“Good Enough for a Daytime Stay”
Review of Tip Top Motel

Tip Top Motel
Tip Top Motel
Ranked #9 of 11 Hotels in Lihue
“Good Enough for a Daytime Stay”
Reviewed August 10, 2013

We just wanted a cheap motel to rest at for the day as we waited for our night time flight home.

The reviews are true. It's the size and feel of a small dorm room with the basics: two twin beds, a TV (with plenty of stations), linoleum floors, bathroom with a shower, and that's all. The room, towels, and bed linens were clean. The room was good enough for our daytime stay. Cost was about $88, and worth it to us.

Downside: Crowing roosters. And, it was so warm in the room, that other guests kept the doors open, smoked, and talked outside for hours. (We were okay with this, since it was daytime.) We kept the windows open, since the A/C unit was too loud. Again, the room was good enough & the onsite restaurant was the best food we had on the island.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank SJTraveler73

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Sullivan's Island, South Carolina
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I would stay here only if you dont mind staying in a place that has the same qualities as a prison. This is just a place to stay if you are on a very tight budget. I would not recommend this motel. On the bright side the Motel has a good breakfast.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
9 Thank John F

Travelers are raving about these Lihue hotels

Reviewed December 17, 2012

We weren't arriving in Kauai until after 10:30 pm so we just wanted a cheap motel to crash overnight before heading to the north shore. A couple of places wouldn't check us in that late but recommended the Tip Top as a cheap place. Little did I know this crappy room would be $85! It would have been ok for $30. Cons: Blank cinder block walls, an A/C unit that blew directly on the bed (and couldn't be adjusted to blow away from it), the remote didn't work to control the little tube TV. Pros: hot running water, a lock on the door and a short stay. Breakfast was good.

• Stayed December 2012
8 Thank Trotter1976
Los Angeles
Reviewed July 3, 2012

For the price, this place is clean, has a private bathroom and it's own television set. You might also like the youth hostel in Kapaa which has private rooms for about the same price. They take a $50 key deposit, which they return when you return the key. The location is on a side street, so it is quiet. There is plenty of parking in their private lot. I liked that the restaurant was next door so I just walked over and ate breakfast. Be careful because they close during the middle of the day. You have to check in and out when they are open. Check their hours!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
10 Thank Orchid500
Captain Cook, Hawaii
Reviewed July 2, 2012

This is by far the worst Hawaii has to offer.There is a very noisy bar below this place so you lay awake at night listening to bottles clank together. you would be much happier to rent a car and sleep in it.

Room Tip: as far as I can tell the rooms are all bad
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
10 Thank seamillfarmcom
Lihue, Hawaii
Reviewed May 22, 2010

Be warned they have no room telephone nor do they have any wi fi. They do offer air conditioning though. Cab driver told me it's a strange family that run the motel. Also, if you do not have a credit card, the chances are they will not rent a room out to you anyway.
I was there for about one hour and then checked out. I had no intention of staying there. They advertised at $ 49: 00 a night. Yet it was $80:00 dollars a night all of a sudden for me.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo
15 Thank DaleWilhite
New York City, New York
Reviewed July 4, 2007

We live in Brooklyn, NY. To travel to Hawaii, we fly 6 hours to LA where we have a layover for a few hours, and then another 6 hours to Hawaii. We booked a room at the Tip Top Motel the night we arrived, because our flight was coming in after 9pm and we wanted to stay somewhere close to the airport for convenience.

When I made my reservation, I said our flight was arriving after 9pm and made a point to let them know that we would be checking in late. They assured me it would be no problem. A few days before our flight, I called the hotel AGAIN to let them know that we would be arriving after 9pm, and I wanted to make sure that it wouldn't be a problem to check in that late. Again, I was assured there would be no problem. Sure enough, we arrived at the hotel at exactly 9:30 pm only to find the doors locked, the lights out, and the front desk/management gone for the night. Believe me, after 12 hours+ of travel, this is enough to send you over the edge.

We banged and banged on the door, hoping someone inside would hear us, but finally a janitor who was mopping the restaurant (where they serve the famous pancakes) came to the door. He explained that the management had indeed gone home for the night, and he was not allowed to give out any keys to the rooms. From the other reviews, I guess I should be glad we didn't stay there, but at the time I was beyond livid. We were exhausted and faced with having to find another hotel for the night, not knowing our way around Kauai. Book here at your own risk!

• Stayed September 2006
    • Check in / front desk
24 Thank brooklynnomad
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lihue
Garden Island Inn
Kauai Shores Hotel
#5 of 11 in Kapaa
Marriott's Kauai Lagoons - Kalanipu'u
Marriott's Kaua'i Beach Club

Been to Tip Top Motel? Share your experiences!