Koa Kea Hotel & Resort
$399
Sheraton.com
  • Pool
$199
Garden Island Inn Hotel(Lihue)
$185
$386
$309
  • Pool
No availability for your dates from our partners
No availability for your dates from our partners
2,313 results
All reviewsred saltsmall hotelour honeymoonnespresso machinepool barocean frontcontinental buffetpoipu beachsushi chefbreakfast packagemega resortsvalet guysturn down servicemacadamia nutsrain showerpartial ocean viewlawn area
Reviewed November 16, 2013

I celebrate (hid from?) my 40th birthday at Koa Kea. While making our reservation by phone, I confessed this tidbit to the reservation agent (.... whose name is escaping me... thanks 40.. which is unfortunate because he was just so very friendly, funny, and engaging). From the start, 6000 miles away, our experience was wonderful.

Upon check in, the welcoming employees upgraded us to an ocean front room. What a beautiful surprise! As if that were not enough, a few minutes after my husband and I settled in, a knock on the door announced a complimentary bottle of champagne, and a most unexpected birthday card. After 5 days in the hustle and bustle of Honolulu and Waikiki, Koa Kea offered us the peace and beauty of Kauai, together with the true aloha spirit.

The room was clean, comfortable, and relaxing -- everything we needed! We were close to the beach. There were no children (that we saw) at the resort, making it particularly relaxing and quiet. We had one meal (breakfast) at the Red Salt, which was lovely. All of the service was amazing, the valet employees and concierge were helpful without being the least bit pushy, and my husband and I enjoyed our stay more than I can express in this review. We will certainly be back!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank JandJ468
Reviewed November 14, 2013

Koa Kea is a botique-type hotel and is currently the newest/most-recently renovated hotel on the island.

This is the best place we've ever stayed. Ever.

To me, it's all the little things that make Koa Kea head and shoulders above any other place we've stayed and has put them on many of "Best hotels in the US" and "Best hotels in World" lists (check out their awards page!!!)

It's things like:
- Turn-down service
- The WSJ and local paper hanging from the door every morning
- $50 food credit every day
- Unbelievably delicious breakfast included every day (including room service!)
- The staff called us by name starting the very first day! And have offered many excellent recommendations of places to go and places to eat on the island.
- Bath robes.
- In-room Nescafe espresso maker.
- As it was our honeymoon, we had a free upgrade as well as a beautiful bouquet of flowers and bottle of champagne delivered to our room!
- Marble bathrooms with dual shower heads, separate toilet room, and large soaking tub complete with designer-brand toiletries, bath salts, flat screen tv mounted in the bathroom...
- The best food on the island is at Red Salt, the in-house restaurant.

The list really goes on and on, but those are some of the highlights.

We had an oceanfront king room, which was certainly not cheap, but holy crap - watching the sun set over the ocean from your bed every day --- it just doesn't get old. Falling asleep/waking up to the sound of crashing waves is just.... the feeling is almost indescribable.

Now, not everywhere is perfect, we did have one minor quibble: the AC is a little loud and if you set it below 68 it causes the unit to fault (we figured this out after three staff trips to our room).

Some final notes to help make up your mind: this is essentially an "adults-only" resort. No kids. It is sooooo relaxing, soooo quiet. Sure the Hyatt is "grand", but honestly, Kauai is a quiet relaxing island, shouldn't you treat yourself to a matching accommodation? Koa Kea BY FAR is by far the best decision we made the entire trip. This place is just unbelievable.

But don't just take my word for it, take the word of many world-renowned publications:

ps: We are not employees or at all affiliated with the place. We just want you to have as an amazing time as we did when you come to Kauai.

Room Tip: Oceanfront is prime, but based on the U-shaped layout, many of the garden-facing rooms will still have views, methinks. Just ask them, they are super super helpful and courteous.
1  Thank Karl R
Reviewed November 14, 2013

This was our second visit to the Koa Kea and I have to say that we're already thinking about when we might go again. We've been to all the Hawaiian islands and this resort is our favorite place to just hunker down, relax and get away from it all. It truly is an oasis from the real world.

As others have mentioned, all of the staff are incredible and really are the star attraction at this property. If I could give six stars for service, I would. They all go the extra mile to make you feel welcome and taken care of. The valets greet you by name and are always ready with directions, towels for your excursions, and advice on what you should go see and do. The wait staff are all extremely competent and friendly. The in house restaurant, Red Salt, is the best place to eat on the island for dinner and they do a very nice breakfast as well. Make sure you stop by the bar and have a drink with Jim, Michael and Yoshi.

The rooms themselves are nice, but they're a relatively standard hotel room. Clean and well appointed, but not anything that's going to make you gasp in amazement when you walk in the door. The bathrooms and showers are large and the beds are fantastic (in my opinion anyway - my husband thought it was too soft). As others have mentioned, the lanais don't have much privacy, but I'm not sure what else I would have done out there even if they had been more secluded (perhaps I'm exposing my lack of imagination). I just want a place where I can sit outside and have a drink while reading the paper or watching the ocean and they're certainly adequate for that. On our first trip, we splurged on an Ocean Front room and this trip we got an Ocean View. Frankly, I preferred the Ocean View and we'll be requesting the same room the next time we visit.

The grounds, pool and hot-tub area are clean and very well maintained. I never had a problem getting a lounge chair when I wanted one. The pool bar staff are friendly and circulate regularly to make sure you have what you need. Lunch is probably the weakest meal of the day on property just because they don't have a ton of options, but what they do have is tasty. The beach right in front of the hotel is small, but there are larger ones just a few yards away on either side of the Koa Kea. The hotel's location on the south side of the island is convenient to sightseeing (Waimea Canyon, Spouting Horn, etc.), the airport (30 minutes) and other restaurants.

This really is the perfect quiet little resort for couples. There's not much on site for kiddos though, so I would probably look elsewhere if traveling with children. I love this place and can't wait to get back.

Reviewed November 13, 2013

It is so refreshing to visit a resort in which the staff enjoy going the extra mile to ensure your memorable stay. The rooms are top notch as well as the comfy bed. The grounds are well groomed and clean and the staff pays special attention to their guests whether they are relaxing on a comfortable lawn chair or taking off for an excursion. They are always one step ahead of you. The Red Salt has absolutely the best fresh seafood selections on the island, and make room for dessert! If you wish to be pampered, relax, have fun, and get a luxurious night sleep, this is the place to be.

Room Tip: South end units have great views and are extremely private.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank JCandCompany
Reviewed November 13, 2013

We decided to choose this hotel mainly because of the good reviews on TA. We were not disappointed at all! This is a little marvel, a small hotel hidden in between larger resorts. However, it offers everything you need for relaxation and activities. Clean and tidy, beautiful pool area and a nice beach situated in front of the hotel. The rooms are nicely furnished and bathroom with a spacious shower. Good snorkeling just 1 minute from our hotel room! Attentive and helpful staff, we would like to thank Pam in particular, she did a thorough job researching the alternatives for our helicopter excursion! The only negative thing for us was that we found the mattress to be too soft. We would highly recommend this hotel, and wish to come back.