“Great base for exploring Kauai”
Review of Kauai Beach Villas

Kauai Beach Villas
Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in Lihue
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed January 13, 2011

We really enjoyed the Kauai Beach Villas. Our 2-bedroom (D14) was much better than expected. The unit was clean, well-maintained, and very spacious. I liked the layout, which had a separate hallway for each bedroom. The kitchen was very well equipped. We were delighted to see a coffee grinder and even a rice cooker.

The unit did smell of smoke when we entered, but we did not notice it once we were settled in. D14 is a ground floor unit. We didn't use our outdoor table much because the chickens, ducks, and geese left such a mess. The air conditioners did not look bad from the inside but they weren't very reliable (stopped working if you kept them on "cool" too long), so the should be updated. Finally, be aware that the concierge will try to get you to go to a timeshare presentation and that the "free breakfast" is really for getting you to sign up and pay for extra activities.

I have no complaint about the grounds, they were lovely. We enjoyed walking along the beach. Good place to look at the stars at night. The resort next door was happy to invite us to use their pool facilities (although we did not take advantage of the offer).

All in all, we would certainly stay there again, although I would also try Poipu Beach. We traveled all over, so the location of Kauai Beach Villas was very convenient. When we went to the Princeville area, it seemed too busy--too many condos. Another RCI resort we saw in Kapaa was close to a swimming beach but didn't have the lovely grounds we had.

Wireless Internet worked well in some rooms and not in others.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank BornTraveling

Reviewed December 30, 2010

Home away from Home!!!Just like living in Hawaii with your own Apt!!!

Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank RickeyKay
Reviewed December 26, 2010

i was a little nervous about this resort from other reviews and also i was the one who planned this trip so i didnt want to disappoint my family!
I WILL list everything bad and good about this resort!!!!!!
The resort is centrally located!!
the unit was D17 perfect 2 bedroom 2 bath with a huge living room and a 3 lanais!
one lanai had a patio table with a vies of the resorts lagoon
super clean unit big for a family of 4 and up to 8
I LOVED the beach!! not for swimming but perfect for wetting your legs and feet
grills were everywhere and were cleaner than mine.
The chickens and roosters were not a nuisance i loved the crowing in the morning!
Staff was friendly and nice. Especially MARIA!! She helped me find my way after getting lost from the airport the 1st night i arrived. She stayed on the phone until i reached the resort. SHE WAS BETTER THAN A GPS
THE NEGATIVES WERE:
i thought the resort was non smoking!!! it is but guest can smoke on the balconies so that meant my room was full of cigarrette smoke all the time. IT was really bad because i wanted my kids to breath fresh air since we live in the city but instead we ended up having our blacony doors closed due to the guest that smoked on the other units in the D BUILDING. staff said there was nothing they could do about it!!!!
i wouldnt let this stop me from getting me from getting back. most of the time i wasnt even in my unit i was exploring the island!!!

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
3  Thank sag72
Reviewed December 9, 2010

We stayed here for 6 nights in early December, and I have to say it was a lovely place to spend our week. We had a 1 bed / 2 bath, looked like it had been renovated within the last 5-10 years or so, the decor is typical tropical time share, but everything was neat, clean and in good shape. The units have all recently gotten flat panel LCDs in the living room and bedroom, along with an iPod-compatible radio in the living room. There's also a bluray/DVD player for watching movies.

I would estimate the 1 bed units are about 700 square feet or so, pretty large with a full kitchen/pots/utensils, a couch with pull-out bed, and a small dining table. There is a little bit of sound spillage from the surrounding units, both through the walls and from people lounging outside, but overall we either had quiet neighbors or the walls are pretty sound-resistant.

The grounds are clean and well-kept. There is a great strolling beach (surf's too high for safe swimming) right next to the resort that makes a wonderful place to enjoy the sunrise every morning. The staff are very responsive - we had a problem with our front door lock sticking and maintenance was there within 5 minutes, and fixed it within half an hour. The resort itself is in a great location, halfway between Lihue and Kapa'a, and not much more than an hour from either end of the island.

