steps from the hotel, just across a little boardwalk, and again, plenty of room for everyone. You can walk the beach in both directions for what seems to be miles, encountering other resorts along the way.

Dined at Red Salt for dinner one night and enjoyed it, the food was fabulous and the service was equally wonderful. Seriously the best carbonara I have ever had. My husband had a seafood dish that he immensely enjoyed as well. It's not inexpensive, but I am happy to spend money for quality and an enjoyable experience, and that is exactly what we got. Also had breakfast here one or two mornings and pre-dinner drinks another evening. Each staff member we met there was professional, courteous and top-notch, making recommendations upon asking and providing tips on things to do in the area.

Noticed the majority of other travelers were couples, I saw no children during my stay except for a few couples with infants, very well behaved infants I must add. This is not a party resort, and my husband and I really enjoyed the relaxing atmosphere. On a personal note, we are a couple in our 30's with no children and enjoy peace and quiet, and this is the place to get that.

We enjoyed every second of our stay here. There is a shopping center across the street and down the road a little ways within walking distance if you want to get a little exercise and grab a starbucks. There is also a little general store there where you can buy necessities like sunscreen, beer/wine, sundries, etc. We also dined at Roy's one evening and that place was fantastic.

The day we were checking out I stopped by the gift shop to purchase a few things. Checked out with the concierge and let her know we were checking out. She asked what time I would like to have our luggage picked up and brought to our car, so I made the arrangements with her right there. Spent our few last hours at the fabulous Koa Kea relaxing by the pool, back to the room to freshen up, and the luggage staff was at our room to pick up our bags right on time.

I did not have time to use the spa services, but will definitely do so on my next visit.

I would also like to mention that every valet staff member we can in contact with was spectacular, friendly, efficient, and really seemed eager to please, but not in a fake way. In a truly genuine way. Never waited more than a minute (if that) to get our car brought up front.

If you are a couple and value quiet and privacy, stay here, you will not be disappointed.

I already have my vacation planned for this year and will be returning to Koa Kea and I cannot wait. Aloha!

Room Tip: Ocean view or ocean front.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank svskaloha
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed March 16, 2014

My wife and I just came back from an incredible 5 night stay at the Koa Kea, and we only have positives to share. I travel a lot for work and stay at lovely hotels, but this is by far the best place I have ever stayed. The absolute best part was the staff - everyone was so friendly and welcoming and did everything they could to make our stay as relaxing and lush as possible. The location is perfect - with the beach right in front of the hotel. The fact that there are only about 120 rooms means that you don't get the overcrowded feel of many resorts. Our room was beautiful - large, and with really lovely but not over-the-top decor. We had several amazing dinners at Red Salt and the lounge - some of the most delicious sushi ever. Jim at the bar is fantastic. Breakfast was wonderful. There is nothing we would change (except to stay longer next time!). It was out first trip to Kauai for a belated honeymoon, and we will definitely be coming back - and could not imagine staying anywhere except the Koa Kea!

Room Tip: We decided to splurge for an ocean view room which was lovely - but the partial ocean view rooms als...
1 Thank CT_RVA
Missouri
Reviewed March 15, 2014

Spent two nights at the Koa Kea during a nine day trip to Kauai. Very quiet beach hotel, NOT a party palace. Did not see any children during our stay. Location on the south side of island is excellent. Room/grounds/hotel all with a modern feel...not your typical beach type floral patterns. Service was exception.
Close to Poipu Beach, nice shopping/dining area, other restaurants.
Only down sides from our point of view were minimal ability to actually lay on the beach (most chairs are on a very nice lawn area), no options except to valet park (bit of a hassle), and restaurant (Red Salt) didn't really have very many selections. Overall a great place to spend a few days.

Room Tip: Very few ocean front rooms. Ocean view are fine except you will not have privacy on your balconies.
Clapham, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 14, 2014

A loverly place to stay excellent location . Very nice swimming pool,. Red salt Resturant okay , slow service let it down .meal took a long time to come then was cold. Breakfast however very good . Staff very friendly and helpful .

Room Tip: Not sure , side sea room I think are the best !
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Poipu
Koloa
Marriott's Waiohai Beach Club
Kauai Beach Resort
#4 of 11 in Lihue
Koloa
Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort & Spa

Been to Koa Kea Hotel & Resort? Share your experiences!