“Clean Private Bathroom w/ TV” 3 of 5 bubbles

Tip Top Motel
Tip Top Motel
Ranked #9 of 11 Hotels in Lihue
Los Angeles
“Clean Private Bathroom w/ TV”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2012

For the price, this place is clean, has a private bathroom and it's own television set. You might also like the youth hostel in Kapaa which has private rooms for about the same price. They take a $50 key deposit, which they return when you return the key. The location is on a side street, so it is quiet. There is plenty of parking in their private lot. I liked that the restaurant was next door so I just walked over and ate breakfast. Be careful because they close during the middle of the day. You have to check in and out when they are open. Check their hours!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
10 Thank Orchid500

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Captain Cook, Hawaii
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2012

This is by far the worst Hawaii has to offer.There is a very noisy bar below this place so you lay awake at night listening to bottles clank together. you would be much happier to rent a car and sleep in it.

Room Tip: as far as I can tell the rooms are all bad
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
10 Thank seamillfarmcom

Travelers are raving about these Lihue hotels

Lihue, Hawaii
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2010

Be warned they have no room telephone nor do they have any wi fi. They do offer air conditioning though. Cab driver told me it's a strange family that run the motel. Also, if you do not have a credit card, the chances are they will not rent a room out to you anyway.
I was there for about one hour and then checked out. I had no intention of staying there. They advertised at $ 49: 00 a night. Yet it was $80:00 dollars a night all of a sudden for me.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo
15 Thank DaleWilhite
New York City, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2007

We live in Brooklyn, NY. To travel to Hawaii, we fly 6 hours to LA where we have a layover for a few hours, and then another 6 hours to Hawaii. We booked a room at the Tip Top Motel the night we arrived, because our flight was coming in after 9pm and we wanted to stay somewhere close to the airport for convenience.

When I made my reservation, I said our flight was arriving after 9pm and made a point to let them know that we would be checking in late. They assured me it would be no problem. A few days before our flight, I called the hotel AGAIN to let them know that we would be arriving after 9pm, and I wanted to make sure that it wouldn't be a problem to check in that late. Again, I was assured there would be no problem. Sure enough, we arrived at the hotel at exactly 9:30 pm only to find the doors locked, the lights out, and the front desk/management gone for the night. Believe me, after 12 hours+ of travel, this is enough to send you over the edge.

We banged and banged on the door, hoping someone inside would hear us, but finally a janitor who was mopping the restaurant (where they serve the famous pancakes) came to the door. He explained that the management had indeed gone home for the night, and he was not allowed to give out any keys to the rooms. From the other reviews, I guess I should be glad we didn't stay there, but at the time I was beyond livid. We were exhausted and faced with having to find another hotel for the night, not knowing our way around Kauai. Book here at your own risk!

• Stayed September 2006
      Check in / front desk
24 Thank brooklynnomad
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2006

After spending a lovely 4 nights at the Hilton Kauai Beach Hotel & Resort, we managed to miss our flight home! Faced with a closed ticketing window at the airport at 11 p.m., we were lucky to flag down a taxi who immediately recommended we stay at the nearest motel for the night. He drove us to Tip Top Motel and we figured OK, one night at a divey motel is doable.

However, when we opened the door to the room, we were both horrified. Now, I have stayed at hostels outside of the country and used holes in the ground as toilets in 3rd world countries and these accomodations at Tip Top were much scarier. The room was smaller than 10x10 with cinder block cement walls. It was like a prison cell or asylum ward. The thin blanket on the bed (which had several holes in it) resembled a cheap tablecloth. The linens were stained and the walls were dingy with scuffed up linoleum floors. There was a small, ancient air conditioner unit in the windows but the room was still stuffy. The bath towels were ragged around the edges. For $65 a night, it was highway robbery. I wouldn't have paid $20 had I have seen the room beforehand.

Oddly enough, the diner at Tip Top turned out to have the best pancakes in town (banana with macadamias). It was the teeny tiny consolation to an otherwise miserable stay.

• Liked — The diner. Best pancake breakfast.
  • Disliked — The prison cell-like room.
  • Tips/Secrets — Don't stay here if you can help it!!!! But do try the pancakes.
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
      Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
28 Thank noodlegirl
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2006

I took a chance and it was bad. Called ahead to confirm that clean towels would be provided. Got there at about 2pm and found one washcloth. I asked for towels and was told it would not be a problem. Left and returned at 10pm to find one washcloth and no access to clean towels. The basin had whiskers from the previous occupant near the valves and the shower had a used bar of soap in its dish. Stay at your own risk.

• Stayed April 2005, traveled on business
17 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Houston TX
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2004

This is a basic motel very close to the lihue airport and has clean rooms. If you are looking for a cheap place to stay this should be good, but not for romantic couples. Rooms have TV, AC, clean bed and restrooms. Car parking is in the lot and is not covered or fenced. Also, call them before you check in to make sure they are there, usually the resturant hours.

They have a restuarant downstairs and if you can , positively have their macademia nuts plus banana pancakes, they were very good, filling and cheap. They are closed Mondays.

11 Thank iam_learner
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lihue
Garden Island Inn
Aston Islander on the Beach
Kauai Palms Hotel
Kauai Palms Hotel
#8 of 11 in Lihue

Been to Tip Top Motel? Share your experiences!