“A jewel in the middle of paradise”

Koa Kea Hotel & Resort
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Poipu
kellysully @aol.com
“A jewel in the middle of paradise”
Reviewed November 9, 2012

Koa Kea Hotel and Resort will NOT disappoint! A small boutique hotel located on the beach with excellent snorkeling and a great reef break for surfers. You can rent snorkels and snorkel gear, surf boards, beach chairs for a nominal cost right on the premises. The well-trained staff makes you feel like this is your home away from home. The Red Salt restaurant is excellent and on par with all the first class places to eat in Poipu. The beautifully appointed rooms with twice a day housekeeping make Koa Kea a first class experience with intimacy. Our beds were luxurious and comfortable. The bathroom is large and comfortable. There is no tub but has a two headed shower with a seat. A great location for an experience of the South Shore!

Room Tip: We were on the bottom floor and our room opened out onto the pool. There was foot traffic but VERY...
4 Thank kellysully

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (682)
  • Korean first
Sedona, Arizona, United States
Reviewed November 8, 2012

This was the best hotel experience I've had in quite a long time. The room was great - it was clean and neat, with a small fridge for guest use, a very comfy bed and an awesome shower! The only drawback to the bed was that one side of my bed was a little saggy, so it was time for the hotel to replace the bedding in my room. I just slept on the other side of the bed and was extremely comfortable.

When the staff was showing me the room on arrival and asked about morning coffee, I mentioned that I was a tea drinker, and they volunteered to send an electric kettle to my room to make that even easier for me. The cups are not so great, as they are glass and have the most ridiculous handles that make it impossible to hold until the tea really cools down a lot. I happened to have a travel tea mug with me from drinking my morning tea on the way to the airport, so I just used that all week.

Buying the breakfast in advance was a very good deal, as the price included anything I wanted from the breakfast buffet, plus a hot entree from the menu, as well as the tip. No need to sign anything afterwards or try to find cash for a tip for my waiter. It was a nice way to start my day. The sushi on Friday and Saturday nights was excellent - fresh and very tasty. The room service meals I had sent up were also wonderful and hot on arrival. I was in a rush to get to class one morning and asked if I could have a breakfast burrito to go instead of eating in the restaurant. They told me it would be no problem and had it ready and waiting for me to pick up on my way out in 15 minutes.

The service from everyone during my stay was great, from the valets, to the waiters, to the housekeeping staff, which added incredibly to the cozy feel of the place. I really felt that the staff cared about the guests and was willing to do whatever was necessary to make me feel comfortable and cared for.

The pool area and the beach were very well cared for and enjoyable. It was nice to have just a short stroll past the lawn to the beach. Since there are other hotel properties on either side of the hotel, there were always people around, but it never felt crowded or uncomfortable. And the beach itself was great for strolls first thing in the morning or just before bed.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank Pilisa C
New York City, New York
Reviewed November 6, 2012

I cannot say enough good things about our stay at Ko'a Kea Hotel & Resort at Poipu Beach, Kauai. After initially missing the road turn (the hotel's sign can only be seen from one side), we were greeted by very friendly and helpful valets. This is a valet-only parking hotel as space is a little tight. The valets always seemed genuinely surprised and appreciative of any tips.

We were then seated in the beautiful lobby where the check-in lady came to us and went through our visit while sitting in the lovely leather sofas instead of standing at the front desk - a nice touch.

The room itself, an ocean view king, was very comfortable and luxurious feeling, with subtle decor and a bed to.die.for. I cried when I had to get out of that bed. The bathroom was also beautiful with a huuuge shower with two heads, one regular with changeable water-flow, and one that drenches you from the ceiling. There's also a marble seat built in just in case you need to rest... Oh, and the L'Occitane toiletries...

We chose this hotel because we read it was better for couples who were looking for a quieter hotel. I think we saw two children during our stay. The rest were almost exclusively couples which definitely led to a quieter, calmer atmosphere.

You can sunbathe on the lawn or by the pool, or you can go down onto the beach which is literally at the end of the lawn. Towels are available from the resort's equipment hut, which also rents out boards, snorkel gear etc for very reasonable rates (as compared to Maui, which was our next stop)

Snorkelling is fantastic at the slightly deeper water of the beach just a little further along at the Marriot. I must've seen about 20-25 different varieties of vivdly-coloured fish, as well as turtles and a seal while on a walk during our jet-lagged mornings.

We were so busy, we didn't get to try the restaurant there (Red Salt) but the menu looked delicious and it was always busy.

We ate at Brennecke's Broiler, a 10-15 min walk away, and also at Poipu Village (Roy's, Keoki's Paradise, and Poipu Tropical burger for breakfast (no, we didn't eat burgers for breakfast - eggs, toast etc). The ice-cream place is also great, and Whaler's market was handy for sandwiches and Spam-flavoured macademia nuts (!!). The shopping village is quick 10 min walk.

All in all, I could live at Koa Kea - lovely people, small, more intimate atmosphere (we stayed at the gigantic Sheraton on Maui & found ourselves dreaming about Koa Kea) and a beautifully-kept hotel.

Worth every penny.

