Koa Kea Hotel & Resort
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
2,282 results
All reviewsred saltsmall hotelour honeymoonnespresso machinepool barocean frontcontinental buffetpoipu beachsushi chefbreakfast packagemega resortsvalet guysturn down servicemacadamia nutsrain showerpartial ocean viewlawn area
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 1, 2011

My husband and I just got home from a 9 night stay at the Koa Kea for our honeymoon. We wanted to stay forever! They upgraded our room for free because it was our honeymoon. Our room had a separate bath tub and shower which were HUGE! The staff was very friendly, and when we asked the waiters about restaurants where the locals go they gave us great recommendations. They have a morning and evening housekeeping visit so we never had to worry about running out of anything. They restock Fuji water bottles in your room every day. They have a nice lawn area with lounge chairs where you can lay out, and it's about a 10 feet walk to get down to the beach. There is a nice shopping center within walking distance where we were able to get awesome gelato. I highly recommend getting the breakfast package as the restaurant that is in the hotel (Red Salt) is a little pricey (for good reason; the food is high quality). With the food package we were able to partake in the continental breakfast and order off the "hot items" menu. Everything on the hot items menu was delicious. They have a nice gym with a good choice of equipment, however they need to install fans as there was little to no airflow which makes you overheat when you're trying to get a good workout. They have a washer and dryer which was nice, and relatively inexpensive at $1.00 per load each. We never heard a peep from our neighbors - not because there wasn't anyone there, but because the walls were apparently thick enough to block the noise. We will definitely be visiting this place again!

5  Thank Nicole P
Reviewed September 30, 2011

We chose to stay at Koa Kea for the last part of our honeymoon based on all the amazing reviews we read. I think it's impossible to have a bad time in Kauai, which may be the reason for all the great reviews, but when looking at the hotel separately I have to say it was nothing special.
Pros- Very clean, friendly staff (for the most part), nicely decorated rooms, good breakfast, beautiful view of the ocean
Cons- They don't put a sheet or blanket on the bed- only a down comforter which is a strange choice in such a warm climate. We barely slept the first night because it was too hot with it, too cold without it. We asked a maid for an extra sheet on day two and put it on ourselves. There was mandatory valet parking for which they charge $15 per day (plus gratuity). Poor upkeep of the pool area- people would leave food trays that would sit there for hours- we never saw anyone clean them up. There was only 1 girl working at the pool bar and the wait to order a drink or food was long. They only have 1 sushi roller on sushi night- the waiter actually warned us not to get sushi at dinner because it would take too long and would be too hard to time along with our other food.
Overall we had an excellent time in Kauai, but it had nothing to do with this hotel. It wasn't a bad hotel, but not that great either. If we go back, we would not stay here again because I feel like there are much nicer hotels on the island for the same cost.

6  Thank Kim L
Reviewed September 29, 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Koa Kea for the last 5 nights of our honeymoon, and we joked about not going back home! The staff were fantastic upon arrival, and I'll be honest, I was a little unsure what the room would be like (the outside of the hotel isn't fancy), but then when we stepped into the hallway and ultimately the room, we were VERY pleasantly surprised. The decor is so warm and relaxing, Fuji water is chilled for you upon arrival and turn down every night, and I have never felt so relaxed. Everything about this hotel is lush - the grounds, the lobby...The bartender (Jamie!) was top notch, and I wouldn't even know if they allow kids because we didn't see any the whole time we were there. The beach is a very short walk, and it's a short drive to amazing restaurants and shops. HIGHLY recommended.

Room Tip: I can't imagine there's a 'bad' room here. But the ocean front (highest floor - 3rd?) would have been amazing!!
  • Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Britt B
Reviewed September 29, 2011

By far the greatest resort I have experienced! Koa Kea made for an amazing honeymoon, my husband and I dream of going back to Hawaii, but mostly returning to this boutique hotel. Everything about it was phenomenal; the ammenities, service, bedding, location, restaurant, turndown service, in-room espresso machine, all of it was out of this world. We actually called Koa Kea to order the down mattress cover that was on the bed! The continental breakfast, we still talk about, everything was delicious and appetizing. We had drinks one evening before dinner and from no where a server arrived with an edamame appetizer. We let them no that we hadn't ordered them, but the server assured us they were complimentary just for sitting in the lobby! As for the atmosphere, it was peaceful, asthetically pleasing, and serene. The resort is right on the water, you can swim and snorkel just steps from your room. The cabana bar was relaxing and fun. We recommend letting the hotel know if you are on your honeymoon because there are additional ammenities that they shower you with. A perfect place to stay. I would go there again and again!!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Melissa D
Reviewed September 29, 2011

Truly an excellent, beautiful place to stay. Beautiful and clean. Helpful, friendly, courteous staff. Excellent restaurant (Red Salt). Right on the ocean with scenic views. Convenient to shopping, restaurants, and places to visit. Valet parking. We enjoyed every aspect of our stay at Koa Kea and would definitely stay there if we are fortunate enough to return to beautiful Kauai!

Room Tip: Ocean view or ocean front are obviously the most scenic.
1  Thank Yorktown_NYJane