“Great small hotel + spa” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Koa Kea Hotel & Resort

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Koa Kea Hotel & Resort
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Poipu
Santa Cruz, California
“Great small hotel + spa”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2013

My girlfriend and I spent 5 nights here. We really enjoyed the small size and exceptionally friendly staff. The breakfast buffet was great: lots of fresh fruit and the one hot breakfast item included with the room was excellent. We also ate at Red Salt a few evenings for dinner. Out of the six dinners (2 people, 3 nights), 5 were excellent and one was pretty good (the steak with 3 sauces was the disappointment).

To address one of the negative reviews, it is an old hotel that was just re-opened 4 years ago. It is laid out as a "U" with the open end towards the ocean. We had an ocean view room which was in the bottom of the U, so we looked over the pool area to the sea. We slept with the window open and the ceiling fan on for natural airflow and did not use the a/c at night, only some times during the day. We found the room very nice, the view good, and the hotel very quiet at night.

There were some families with children, but it was mostly couples.

I enjoyed the small size, the staff that knows you by name, and the mellow environment. It's not a mega-resort.

3 Thank MarcSantaCruz

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (652)
  • Korean first
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2013

This is the place to go if you there are 2 of you, you want a quiet time away from kids and you want to be close to a pool and the ocean. Friendly staff who go beyond what you usually get. I note some other reviewers are disappointed in lack of massive resort glitz - you just chose the wrong place and the Grand Hyatt is your choice. The Red Salt restaurant is equal of whatever else you find in a matching price range in Poipu.

Room Tip: Pay extra for ocean view - worth it.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Clive S
Port Stephens, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2013

Koa Kea was pretty good. Very good staff, maybe the best staff we came across on our Hawaiian holiday.
Overall it was not quite as good as I expected, room a bit small restaurant very good one night, not so good another night.
We found a good restaurant close by though it was Merrimans.
The access to the beach in front is limited but we went next door for a swim and there was access further up also
Overall it was good but a bit pricey for what you get, perhaps there is only Grand Hyatt for competition so they get the price ?

Room Tip: don't pay too much for ocean view most rooms see the ocean a little at least and the rooms are...
1 Thank john a
Villa Park, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2013

If you are looking for a quiet and restful hotel on Kauai, this is the place. Yes, it is a big pricey but, in my opinion, worth it. First of all, don't expect to be entertained; don't expect a luau; don't expect big families with lots of kids running around the pool; and don't expect the other guests keeping you awake at night. This is not a place for kid or teenagers- they will be bored..This is also not a hotel for everyone. The Koa Kea is very laid back. The service is excellent and friendly and everyone is pleased to chat with you and to give you inside hints on Kauai. Within a very short period of time, everyone knows your name. The check-in is smooth and friendly.The bar area is really classy and do go there every night for a nightcap.The bartenders, Jim and Michael, provide great service and are very personable. The Sushi Chef at the bar, Justin, is very creative with his presentations. The cocktails at the bar are a bit pricey but they do a big pour. They serve a beer called "White Ale," which is excellent. The bar food is fabulous and reasonably priced for the high quality. In fact, I ate most of my meals at the bar.The Kobe burger and Mahi sandwich are the best in Hawaii and I have tried them all.About $20. I recommend for breakfast not going with the buffet but rather ordering off the menu some of their more creative pancakes and waffles and breakfast meats. The breakfast burrito they serve, in my opinion, is just so-so. But again the service is great, as is the coffee and complimentary muffins. Again, the pool is very quiet, as is the Jacuzzi.. I feel that the Koa Kea appeals to a more refined and older traveler. Everybody I spoke to was very happy they were there and not on the other mega-resorts on the island. In contrast to the one of the other reviews I read, I felt the Grand Hyattand Sheraton were way too large, too noisy and impersonal. In fact, one night I went to visit the Grand Hyatt. They were actually having a disco party on the laws with music so loud that you could hear it a mile away. The guests I spoke to said they couldn't even sleep.So if you like disco and to be around a mass of drunken people the Grand Hyatt is the hotel for you.. I liked the rooms. They had very high-quality bedding, flat screen TV's, good air-conditioning and beautiful bathrooms and toiletries. Yes, they aren't that large but they are very high-quality. Try to book a room with a partial ocean view as close to the ocean as possible inasmuch as some of the rooms in the back do face adjoining properties. The hotel faces a part of Poipu Beach, which the tourists don't frequent, which, in my opinion, is a real plus. The sound of the wind through the palm trees and the surf lulled me to sleep. I also really appreciated the cool expresso machines in each room and refrigerator, where I was able to store drinks and fruit. I will definitely stay at the Koa Kea again. One last thing--parking is strictly valet, which is very convenient. Before you leave your room, call the valet and, by the time you get to the entrance, your car will be waiting for you. The valets even cleaned my windshield. Tip the guys a dollar or two when you pick up your car.Roys and a variety of family restaurants as well as a small grocery store are within walking distance.Also go to the Koloa Fish Market in Koloa Town , buy a fish plate or some sushi and bring it back to the Koa Kea and have lunch by the pool. A great value; or go to the Savage Shrimp and bring back a shrimp plate to eat by the pool. $10 to $12 for both. It doesn't get any better. If you are staying more than a few days you might want to stay at the Koa Kea and then move to the ST.Regis on the North Shore to enjoy their beach. Aloha!

