“This place is Fabulous”

Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Poipu
Paradise Valley, Arizona
“This place is Fabulous”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2013

Beach front room, great food at the Red Salt, Views, Views, Views. Staff is over the top with service. There is a reason this place ranks so High with TripAdvisor, it is the most Romantic Place I have been and I look forward to returning again.

Room Tip: Get the Ocean Front Deluxe....No Regrets
1 Thank BaconGuy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (657)
  • Korean first
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2013

My husband, 23 year old daughter and I stayed at Koa Kea for 10 days in early Feb 2013. We had a wonderful holiday and the service delivered by the unfailingly friendly, caring staff was top notch - all staff from front desk to valet team and room maids performed their roles with refined elegance, attention to detail and sincere charm. My husband and I are active late 50's and found Koa Kea to be a great base location for daily hiking/walking and snorkeling. We upgraded to a waterfront unit and loved watching whales and gorgeous sunsets from our room and lanai. The resort is arranged in a horseshoe around a pretty pool and lawn area with plenty of chaise lounges that receive sun during the day (shade available) and also offer a beautiful ocean and sunset view. We had intended to try several different dining venues on the Island, but we found the food offered at Koa Kea in the Red Salt dining room, in the lounge, and sushi at the bar so fabulous that by the time we worked our way through the menus, we did not have time to try much else. All of the meals we had at Koa Kea were delicious and healthy. Special thanks to Justin the sushi chef, and Laura in Red Salt.

Room Tip: We liked the waterfront rooms on the west side of the complex.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank 55Sandi
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2013

We stayed here for two nights, for a romantic Valentine's Day getaway. Hopped over from Waikiki, and decided to stay at Koa Kea, based on the stellar ratings we found online. Unfortunately, we left with the opinion that it's not nearly as good as the "hype." Let me explain. . .

To be clear, this is NOT a new property. It is a REFURBISHED property. The updates were done to a nice style, no doubt. But here's the first problem: The rooms are small. Very small. As in, "hardly any space to even walk around the beds" small.

Because of our late booking, we couldn't get a king size, so we had to settle for queens. The room had such a small amount of space in it that I barely had enough room to sit my suitcase on the floor and open it. Seriously small.

The next problem was the odor in the room. We couldn't tell exactly what it was. It might have been that some of the newer materials in the room were still offgassing. Whatever it was, it caused my asthma to act up.

Even the lobby had a strong smell. It smelled like chlorine. In spite of the fact that there is no indoor pool. Strange.

When we were originally shown to our room at the time of check-in, the woman asked if we would like to have housekeeping replace the heavy, warm comforters on the bed with lighter-weight (and cooler) sheets. We said yes. They never arrived. Even after we called the front desk the next day to ask for them again.

We stayed in room 370, which overlooks the pool area and had an ocean view IF you walked out onto the lanai and turned your head 90 degrees to the right. The problem is that our room faced another building on the other side of the pool. That building is actually quite close. So, you have zero privacy. You always have to keep your shades drawn for any privacy at all. . . which sort of defeats the purpose of staying in Hawai'i, doesn't it? I mean, who wants to stay in a room with blinds drawn all the time. Another guest in the building across from ours didn't keep his blinds drawn, and we were treated to seeing him walk through the room naked. . . while we were sitting on our lanai drinking coffee. Lovely. (not!!)

Speaking of the lanai, ours was right next to the stairs that allows guests entry to the side of the building. So, while on the lanai, if anyone walked up the stairs, they would be facing us directly, from a distance of less than 10 feet. They would say hello, which is the polite thing to do when you see someone that close. But again, where's the privacy? Maybe we don't want to be greeting other guests from the "privacy" of our own lanai (!)

One our second day, we took leftovers from the previous night's dinner down to the bar in the pool area, and ordered a couple of drinks to enjoy with our leftovers. We were promptly (and curtly, I might add) told by the woman behind the bar that we were not allowed to eat "food from outside the hotel" at the bar. This was strictly forbidden by hotel rules. Okaaayyy. But we were allowed to eat our food at a table by the poolside, which was only 6 feet away from the bar. This was completely silly. And seriously, how does the hotel manager who made up this "rule" think it makes guests feel?

I have read other reviewers' raves about the valet at this property. Sure they do a good job. But that's all they are doing, is their job. It's nothing above and beyond what you experience with any other valet who is simply doing his job. Just something else that really seems to be hyped up by other reviewers about this property.

I could go on, but suffice it to say, we left entirely unimpressed. About this place, I would say, "Much ado about nothing."

