“Beautiful Paradise Trip”

Castle Kaha Lani
Colorado
“Beautiful Paradise Trip”
Reviewed May 25, 2014

My wife and I just got back from Kauai and had a great time. The Kaha Lani is a perfect place if you are looking for quiet and a good location, you are 20 seconds from the highway that will take you to the North side if you turn right and south and west side if you turn left. The staff pretty much blend into the woodwork but were there for us when we needed some questions answered or any supplies. Your about 50 yds from the shoreline and a few hundred yds from a beginner snorkling beach( perfect for people leary of the ocean). If you want to be around alot of people there is no end to hotels and I'm sure the majority would be fine but if you and a special someone want to be left in peace in a quiet setting this is the place

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank snowman9083

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
Poulsbo, Washington
Reviewed May 8, 2014

Just returned from a week on Kauai, staying at Kaha Lani. This was my first trip to Kauai. We wanted a hotel in the middle of the island so we could head North or South without too long of a drive. This location fit the bill perfectly, and is right next to Lydgate Park. Speaking of driving, try not to go out around rush hour - it's pretty slow going especially through Kapa'a. Our room at Kaha Lani resort was nice, even considering the aqua green carpet throughout. We stayed in #117 building 6. It was a bit on the simple side, but had nice granite counter tops in the kitchen, which was well stocked with everything you'll need for cooking your in-room meals. Our building is the closest to the beach, with a great view of the ocean across a nicely manicured lawn. It's also closest to the pool. There are two grills in the pool area available for grilling your fresh catch of the day. It is well lit after dark, including several Tiki torches lit every night at dusk. The room is serviced only once during your stay, and a $60 cleaning fee is charged. You are able to exchange your pool towels anytime at no charge. The unit was clean and comfortable, but we did have to share it with the occasional gecko (or whatever they are called).

The property is right on a paved path that runs all the way past Kapa'a. We never rode on it, and it appeared that the property had bikes you could use if you wanted to. We found the best prices for groceries to be at Foodland, and a key fob with your room key gets you a 10% discount there. We also shopped the local farmers markets for fresh fruit which was all very good - except the Chino. I'd recommend you stay away from those!

You probably already have your activities on the Island planned out, so I'll give you a couple of cautions to help you make the most of your day trips. If you are going to Ke'e Beach, get there early. We arrived there at 10AM on a Monday, and the parking lot was already full. Same with Tunnels - there is hardly any parking there. If you are going to See Waimea Canyon, once you pass the lookout, there's not much more canyon to see. There is however, a nice view acroos the canyon to the water falls (can't remember the name) that is beautiful - just before milepost 12. For snorkeling, I found the water at Lydgate to be very cloudy. The fish there are friendly and looking for a handout. My favorite snorkeling was at a spot just past the Beach House restaurant in Poip'u. Clear waters, and the biggest variety of beautiful fish. My next favorite was just up the road at Poip'u Beach park, on the right side of the sandbar. Ke'e Beach was also a fav.

Room Tip: #117 building 6 is a ground floor unit with an unobstructed view to the ocean.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
11 Thank BCOOL385
New Brunswick
Reviewed May 4, 2014

This was our first stop in Kauaʻi and an overall it was a great stay! The decor made me feel like I was on the set of 'The Golden Girls', but I loved the Kitsch-factor wholeheartedly. The units were very clean, well maintained, stocked with everything you could possible need, and Kapaʻa/Lihuʻe is central to just about everything on the island.

I'd read previous reviews about the 'roosters' and thought they'd been misfiled, until 3:00am on our very first morning. However, after two nights stay, we learned to let the 'Aloha' spirit take over and the roosters/chickens on the islands just become a fun, unique part of our stay. If they bother you that badly . . . go to another island, because there's NOWHERE on Kauaʻi where you're going to 100% avoid them.

A special shout out to Junior who hung around to accommodate our late check-in, and the lovely ladies at the front desk who helped us commandeer our wayward luggage.

