All reviews oxtail soup late night arrival place to sleep clean bed loco moco basic room night stay minutes from the airport rental car accommodations geckos amenities roaches island oahu
Selected filters
Reviewed March 21, 2019

I was landing in Lihue late in the evening and just needed a clean place to sleep until I was off to the west shore in the morning. The Tip Top did the trick. It's no deluxe resort nor does it pretend to be, and in fact the room was about as utilitarian as you can imagine, including no carpet. But the prices are reasonable, the room was clean, the bed was comfy, parking was easy, shower was pretty new and pretty nice too (nice new beachglass-style tile), and their customer service was really good too, for handling my late night arrival and easy check-out in the AM.

Date of stay: March 2019
Reviewed March 7, 2019

First, would I stay at the Tip Top Motel again? Yes. Are there certain things that some travelers might not like? Yes. For me the Tip Top Motel was in a very handy location, midpoint between the southern and northern parts of the island of Kauai. That made getting about by car for visiting sites easy to do. My room was very quite at night. The room was very small and tight, but as I was there mostly for sleeping and traveling by day, that was OK with me. With that said, during my 5 night stay I only had room service once. So had to ask at check in for soap and such. This Motel has a VERY popular breakfast restaurant among the locals, so be prepared to wait in line if dining there. Also in the mornings the parking lot is packed because of this breakfast crowd. Lihue is a rather small working town, so not resort or fancy in any way. But for my purposes that was fine. So if you are a traveler who wants a convenient, clean, and moderately priced place to stay, I for sure recommend the Tip Top! Just remember, nothing fancy here, but clean and well situated.

Room tip: I always prefer upstairs. There is no elevator. Only two floors. My room was very quiet at night.
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 20, 2019

I stayed here as part of proving that I can still rough it out even at 50 years old...seriously though, if all you looking for are basic amenities, hot water, and a clean bed to stay for the night, Tip Top will do no wrong. The room consisted of a bed, TV, and AC. It had a basic shower and sink. Advantages? Super close to the airport for the late night arrival, but definitely check out other hotels when you wake up - unless you cannot afford it. Other amenities like a pool? None. What it does have is a very good local cafe that served a very good local breakfast which you cannot pass. Will I stay here again? Probably not. Will I eat breakfast here again? Definitely!

Room tip: There are no good rooms...but good breakfasts.
Reviewed February 18, 2019

Only thing that's cheaper is camping or the two hostels. Did those and needed a place for a good hot shower. Tip Top did the trick. Easy, friendly, check-in. Basic, simple and clean rooms. Surprise was the beautifully tiled shower. Seriously central location. Would definitely come again.

• Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 8, 2019

After a long day of traveling and a late night arrival, this motel was a convenient choice. It's only minutes from the airport car rental. I let the motel know about my late check-in when I booked and their communication about the process I should follow was excellent. The room was basic and clean, just a place to crash for the evening before heading to my final stop. The attached diner has great selections. I enjoyed the banana and macadamia nut pancake and syrup. Then off to see the island!

Room tip: Second-floor room required carrying luggage up an outdoor staircase.
Date of stay: January 2019