Koa Kea Hotel & Resort
Marriott
$1,599
$699
Hyatt.com
Kiahuna Plantation Resort(Poipu)(Great Value!)
$214
Orbitz.com
  • Pool
TripAdvisor
2,327 results
All reviewsred saltpool barsmall hotelnespresso machineour honeymoonocean frontcontinental buffetpoipu beachsushimega resortsbreakfast packagevalet guysmacadamia nutsturn down serviceeggs benedictrain showeran ocean view room
Reviewed November 18, 2012

After staying at the Koa Kea Resort a second time this November, I was so pleased with my stay, I felt compelled to submit another review. The Koa Kea Hotel and Resort was every bit as charming and terrific as it was a year and a half ago, when we first stayed here. The customer service is unparalleled. Everyone, from the bellhops, to the reception staff, to the restaurant waiters and housekeeping services is very genuine and friendly. They always make an effort to greet you in passing and ask how you are doing. It just naturally puts you in a great mood. The rooms are beautifully appointed and sooo cozy. I had a partial ocean view and could see the ocean and sunset through a canopy of palm trees on my balcony. The beds are super comfy.

My only cautionary notes: 1) you should request a flat sheet when booking your reservation if you don't want to sleep under just a light comforter. It's unusual, but they don't typically provide a flat sheet for the beds. 2) Be prepared to run out of the complimentary coffee if you are a big coffee drinker. They have a wonderful expresso machine which uses insertable pods, but you only get 4 caffeinated and 2 decaffeinated pods per stay. Just two cups of strong coffee on one day will probably require all 4 complimentary coffee pods. You can turn in the decaf pods for caffeinated pods to stretch the coffee a little longer. Then you have to buy more coffee pods at $1 per pod. As this is a luxury resort which strives to provide the best possible customer service, they really should provide as much complimentary coffee as needed throughout each guest's stay.

Also, if you want a breakfast that won't break the bank, there is a general store and cafe right next to the Koa Kea at the Marriott next door. You can get a great breakfast (with eggs and sausage) to go for $10 and eat it on your balcony.

I highly recommend this hotel, especially for couples and older folks who want tranquility and relaxation. It is also right next the gorgeous Poipu beach, so the location is really convenient. We cannot wait to go back!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room that is not near the hallway entrance. The doors at the hallway entrance are noisy when they close. It is optimal if you can get a room on the top floor.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 17, 2012

Exceptional service in an adult atmosphere. We only saw 2 or 3 children during our 7 night stay and they were quiet and very well behaved.
The hotel was only busy Saturday and Sunday otherwise very quiet in the room and all over the hotel grounds.
Breakfast was terrific and dinner at Red Salt was very good.

Room Tip: We enjoyed the ocean front deluxe very much. See the pictures.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 15, 2012

I decided to stay at this property because several places have rated it as the best in Hawaii and perhaps the world. What a piece of perfection on Kauai. This is the place to stay if you visit the island. Expectations were high and I was not dissapointed from arrival to depature, the service and attention to detail was excellent!
I was impressed with the staff and how they seemed to love their work and how they knew us after only a day. The entire staff was all smiles and even called me by name.
The property was especially beautiful , but this is the garden island.
I loved the place so much that I could spend a week here and never leave the property. Ah, now that is my idea of a vacation.
My first choice on Kauai and perhaps the entire state.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Mike B
Reviewed November 15, 2012

I’m just sitting at the pool ready to head home and I thought I would post our review for the Koa Kea. Simply put, this hotel was perfect for us.
If you are the type of couple who enjoys there peace and quiet but still enjoy all of the amenities that a larger resorts offer, this hotel is perfect for you!

We were in room 144 which was an ocean front room and literally a 1 minute walk to the beach. Although we went to a number of beaches across the island we actually enjoyed our little beach the most. It was not crowded and definitely not as windy as some of the other beaches we checked out. This little spot has some amazing snorkeling literally 5 feet off the beach. We saw a huge sea turtle grazing off of the coral and saw an amazing selection of other tropical fish. We even had a sea lion swim up to a foot of the shore....simply amazing.
I think my only negative comment on the beach would be that the hotel charges for beach chairs which I think should be included as a part of the resort fee.
The hotel has plenty of chairs set out both at the pool and in the grassy area overlooking the ocean. This is a great spot to watch the sunset!

We used the pool bar quite a few days for lunch. The pool could probably use a few more items on the menu but the food was very good...especially the burgers.
We especially enjoyed the company of one of our bartenders, Jamie. The other young bartender, who shall remain nameless, needs to get a little more giddy up in his step, especially on the days he was busy. Hopefully if he reads this he won't take this too personally but instead will use these comments to better improve his service.
Everyone at this property was incredibly helpful and very nice. They genuinely wanted to help with any of our needs. We especially wanted to say thanks to Samdi and Chance who waited on us at breakfast each day and Frank our helpful bellman. I did want to mention that all of the bellman were terrific and well as all of those at the front desk.
Most nights we went out for dinner but we always wound up back at the lobby bar for drinks in the evening and we especially enjoyed the company of Jim who as it turns out knows some of my friends back in Dallas. I do want to warn anyone ordering a Red Coral from the bar menu....be careful! You will wake up the next day not knowing how you made it back to your room and will pay the price for it the whole next day!
Although there were a few kids at the hotel it is primarily a couples resort and we wound up meeting some great people. Jim and Susan, it was great meeting you and I really enjoyed playing golf with you!
This is a hotel we will definitely come back too soon and I hope you enjoy it as much as we did.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank goldenram1
Reviewed November 14, 2012

Got the upgrade to an ocean view as part of the iprefer membership and booked the 3 night get 4th night free special. Our room was above the restaurant and reception so it was some way back from the beach so ocean was a little misleading, from what we could tell the garden and partial ocean view rooms all seemed on par with no significant difference, they do offer suites right on the front of the property overlooking the beach though at a significant premium. Our Room was nicely furnished but a little small with not much closet and drawer space for a couple spending more than a few nights. It was our first visit to kauai so we didn't plan to spend much time in the room or the resort as keen to get out and about the island. So for us room size not such a big deal. However one minor annoyance was our room was right next to the floor entrance main door so lots of door banging as other guests came and went. For this reason strongly suggest you give room 200 a miss. Overall service was very good , check in, concierge and bell staff all vey accommodating. Only one small gripe, during the evening turn down service they provided one very small bottle of water, when asked if they could spare another bottle as there was two of us we were told "no it was against policy" a bit odd for a boutique high end hotel at $400.00 a night.
Red salt restaurant and the bar were excellent , went to a few other Restaurants but red salt was the best.

Would we stay again? yes but would probably spring for the ocean front suite next time and spend more of the vacation at the resort with hot tub and Mai Tia's watching the sunset every night ( and bring a 6 pack of water!).

Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple