“25th Wedding Anniversary Just Lovely!”

Koa Kea Hotel & Resort
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Poipu
Cupertino, California
“25th Wedding Anniversary Just Lovely!”
Reviewed May 7, 2013

We chose Ko’a Kea to celebrate our 25th Anniversary at and it could not have been any better. We were so very pleased with the Hotel and the entire staff. The level of attention & service we received was absolutely exceptional. We wanted a more intimate setting and this property was perfect, it’s just the right size with mostly adult guests which we really appreciated and added to the quiet & restful atmosphere we were looking for. The only negative point I can come up with was the limited amount of storage space in the room & the complimentary espresso coffee maker was not our style so we chose room service for our daily coffee. We definitely look forward to visiting Ko’a Kea again on our next trip to Kauai. We loved the ambiance of this smaller Hotel & were glad to find it was not too over-the-top such as the Las Vegas style atmosphere found at the Grand Hyatt down the street.

Room Tip: Top floor ocean view room was perfect for us.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Nora Johanna O

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (671)
  • Korean first
Reviewed May 5, 2013

My husband and I stayed 4 nights at the resort in Kauai following a 5 night stay in Maui. I had originally picked the location and resort through Trip Advisor, and it definitely lived up to the wonderful reviews. Upon check-in, the valet/bellmen took our rental car and bags and greeted us upon arrival, providing information and asking about our trip. Traci at the front desk was very welcoming and made recommendations for activities. He provided a lot of helpful information and escorted us to our room, explaining all amenities that the resort had to offer. Our room was very nice and clean with a Nespresso machine available to use. The bathroom was very large with a two headed shower and L'Occitane products. It is a smaller boutique resort with excellent customer service!

We then left to explore the local area. All of the valet staff were again very helpful, and always remembered our name from the first day on. They also offered recommendations for activities, dinner, and directions. When we returned, we had champagne in our room because we had mentioned we were celebrating our anniversary. It seemed that there were a lot of couples staying that were recently engaged, honeymooning or getting married in Kauai. All mentioned they had a wonderful experience with the resort. The resort also provided turn down service and would leave a nightly bottle of water, which we appreciated as well as turn on light music by the bed.

The pool area was nice and was never crowded. The pool bar had an excellent frozen coconut mojito and bloody mary as well as good lunch or snack options. We just wished it had been open for longer hours throughout the day. I think the hours were 11am to 6pm, but the indoor bar was open afterwards, as well as Red Salt for dinner. All of the staff again were friendly and accommodating. We had water and fresh pineapple brought to us while we lounged at the pool. A water cooler was also accessible to the public.

The fitness area was more than adequate and easily accessible although I did not take full advantage of it. There were mostly cardiac machines, free weights, and yoga mats, which I should have used daily.

On my last day, I did have a Lomi Lomi massage by Noreen in the cabana by the beach. It was great. They also will keep your bags or try to provide a hospitality room if available if you are leaving on a later flight after check out. This made our last day much easier!

The resort has direct beach access, but you do have to walk a few steps in either direction for more space to lay out. It is a few minutes walk from the Poi'pu Beach park and very close to the Poipu shops and Kahuiula shops, a few minutes by car. It is also very close to Old Koloa Town. It is truly a great location.

We had purchased the breakfast package so we had access to the buffet which features italian meats, cheeses, oatmeal, cereal, toast and fresh fruits and juices as well as an entree per person each morning at their restaurant, Red Salt. It was a good choice. The food is good, and it gave us one less thing to worry about while on vacation. We also had sushi on Tuesday, which was also excellent.

The concierge took care of arranging all activities, which were easily billed to our room including our helicopter tour to the Jurassic Falls. The front staff also could take care of anything that you needed.

We drove the entire island. Nowhere was too far. After being in Hanalai and Princeville which are very nice areas, I'm still glad we stayed at the Koa Kea in Poipu. We loved loved loved the hotel and the staff and would not have traded it! We could've stayed forever.