Room Tip: If you have a lot of luggage, you might want to ask for a ground floor unit. If not, the second sto...
2 Thank Ms-Finch
Connecticut
Reviewed May 4, 2014

Thank you Kaha Lani for providing a beautiful and magical experience in Kaui. The condo (second floor building 7) was more than we ever expected. We woke to the most amazing sunrises each day, and the beach was stunning. I am recommending Kaha Lani to anyone who wants a quiet perfectly located resort. Read the other reviews for the fantastic amenities. We were a close drive to everything we planned on doing on that side of Kaui....including kayak trips, helicopter flights and not to long a drive to Wiamea Canyon. When we had to leave, the airport was very close.
The condo itself was perfectly set up (2bedroom/2 bath). We were able to make ourselves at home
in this warm and inviting tropical paradise. Gee, I wish I were there right now.

Room Tip: Building 7 had a great view.
Alberta, Canada
Reviewed April 26, 2014

We loved our ground floor unit; well equipped and the owners had thoughtfully left a good supply of books and DVDs for a couple of rainy nights in. Layout was great, bedroom far from kitchen so if one of us wanted to sleep in, the noise of making coffee etc was not heard in the bedroom. Ladies at front desk friendly and helpful and allowed us a late checkout as our flight was later in the evening. We liked the quiet location off the main highway and appreciated the discount card for Foodland as groceries are not cheap in Hawaii! The walking path was just steps away and close to the ocean. This was a great location as it seemed to be halfway to everything else around the island. Plenty of parking, we were always able to park right by our unit.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
California
Reviewed April 19, 2014

I stayed one night in a 2 bedroom ocean view room at the Kaha Lani resort, checking in 4/17 and checking out 4/18. I booked this room in August of 2013 and nowhere on my confirmation did it state that I would be charged an additional $30 cleaning fee upon checkout. I find the charge to be ridiculous since I only stayed one night. I just needed a place for my family to stay after leaving our timeshare condo on Thursday and before our Friday flight.

In addition to the additional charge I was not pleased to see that the room we were provided looked nothing like the pictures you show on your website. The photos were more modern than what we ended up with. We had rusty fixtures in the bathrooms, unclean throw rugs, bugs in the kitchen, and faded, out-of-date furniture. The family above us had children that were running around stomping past the 10:00 PM quiet hour and before 6:00 AM the next morning. It was hardly the restful last night on the island I was hoping for.

The only positives I can find was the lovely view and your kind office staff. I did not bring up the additional cleaning charge with them as I wanted to get home and check my reservation info.

I believe your website needs to state that these are privately owned units and that what you are getting may be pretty outdated compared to the units you are showing on your website.

8 Thank jmcat14
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed April 5, 2014

This was our first time to Kauai and we had an amazing time! We felt that the room far exceeded our expectations and that the pics on Flight Network didn't do it justice. The kitchen was fully equipped and allowed us to keep our breakfast and lunch items handy. I really enjoyed eating breakfast on the ground-floor patio while watching the amazing sunrise over the ocean! The pool was well cared for and we enjoyed an early morning dip before heading out for our days' adventures. There were not many children, which was also nice as the overall vibe was quite and low-key. I LOVED the window blinds that opened to let the sound of the ocean in and certainly loved being able to walk to the beach directly out of the back sliding door. Our room also provided so many hiking books and maps/guides for the island which made our day planning that much easier.

We don't travel to enjoy room luxuries, so if you are looking for something really fancy and plan to spend all your time in your room, perhaps paying for a high-end hotel is what you are looking for. However, if you want something 'homey', comfortable and quite that is well-equipped and centrally located, with a SPECTACULAR view, this is your place!

The central location made it really easy to drive all around the island and experience all of her wonders as well as being able to grocery shop and park right out front in order to bring the bags in.

The night security guard really made our stay so enjoyable as he went out of his way to tell us about hidden treasures on the island and his own personal experiences. We really enjoyed seeing him when we returned at night.

I loved everything about this location and would highly recommend it to anyone wishing to visit Kauai!

Room Tip: The ground-floor units are lovely!
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Emily M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lihue
Kauai Beach Resort
Kauai Shores, an Aqua Hotel
Koloa Landing Resort
Courtyard Kaua'i at Coconut Beach
Kiahuna Plantation Resort

Been to Castle Kaha Lani? Share your experiences!