“Great ride, friendly people, but lots of trash and biting flies on island.”
Review of Niihau Helicopter

$198.88*
Niihau and Na Pali Coast Kauai Snorkel Cruise with Optional Scuba
Ranked #1 of 1 things to do in Makaweli
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Great ride, friendly people, but lots of trash and biting flies on island.”
Reviewed January 28, 2012

Title pretty much covers it. The helicopter ride was by far the best part. Once we landed on the island we were promptly greeted by biting flies, which we were not forewarned about. They absolutely loved sunscreen (not the best for white tourists), so the only escape was snorkeling in the water. The snorkeling was adequate, not bad but not great, depending on what you've seen before. But you can't snorkel for 3 hours so the time on the beach was spent covered up and slapping away flies. If you go for a walk to look for the coveted glass orbs, you probably won't find any, but there is plenty glass bottles along with miles of trash as far as the eye can see. There are some shells, but none spectacular. Overall the views of whales and wildlife from the helicopter almost makes up for the super lame, almost dangerous with the broken glass, beach and the people were super nice. We may not have gone though (for the price) if we knew the island would be so unpleasant.

4 Thank PJ323

Dana Point, California
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“fantastic”
Reviewed November 24, 2011

If I could recommend one thing it would be this experience. I know it is kind of pricey, but it is well worth it. I have been going to Hawaii for over 40 years and this is the best excursion I have taken. The pilot is very experienced and is very informative. The ground crew/office staff are wonderful and very helpful. We flew to Niihau and toured the island. We then landed on the beach and had about 2 hours to snorkel and explore. The island is beautiful, the sand is unlike anything I have ever seen. We went for a walk along the beach and came upon a monk seal! A magical experience, do not miss it!

Visited October 2011
3 Thank konalynn
Silver Spring, Maryland
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Not much to do but soak in the fantastic isolation.”
Reviewed October 18, 2011

My wife and I took the helicopter ride to the east end of Niihau. The ride was good and we enjoyed the pilot's narration and stories about the history, geography and fauna/flora on the island. Once we arrived, there's not much to do but snorkel and walk up and down the beach. For urban/suburban people, the isolation of the beach was welcome. At one point, my wife and I couldn't see anybody else which was perfect. We sat on the flat lava beach and admired the views of Lehua and the sunshine. They provided a lunch which was better than I thought it would be. The snorkeling is limited, but we saw several schools of brightly colored tropical fish in the lagoon. I'm not a superdooper environmentalist, but the amount of trash and debris on the shore (coming from ships) was really depressing.

Visited October 2011
1 Thank Ajay P
Edwardsville, Illinois
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent tour”
Reviewed October 17, 2010

We've been to Kauaii four times and finally went on this tour to Niihau...it was excellent. Read the other reviews for specific tour details - it sounds like they follow the same format. We also had to wait for enough people to go on the tour, but it was worth the wait. I would recommend this to anyone.

1 Thank azarcs
Sydney, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Fantastic tour”
Reviewed January 9, 2010

My wife and I went on a half day tour with Niihau Helicopters between Christmas and New Year 2009.

When we first contacted Niihau Helicopters, they could not guarantee that they would go ahead with the tour when we were there, due to the requirements to the number of participants. However we were put on a list, and fortunately enough other people also showed their interest.

The tour consisted of three parts:

first we flew from Port Allen to Niihau and toured most of the island. We saw antelopes, boars, a monk seal, albatrosses, and more. The tour also included the Lehua Crater. The flight took 40 minutes.

The second part was three plus hours on the ground. The base was a the beach with excellent snorkeling, possibility to find nice shells, and walk along the beach or inland. The tour also included a nice sandwich with water and juice.

The final part was the return flight. On the way we kept an eye out for humpback whales. How incredible to see those creatures from the air. That's when you really appreciate how big they are. We were lucky and saw one that was surrounded by dolphins. When we arrived back at Kauai, we followed the coast line for some miles before arriving back at the airport. This flight took around a bit more than 20 minutes.

All in all it was a great tour and it is highly recommended. Also the weather was quite crappy and rainy on Kauai, but sunny and nice on Niihau.

2 Thank Travel4Life2UrJoy

Been to Niihau Helicopter? Share your experiences!