8 Thank Richard O
Sydney
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2013

After reading favorable reviews of the Koa Kea our hopes were high. Our disappointment was crushing and difficult to conceal from the very nice staff. Clearly someone has found an old 1960s motel in a lovely (and it is lovely) spot and decided to convert into a hotel and resort. They have consulted a list of all of the things a hotel and resort needs (spa? - check, gym? - check, occitane toiletries in nice bathrooms? - check, Nespresso machines and flat screen TVs? - check, etc).
The problem is you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear and the property's humble origins are apparent: the low ceilings of the rooms, the arrangement of the three storied buildings around the pool (just like the low rent apartment blocks and motels you see in American movies) and the fact that most rooms look straight at one another or directly into adjacent properties. Oh, and the aluminum ranch sliders.
The photo you see on Tripadvisor and elsewhere just manages to cut out the buildings of rooms overlooking the pool.
So we arrived and were shown our partial ocean view room (if you stood on the balcony you could glimpse the ocean - we got a good view of the next door property) - which was dark, small and dingy. We immediately asked for another room and we were offered the full ocean view suite which is nice but now we are paying full five star hotel and resort rates. Sleep is challenging because of a rattly air conditioner that I suspect dates back to before the renovation. And a mini bar would be nice. At least kind of happy with our room (but not really) we decided to have lunch by the pool. This was a very bad move. My salad contained leaves that clearly had not been part of a lettuce for at least a couple of days and the dressing arrived in a nasty little plastic container. Really.
Well I thought it was time for the gym and the spa. Both were converted rooms that overlooked the car park (so even these guys couldn't actually use them for accommodation). Neither exuded any feeling of quality but I suppose I am spoiled (but then again we are now paying top dollar).
So our next move was to jump in the car and shoot down to the Grand Hyatt to check it out and the difference was stark. There is something about a feeling and a vibe that the Koa Kea lacks despite the genuine best efforts of the lovely staff.
The restaurant (Red Salt) is nice but has a slightly clinical feel and the breakfast Buffett is not worth writing home about.
The Koa Kea hotel and resort is not a resort as I understand the term nor it is a boutique Hotel - boutique implies something funky or charming as well as small and this place is neither.
The Koa Kea is a nice threeish star hotel in a lovely spot but nothing more than that (and despite the fact I am now paying five star money for it).
Oh and it so obviously used to be a motel.
Anyhow we are off to the Grand Hyatt Kauaii tomorrow. The review will follow shortly.

Room Tip: Stay at the Grand Hyatt
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
28 Thank Robert B
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2013 via mobile

We recently stayed at Koa Kea for 5 days on the first leg of our honeymoon. The staff has been excellent, the food outstanding, and the grounds meticulously maintained. We highly recommend getting a breakfast package as the offerings are hard to resist. The only detractor was the room cleaning service was done fairly late in the day and wasn't particularly thorough. We would definitely stay here in the future.

1 Thank deacon78
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2013 via mobile

I should start by saying my husband and I are spa freaks... massages especially. We have them just about everywhere we travel so we know a good one from a bad one. The spa at Koa Kai is amazing! We had our massages in the spa in their couples room. Like the rest of the hotel, it was beautiful, clean and quiet. I had the Lomi Lomi massage and my husband did the deep tissue. Each of our techs were professional, friendly and very qualified. The experience had us convinced we'd go back there next summer when we return to Kauai. After hearing bad reviews of the Sheraton spa from other family members and not wanting to pay the Hyatt's spa prices we were very glad Koa Kai met our needs. This little hotel has lots of "right things" going for it.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank Vheckler
Also consider these accommodations in or near Poipu
Koloa
Marriott's Waiohai Beach Club
Kauai Beach Resort
#4 of 11 in Lihue
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,203 reviews
Koloa
Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort & Spa

Been to Koa Kea Hotel & Resort? Share your experiences!