“Clean and friendly”
Review of The Kauai Inn

The Kauai Inn
Ranked #7 of 11 Hotels in Lihue
Reviewed April 7, 2012

This hotel has very friendly and accommodating staff. It is almost amongst Hawaiian suburbia, meaning it is in a very quiet and relaxing part of town. The place is also very clean and a good location near Lihue. The rooms are a good size and the bathroom is huge! You will need a car to reach the main attractions, but this is common on Kauai anyway.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank zodiac6573

Reviewed April 7, 2012

My wife and I stayed here the second time we went to Kauai (the best island in our opinion). We went for adventure, so we did not want a fancy-spa hotel. This place was great ! We did all our hiking, water sports and exploring by day and had a clean place to stay at night. It is in Lihue, so we had close access to restaurants, coffee bars and stores. Our room was clean and the bed was comfortable. We also made a cat friend on the back porch. One of our best memories was leaving the vent windows partially open one night for the cool breeze when a gentle thunderstorm rolled through and we could hear the rain and smell those wonderful island aromas....give it a try and save a little $$$

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank kingpinky
Reviewed April 6, 2012

Stayed here for a weekend recently and I would recommend it to anyone who travelling on a budget and looking for peaceful accommodation befitting of Kauai. For the price, the Kauai Inn surely cannot be beaten. The setting is lovely, underneath the mountains just set back from the bay amongst a lot of lush greenery with only a handful of other houses nearby (please do ignore the industrial dockyard you drive through to get here – you can’t see it from the inn!). I liked that is was situated on the edge of Lihue too, you are roughly half way between Kauai’s road accessible areas both north and west and a few minutes from the airport too.

We had a nice mountain view from our 2nd floor room, 705 I think it was. The rooms themselves are a little dated, perhaps even slightly damp smelling, but they were very clean and fully functional. The bed was comfy, shower was fine and you had a full size fridge that proved handy for a self-catering trip. There was also a fully stocked kitchen in the breakfast area where you could borrow anything you needed for your own mini kitchenette, they even washed it up for you upon return. The communal areas were very nice and always clean. The grilling area with gas BBQs was an added plus and we used it two nights to dine in – again borrowing anything needed from the communal kitchen area. Laundry facilities proved useful for an adventure trip. Breakfast is outside by the office and pool, a nice way to start the day in the surroundings. It was simple but nice (cereal, toast, muffin, bagels, local breads, lots of nice fresh fruit and a selection of cakes) and in plenty supply. It could get quite busy as it’s not on for the longest time but we didn’t struggle to get a table. There is OK coffee available all day as well as juice in a fridge. There were also some very sweet and personable cats that gave the place a homely feel. In fact, we seemed to adopt them for our stay as we had one in our room and another always with us whilst sitting in the patio area at night. Don’t worry though, we encouraged them - if you’re not a cat fan you don’t have to interact. Yes there are noisy roosters, but you’ll learn that they rule all of Kauai mercilessly and there is no escaping them anywhere!

The only reason I can’t give full marks is because the wi-fi strength didn’t stretch to the rooms (you had to use it in the patio area) and there were no printing facilities attached to the communal computer (you could pay $1 per print out at the desk though). With the nature of inclement weather continually disrupting your plans, wi-fi in the room would have been a big advantage. Also, while I understand this far from a business stay kind of place, with the likes of online check-in and printing of boarding passes I think printing access is a necessity these days. In short we loved our stay here immensely and would definitely choose to stay again…

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank BorderRambler
Reviewed April 3, 2012

We were welcomed by a cat named Jezebelle, and on arrival knew we would be in good hands. The staff was very helpful and friendly. And the kitty cat welcoming committee was a treat. I chose this hotel after reading other Trip Advisor Reviews and looking at the website. It was pretty much as described.

The grounds are beautiful and the location is unique. It is away from the hussle of town, but not on a beach if that is what is important to you. It is the type of place that is best if you have a car rental, but then so is the island of Kauai.