Room Tip: No room is a bad room. The building are arranged in a U formation with oceanfront, oceanview and ga...
1 Thank piphiangel80
Yokohama, Japan
Reviewed May 4, 2013

We chose the Koa Kea because it is a boutique hotel. We wanted a smaller, intimate location for our vacation, but one with the amenities we desired. Koa Kea was just what we were looking for. The resort is on the ocean. The beach in front is a bit rocky, but there was plenty of sandy beach if you wanted to spend your time on the water. The pool was fantastic as was the pool bar and restaurant. The food was very good, and the margaritas were the best on the island. The rooms were very nice with a lanai. We had an ocean front room with a terrific view of the pool and ocean. They have a wonderful spa, great little gift shop and fitness center. The staff was excellent - we were addressed by name by the front desk and valets from day one. If you like personal attention and service in a top rate facility, the this hotel is for you.

Room Tip: We chose a partial ocean view room, and our view was fantastic.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed May 1, 2013

This truly is a remarkable place! We thoroughly enjoyed our stay both at Ko'a Kea and Kaua'i and would HIGHLY recommend both. It's not a huge resort but we were treated so well. Often addressed by our names and not just a number. We stayed in a larger ocean front room. The service at Ko'a Kea was impeccable and the 'Red Salt' restaurant was phenomenal. It was awesome being right on Po'ipu Beach. In a perfect location for the many activities and sights on the island (heli rides, boat tours, Waimea Canyon, etc...), snorkeling and surfing right out front. Would definitely go back!

• Stayed April 2013
Mumbai
Reviewed April 28, 2013

This is the most over rated hotel.. It is not a five star category hotel at all.. We checked in at 1.30 a.m, inspire the hotel being empty they gave us the room at 3 p.m.. It is over rated and highly priced.. We checked out the next day itself and moved to grand Hyatt, which was more welcoming and a way better hotel and well priced for its standards.. My wife and me were depressed when we entered the hotel. It is a hotel for 60 years plus but still over priced and poor poor service.. Would never recommend this to any 1 and it is not a "5 star " category hotel. I would rate it as a 3 star category. It is disguising people as a 5 star. Had a terrible experience..

10 Thank Anish J
Austin, Texas
Reviewed April 28, 2013

We ended up booking 3 nights here last minute when the condo we booked in Hanalei turned out to be awful. I completely based my booking on others' reviews on Trip Advisor and was really excited to stay at such a luxurious place since it was our honeymoon. There are plenty of nice things about Koa Kea which I will get to, but overall I wasn't super impressed. Maybe this is due to my heightened expectations, I'm not sure.

Warning! Poipu = sterile, resort-ville tourist trap.

if I ever go back to Kauai, I would definitely not stay in Poipu or any of the resorts here. It was a mad house. A million people everywhere, a solid string of resorts. It felt like we were floating in a sea of tourists just to try and walk down the beach. If you like quiet, nature, calm, local flavor or unique experiences, do not go to Poipu--it's built for the resort crowd who wants to lay on the beach and eat at hotel restaurants. This may have been mistake number 1 for us, in thinking we'd like to stay here, when it's just not our style. If I go back to Kauai and want to stay at a resort, I will try Princeville. We stayed at the Westin one night and though it's still super manicured and resort-y, you're in close proximity to a lot more adventure and cool stuff than you are in Poipu.