Couple of minor negatives: we had some small ants wandering around our unit, nothing too aggravating and they never seemed to find the food we were keeping in the kitchen. Also, there is free AT&T wireless, but we had a hard time connecting to it. I called AT&T on the first night and was able to get it to work, but it stopped working again a couple days later and I gave up. Finally, the person/concierge who sits at the front desk and tries to get you to go to a tour of the Wyndham in Princeville was a little obnoxious.

Overall we really loved our stay here and would strongly consider staying here again on our next trip to Kauai!

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ajb_2008
Reviewed December 8, 2010

As the title states! We stayed at this timeshare development for 10 days and spent 5 grueling days in one of their 1-bedroom units for and another 5 days in one of their large comfortable 2-bedroom units. The way the buildings are set up is that all the 2-bedroom units face the internal grounds, and have a large balcony off the living/dinning rooms with individual smaller balconies off each bedroom facing the parking lot. The 2-bedroom units were large, comfortable, and nicely laid out. However, with regards to the 1-bedroom units; half of these units face the internal grounds while the other half faces the parking lots. Being and RCI exchange we got a unit that faced the beautiful parking, which gave little to no privacy so the window shades always stayed shut and the only openness we felt in the unit was from the TINY balcony that also faced the parking lot but was somewhat shrouded by vegetation (whenever we would get back from an outing my wife would say “back to the cave”). On top of being at a poor location, the units were very small, uncomfortable, and poorly laid out (especially the bathroom); the unit either felt smaller or was actually physically smaller than any studio/junior suite I have stayed in elsewhere.

Baring my issues with the 1-bedroom units, the Kauai Beach Villas has a few good things going for it; 1) It’s centrally located for easy access to north/south and the airport; 2) It’s on the ocean, although the beach here is non-swimmable you can still walk out onto it; 3) The Kauai Beach Resort is located next door and this property has a nice restaurant, bar, and a beachside bar & grill that you can easily walk to from your unit. Also, the Kauai Beach Resort has nice pools & spas that can be used by anyone staying at the Villas (you will want to use their pools/spas because the pool and spa on the Villas property is essentially the size and layout of a typical backyard pool/spa, and; 4) the 2-bedroom units are large, comfortable, and nicely laid out.

My recommendation;

Would I stay at this property again? - Probably not.

Would I recommend this property to a friend? - Probably not.

Would I recommend this property if staying in a 2-bedroom unit? – Sure, if the price was right.

Would I recommend staying at this property in a 1-bedroom unit? - Absolutely not, unless it was “free” and you were guaranteed a unit facing the inside grounds (but “free” probably = parking lot unit).

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank grehmer
Reviewed December 7, 2010

We stayed in unit G24. Watched the sunrise every mouring. The condo is a 1 bedroom,2 bath unit, top floor, well furnished with all amenities. Including beach towels and chairs. Full use of the Kauai Beach Resort next door.Management company was very helpfull.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Steve32684
Reviewed December 4, 2010

Stayed there with my parents.

GOOD
- Resort location - We were half way between the North and South and because Kauai's weather can change we had great flexibility in moving to where the sun was. The resort is located in a great walking beach that we walked every morning. It is also next to the Kauai Beach Resort that has a nice pool, poolside bar and hot tub. We just took our towels from here over to there with no problems.

- Room location - We stayed at an RCI 2 bedroom. Our room was H2 which faced a small lawn and then the beach.

THE BAD
- The smoker. Someone in our building smoked a lot and I was regularly woken up by the smell of smoking coming into my room. I determined it was coming through the bathroom vents and kept the bathrrom door closed with a towel below so the smell wouldn't come into my room. It also meant that when going to the loo at night I'd have to hold my breath.

- BBQs - Difficult to figure out how they work.

- HAIR DRYER - Did not work.

- DINING ROOM - No dimmer switch.

These are things that we noticed but (with exception of the smoker) did affect our overall experience. It was a great choice for us.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lihue
#4 of 11 in Lihue
Koloa Landing Resort at Poipu, Autograph Collection
Marriott's Kaua'i Beach Club
Aston Islander on the Beach
Kaua'i Marriott Resort
Hilton Garden Inn Kauai Wailua Bay

Been to Kauai Beach Villas? Share your experiences!