Room Tip: I don't think there are any bad views from any room.
5 Thank AmosVinny
Bern, Switzerland
Reviewed November 6, 2012

I spent with my husband a few days in that beautiful hotel. Charming room, excellent food, nice place and a Nespresso machine in each room... We will return for sure :-)

The island is small, but really beautiful. The canyon is breathtaking <3

Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed November 3, 2012

Wonderful property. Oceanfront 30 feet from ocean. Needed more solid walls between rooms for more privacy. Mattress was like sleeping in 2 canoes, needed to be replaced. Water and coffee should have been complimentary for >$600 a night rooms. The Salt restaurant was every bit as good as Roy's (The best on the island) just needed a little larger portions. The staff truly portrays the meaning of Aloha. Very professional, accomodating and seemed to love what they do. No better view on the island. We would certainly stay again... Island seemed to have been hit heard with the economic downturn. The couple of shopping centers still open had 10 to 20% occupancy. No place to shop. There is a Macy's and a Sears but you generally want to buy unique Hawaiian gifts not normally found in conventional stores.

Room Tip: If you can afford the oceanfront rooms it is worth it! Although all the rooms with an ocean view are...
1 Thank TravelFrankie
Toronto
Reviewed November 1, 2012

Returned from our honeymoon, we stayed at the Koa Kea for 4 nights after staying at the Four Seasons in Maui. The Koa Kea is a beachfront hotel, steps from Poi'pu beach which has one of the best snorkelling spots right beside the sand bar! We went snorkelling there early in the morning before the 10am rush of tourists and saw the state fish humuhumu all the time! The staff are very friendly and the hotel felt very cozy. We got the romance package and was pleased to get upgraded to an ocean front room on the first floor. We were in the room closest to the Marriot on the end. It was very nice to be steps from the beach and the advantage to being on the main floor is you get your own personal lounge chair to lie outside on. It gets very hot during the day and offers no shade so we would sometimes retreat to the pool area so that we could both stretch out on a beach chair and get shade if we want. We ate on our lanai for dinner twice and it was very romantic because the fire torches are lit until about 9pm and the moon in the sky along with the sound of the waves just sets the scene. The drawback to being in this particular room is that we were infront of the spot where surfers surfed the waves but our view was blocked by a hill/rocks were elevated and blocked our view because we were on the ground floor. The major advantage is since we had great views of the sunset and it felt like luxery to have the ocean in your backyard. It's nice to sit on the beach to watch the sunset as well and so close to home that you can easily carry a towel or mat to sit on along with some wine/champagne! The hotel is across the street from a plaza that has amazing puka dog, gelato, and a convienance store where you can stock up on snacks, drinks, and alcohol. Every night during turndown service, they put a small bottle of fuji water into a icebucket for you beside the bed, i loved that! there is a nespresso machine in your room and you get six coffee pods free to use and have to purchase additional for $1 from there. If you are a fan, you can always bring your own to use in the machine! The pool is small but does the job. The food at red salt is delish, we were fans of the lobster ravioii (you get a good piece of lobster tail with it!), the mushroom pasta, the fish dishes... and i loved the red salt itself! The gelato was great... and the breakfast... the pancakes were fluffy and waffles were great. I had a special one day - the moonfish eggs benedict - to die for!

Overall we were very pleased with our experience at a small boutique hotel where we felt it was our own personal escape. We didn't mind being on the first floor at all and it felt like your own backyard with grass in front of you. People are walking that path but they come and go and everyone is minding their own business.. plus it gives you a chance to people watch! The hotel experience is different from a bigger hotel and feels more personable and cozy. Make sure you go to the sand bar and snorkel on poi'pu beach! I look forward to coming back! One more thing - if you need directions to anything, the hotel has directions to popular places
printed on a cue card for you that also has a description of the place you are headed! very convienant and easy.

Room Tip: Choose oceanview or oceanfront, it's worth it because you're so close to the ocean!
5 Thank 3peasINpod
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed November 1, 2012

My husband and I recently enjoyed a 6 night stay at the Koa Kea. Located nestled between the Marriott and the Plantation, it's a bit tricky to find. Look for the little blue signs after you make the turn into the entrance. Location is great. Very close to shops and restaurants (with a number within walking distance). Beaches are just slightly off to the right and the left of the resort, which is nice because people aren't parked right in front as you enjoy lounging on the chairs by the pool. Amazing sunset views! Resort is spotless and very well maintained. Every single staff member we encountered was pleasant, helpful and eager to assist in anyway possible. I even asked if they had a noisy fan I could borrow as white noise (my husband snores) because the rooms were so quiet ... and they did even better!! They produced a portable sound machine with different options (waves, rain, birds, etc.). Amazing and worked like a charm!

The pool is small, but the resort wasn't overcrowded so it didn't matter. No kids around during most of our stay, although we did notice a number of babies arriving near the end and a couple with a rather noisy toddler checked in beside us for the night. Can definitely hear through the walls and the lanais are not private. Rooms are clean, bed is fantastically comfortable and bathrooms are gorgeous. Food at Red Salt and the poolside bar was delicious. Lunch was a good value compared to local restaurants.

Not sure why there are a couple of negative reviews on here (no one had to pay for chairs/umbrellas while we were there). If you're looking for a big resort, Koa Kea is not for you. It's advertised as a boutique hotel, which is exactly what it is. If you're looking for a smaller hotel with excellent service, clean comfortable rooms, a gym, pool, hot tub, laundry facilities, small fridge and a good location in Poipu, then the Koa Kea is for you. We stayed in #342, which is at the end of the hall with an ocean view.

We highly recommend the Koa Kea. Thank you to all the staff who made our stay so enjoyable.

2 Thank Heather B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Poipu
Koloa
Marriott's Waiohai Beach Club
Kauai Beach Resort
#4 of 11 in Lihue
Koloa
Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort & Spa

Been to Koa Kea Hotel & Resort? Share your experiences!