Cons on Koa Kea:
I like roughing it but I also like luxe and I was ready for it! There were just missing details for me that kept this from being the luxurious, flawless experience I would expect from a really nice hotel. There was no flat sheet on our bed when we arrived. We thought maybe that was intentional, so we didn't ask about it, and even after we got the lighter blanket out of the closet it was weird and uncomfortable (read: sweaty) to sleep in a tropical climate without a sheet. Our air conditioner broke at one point. No big deal, they fixed it, but they had to come in and fix it while we were in the room. The grounds and pool were pretty small - not a problem, but again I had high expectations. Our room was just ok, it was nice but moderately sized and nothing to write home about. Other little details: they cleaned our room twice a day, which seemed...unnecessary and a little invasive. When they cleaned it they left the radio on by the bed so when we came in the radio was blaring which lead to the sort of invasive feeling. None of these things on their own make Koa Kea a bad place--they just added up to an average experience for us at a place where we were expecting better than average.

Pros on Koa Kea:
No kids, relatively quiet in the pool area which we were really happy about. Not that we're anti-family but other resorts we walked by had tons of families milling about and kids running around, and for our honeymoon it was nice to be at a quieter, more adult place. The beach in front of Koa Kea, though smaller, was definitely less crowded than other beaches and to my surprise, actually had pretty decent snorkeling! The staff was really friendly as everyone says, especially the lovely woman by the pool and the valet guys. It does feel like they really care about your experience. Breakfast was plentiful and pretty good, definitely go for a package where breakfast is included - the prices otherwise are outrageous.

Overall our experience was colored by misaligned expectations I think, but I wanted to make sure any other travelers who might be like us take these points into consideration.

Room Tip: Important! Make sure you get a room that has a balcony on the garden and not on the parking lot of o...
2 Thank AustinKatie
Reviewed April 26, 2013

This "resort" may have been small in structure but it was nothing small when it came to service and hospitality! It started by being greeted upon our arrival after over 13 hours of flight by the valet guys. They completely took over from there. They parked our car (valet only) and took care of all our luggage (we had alot). We checked in and Claudia gave us a brief tour of the grounds as she personally escorted us to our room. It was perfect! We had an oceanfront deluxe king and I made sure to request to be on the 3rd floor. The view was gorgeous. Our room looked exactly like the professional photos on the resort's website. More often than not those photos are very deceiving....but theirs definitely were not. Claudia made sure we were satisfied with our room and left.

Frank brought in our luggage and propped it up on the luggage stands for us. We felt bad since we didn't have any cash on us at that moment to tip him but we made sure to do so later. Frank is a cool guy and we saw him several times during our stay.

We received a complimentary floral arrangement and bottle of champagne. We ordered room service which was great. The young man set our table with our dinner out on the lanai. This was so relaxing and romantic.

I can not say enough about the staff. I have to commend everyone. They were all so kind and eager to assist with whatever you needed. I used the concierge service often- we got married during our stay and I had a lot of business to take care of. Again, they were soo helpful!

The honeymoon phase of our stay was wonderful. It was so quiet and tranquil. No kids running around. There were primarily just couples. We loved lounging on the lawn and drinking at the pool bar. There was a server that went around to the guests at pool/lawn. Chickens were present here and there but they were not a nuisance. I personally enjoyed them. I swam in the pool once which was nice but we didn't go to hawaii to hang out at a pool....we went for the pacific ocean! Beaches were located to the left and right of us. It was a small stroll down the boardwalk to get there. We hung out at both of them and they were equally beautiful and fun!

Housekeeping came twice a day as long as the privacy sign was not not outside your door. But you could call to request housekeeping to come back if you missed them. The beds were comfy. We slept with our lanai door open to get the cool breeze at night. The only sounds we heard were the waves breaking. Our bathroom was beautiful. Separate tub and shower with a TV in bathroom. Everything was very clean, they really scrubbed the bathroom down good every day.

All in all....We could not have been happier with staying at Ko'a Kea for our honeymoon! If we ever go back to Kauai.....we will certainly be staying here again! Mahalo!

1 Thank Pashley2nc
Also consider these accommodations in or near Poipu
Koloa
Marriott's Waiohai Beach Club
Kauai Beach Resort
#4 of 11 in Lihue
Koloa
Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort & Spa

Been to Koa Kea Hotel & Resort? Share your experiences!