This place is an older property that has been "warmed up" with a recent refurbishment. But the rooms are entirely too small. It lacks privacy, and has strange "rules" that inhibit guests from being able to relax and do their own thing. It doesn't provide service that is nearly as good as some people seem to think it does. And quite honestly, it is way overpriced for what you actually get.

Do yourself a favor. Don't spend the extra money for this place. It's not worth it.

22 Thank eilig
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2013

On late arrival we were greeted with a smile and shown around the hotel, room was beautiful with a lovely patio as on ground floor, we could hear the ocean at night. Hotel was quiet and a perfect setting for couples. Pool/jacuzzi area always very clean and picturesque at night with lanterns lit. There's a lovely beach to the right of the hotel, great place to catch romantic sunsets. Staff always polite and friendly and valet staff always very helpful. Room always very clean apart from one day,think they may have been rushed. Breakfast slightly expensive yet tasty and fresh, nice restaurant atmosphere. Would definitely stay in this hotel again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Lovetraveling85
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2013

We had a terrific 10 day stay at the KOA KEA in Poipu.
Super friendly staff, no charge for valet or internet, good facilities, nice restaurant and hotel not too big so it still feels intimate!
We will be back!

Room Tip: Face towards the pool
2 Thank BeenAllOver1
Playa del Rey, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here for 3 nights for a babymoon at 21 weeks. We actually flew in on a late Thursday night and saved some money by staying at the Courtyard Marriott in Kapa'a ($157? - great hotel, delicious breakfast, just small bathroom) which was a lot closer to the airport.

Now back to the Ko'a Kea - amazing!! I can't say enough.

Grounds - The hotel is beautiful, modern, very clean. The pool and jacuzzi open into a grassy patio and bar that overlooks the ocean and you can enjoy the beautiful sunsets. Even a few whales here and there. Also a few steps away from small coves of beach where you can sunbathe, swim, and snorkel. This I loved because the water was shallow and since I was pregnant I was not allowed on boat tours etc.

Red Salt - I think this is also the #1 (sit down) restaurant in Piopu (#1 was a gelato place so that doesn't count). Since I'm preggers I am limited to what I can eat. My husband had the mahi which was delicious and I had the pork tenderloin. Also super delicious and it was sitting on top of creamy blue cheese mashed potatoes- yummmm!!! And breakfast was just as spectacular. Who doesn't like portuguese sausage? I mixed my eggs with the home fries and I wish I had a huge spoon to gobble it all up. My husband had the french toast and drowned it in coconut syrup. My breakfast also came with a side of "bluberry strudel" toast which was out of this world. I had to save a slice (and some leftover mini muffins they give you start) to eat later and it was still yummy.

Rooms - good size, comfortable beds with duvet covers (I am scared of hotel comforters). Bathroom size was nice with a HUGE marble shower complete with a place to sit and 2 types of showerheads. It had nice glass doors (I extremely dislike shower curtains). No tub but I don't care too much for that anyway. We could've done without the "partial ocean view" (translation = you do not see the ocean from you bed, or your room for that matter - stand on the far corner of the balcony and then you could see the ocean). But that didn't bother us much either because our room was close to the swimming pool area that overlooked the ocean.

Service - excellent. Everyone was so helpful and gracious. When we called down to the receptionist and informed them there was a problem with the thermostat, the service tech was up within minutes and solved the issue.

Departure Room - I don't know of any other hotel that has this feature. After you check out there is a conference-type room you can book for 1 hour to freshen up, even shower. Free of charge! So if you have a late flight, you can check out of your hotel room, do some shopping or drive around, come back, enjoy the grounds a bit more, have dinner, then use the room to get ready prior to your flight.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank dmanalo
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2013

Outstanding service, ideal location and fantastic food/beverage options make Koa Kea a great alternative to the larger resorts in this area. It's a clean, modernized hotel with ample pool and garden sitting areas. The pool bar makes fantastic frozen mint mojitos which are essentially pina coladas blended with fresh mint, Beach directly in front of the hotel is rocky but sandy Poipu Beach is within walking distance. Only complaint is the double beds which are too cramped to comfortably accommodate two people, even kids.

Room Tip: partial ocean view still provides a decent ocean view, especially on upper levels
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Sky F
Also consider these accommodations in or near Poipu
Koloa
Marriott's Waiohai Beach Club
Kauai Beach Resort
#4 of 11 in Lihue
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,225 reviews
Koloa
Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort & Spa

Been to Koa Kea Hotel & Resort? Share your experiences!