The one downside is that not all the rooms have phones, and ours did not. We did not bring a cell phone from Canada, so it was a bit of an inconvenience. We did get a nice new TV though. We did not try the breakfast, we either ate out or in our rooms (mini fridge).

Room Tip: The hotel is 2 stories and if you don't want to do stairs with your luggage, ask for a main floo...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Queen_0f_Hearts
Reviewed March 30, 2012

First, they stayed open more than two hours late to accomodate our arrival! When we arrived in the room, we found a VERY clean, updated room with beautiful hard wood floors and a large TV. The bed was very comfortable with soft sheets. When we woke in the morning, we found we had a lovely view out our very own sliding glass door. The shower was super clean, not a hint of mildew, with great water pressure. Breakfast was convenient and just enough to get our day started on this wonderful island. I would highly recommend the Kauai Inn...I am very impressed with what we got for a very small price!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank amynohop
Reviewed March 26, 2012

We decided to stay here the night before we were to leave because of all the rains in March 2012. We were in Princeville and the bridges were closed several times and we were afraid that we might not be able to make it to the airport should the bridges be closed. We were very glad we did. Check in was easy and it is very centrally located. You do need a car if you stay here. It is not exactly next to the shopping area, but close enough. Our room was big and clean. It was very quiet at night. Not a rooster to be heard. We were told that all the rains must have quieted them down a bit. the breakfast in the morning was plentiful and fresh. We would definately stay here again.

Room Tip: We stayed in the second floor. I always prefer the second floor since you don't know if you cou...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed February 19, 2012

I stayed a full week at the Kauai Inn, and I really enjoyed my stay there. The Inn is located in a residential and rather secluded neighborhood situated quite close to the harbor in Lihue. The directions to the Inn on its website were very helpful in finding the property.

My first impression of the Kauai Inn was its quiet presence against a marvelous backdrop of lush green mountains. Many palm trees and a wide assortment of colorful flowers and tropical plants filled the well-landscaped premises, which was very clean and well maintained.

Sandy, the manager, greeted me as I entered her small office to check in, which began at 3:00 pm and was efficient. After registering both my car and myself, she gave me clear directions to my room on the second floor of the two-story complex.

And what a wonderful room! I had a king-size bed, a elegant night table with a large lamp, a six-drawer dresser topped by a wide flat-screen color television set with cable and remote control, a medium-sized table with two matching upholstered chairs and floor lamp, a small microwave oven, a three-foot tall stainless steel mini-fridge, and a nice closet with a sliding mirror door; the closet contained an ample amount of clothes hangers. The room was decorated with several very attractive paintings.

Not only was my room fully air-conditioned, it also had a ceiling fan which I used most often – set on “low” because air-conditioning usually was not necessary.

The bathroom had the usual commode, sink, bathtub and shower. Ample bath towels, smaller towels and washcloths were provided as well as the usual amenities of soap, shampoo and body lotion.

The entire bedroom and bathroom were spotless.

The Kauai Inn has a small outdoor swimming pool that is surrounded by beautiful landscaping. Outside the inn office are a vending machine and an ice machine. Complimentary WiFi was available but only near the lobby and breakfast areas.

A self-serve breakfast was included in the price: an assortment of various tropical fruits, cold cereal, many kinds of pastries, butter and jam, plus tea and coffee.

The entire staff of the Kauai Inn was friendly and hospitable throughout my stay -- from the manager to the grounds keepers to the room cleaners.

I heartily recommend this excellent and well-priced accommodation. I thought it was a true “find” in the tropics, and I will definitely return here one day.

Room Tip: I felt a room on the second floor would be quieter than one on the ground floor because I wouldn'...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
5  Thank Cyclopath43
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lihue
Kauai Beach Resort
Hotel Coral Reef
Hotel Coral Reef
#3 of 11 in Kapaa
Marriott's Kaua'i Beach Club

Been to The Kauai Inn? Share your experiences!