“Kauai Beach Villas:Not the worst, not the best”
Review of Kauai Beach Villas

Kauai Beach Villas
Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in Lihue
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed January 27, 2009

Well, we come to Hawaii every year an we own timeshares with Wyndham(not at Kauai Beach Villas). This was the first time we were at this resort. Being at numerous Wyndham locations, this was somewhat a letdown. However, I think they are in the process of making changes. I know part was owned by Pahio, etc. To get to it all, it does have large units and a decent lanai. It is outdated a bit, but it definitely is livable. The rooms have all the amenities with kitchens, washer dryer, etc. The pool is hideously small along with the hottub. It sounds ridiculous to say that the pool is not heated because you are in Hawaii. However, the weather gets very chilly at night and the pool never warms up. Picture immersing yourself in a bathtub filled with only the cold water faucet. Needless to say not many people swim unless it is extremely hot out. People complain that the roosters crow all the time, yes they do. Shut your windows if that is a problem. Chickens run this island. The dirt race track only goes on weekends. Who sits in their room all day to hear it? It is not that bad I don't think. There is a lagoon out in the middle with cute ducks and black swans swimming. Very entertaining if you get a unit with that view. The grounds are kept nice, and the staff is personable.The airconditioning in the bedrooms are sticking out onto the lanais from the bedrooms. They are all rusted, and there is paint and ick falling all over the lanai. The ones facing the ocean are absolutely gross looking and makes a person definitely not want to turn it on. I know, salt water does damage. I think that would be why they need central air. However, on this island you really don't need it. It is never too hot from my experience. So. all in all, it is okay. You are centrally located to get to the southern or northern end, and you are close to the airport. If I had someone questioning me if they should stay here, I would say yes, but don't expect high end or low. It is mediocre.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
4  Thank us2snorkel
There are newer reviews for Kauai Beach Villas

Reviewed January 22, 2009

My husband and I loved the Kauai Beach Villas G-6. We stayed in this condo from 12/27/08-1/2/09 for our honeymoon, and we fell in love with the condo and the location. The condo is equidistant to the west and north sides of the island, which was perfect since we were exploring Kauai for the first time.

The condo was very clean, it had a great ocean view from the lanai, and everything was in great condition. I was very pleased that the photos and the description of the condo were accurate.
We really felt at home here--the condo was so comfortable and had every amenity necessary. The king size bed was cozy and comfortable. All the appliances in the kitchen worked well, and we found cooking enjoyable since we had all the pots, plates, and glasses we needed.

We also spent some time having drinks and lunch at the Hilton resort which is just a short 2 minute walk from the condo. It was nice that we could grab a drink or a meal there if we didn't want to head out. But we definitely felt that we were getting more for our money by staying at KBV versus the Hilton.

We also thought that Kauai Vacation Rentals was a very nice agency to work with. They have several units at Kauai Beach Villas, and if Unit G-6 is not available, then I would trust finding another good condo at KBV to rent from them. My husband and I highly recommend condo G-6, and we'll definitely be back!

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
4  Thank am1NYLA
Reviewed January 22, 2009

The room we got was a one bedroom units with full kitchen, right on the beach! Very nice room with balcony overlooking the ocean. I found a Wal-Mart in town and stocked up for the week, very good idea. Excursions were great and affordable, take the kayaking / hiking trip to Waialua Falls (i am sure i spelled that wrong), it was awesome! The resort has no pool to speak of but who needs a pool when you're in Hawaii. The resort is also on the opposite side of most of the big hotels in Kauai, although there were great beached nearby. Great Time!!!!

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank Getmaney
Reviewed December 26, 2008

This review is a bit late, but I still wanted to contribute. Stayed at the Kauai Beach Villas the first week of July 2007. We booked through RCI. We were very apprehensive because of the TA reviews, but we were pleasantly surprised. Hubby and I found it fit our needs, and it wasn't nearly as bad as some reviews had made it out to be.

Everything people have commented on already is right: Don't expect to swim at the beach there, but it is fun to walk around. Pool is nothing to write home about. However, there are so many beautiful beaches in Kauai that you won't miss it.

I don't remember which unit or building we were in, but we were on the 3rd floor, no elevators, which is fine because we got more exercise! The place was adequately decorated. AC in the bedroom was good (other RCI resorts did not have AC -- that's why we picked this one). Bathroom nice. Pull-out couch kind of hard but they usually are anyway. We (2 of us, married, early 30s) found it very adequate for our needs, no one bothered us, and we liked the covered patio to hang out.

Parking is right there. We never heard the motocross track but could see it from our room. Grounds are nice, but we never stay much at the hotel anyway.

Location is good distance from north or south. We enjoyed being in the middle, as it was our first time to Kauai and we didn't know where to stay. After exploring, if we go again one day, we might try to book somewhere in the northern part of the island. The airport is close, and Costco and grocery stores are close to go get groceries.

I wouldn't think this is a honeymoon-type hotel, but we liked it because we are generally kick-back and don't require amenities like room service and a concierge. We just like to explore on our own, and the Kauai Beach Villas did it for us. No big problems to report from last year.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank SKPA
Reviewed September 6, 2008

This is a good centrally located resort on Kauai to explore from if you've never been there! The beach is nice, but not very exciting to swim in, just like most every other beach on Kauai. It's about 30 miles to the northern dead end of the island, and about 35 miles to the southern dead end of the island (paved). It's about 10 miles from Poipu, a very nice, swimmable southern end beach.

The room was spacious, very lightly decorated. As far as size this was above average for a 1 bedroom. A/C only in the bedroom, which takes some getting used to in August! Our A/C fizzled out, but they had it replaced within a day from when we notified them. Unit G-4 had a partial ocean view, which was a nice surprise, because we booked the lowest value unit we could using Wyndham Fairshare Plus points.

The roosters on the resort (and island in general) were not that much of a nusinance, unless you were trying to picnic at one of the beaches, then they came to beg from you! The motocross track was quiet until the Saturday morning we were leaving. Overall, we didn't hear 1 other person while we were there.

The pool area was small. That's not why we went to Kauai, so it didn't bother us. If we wanted to go to the pool, the next door pool at the Hilton looked more inviting.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank casiowiz
Reviewed August 23, 2008

Five members of our family stayed at the Kauai Beach Villas and we loved it. Our condo was right on the beach and had unbelievable views. You do have to get used to how windy it is on this part of the island, hard to bbq. The one negative was that the pool for the complex was a joke. Not even worth going to. Our pool in our home in Florida is bigger, and the jacuzzi was ridiculously small for that size of a complex. The noise from the adjacent dirt bike track was not an issue for the condos that are located on the water, but might be if you're towards the southeastern part of the property away from the ocean.

The property is centrally located close to almost everything on the island. All in all it was worth the long trip from Florida.

Stayed: January 2008
Reviewed August 13, 2008

My husband and I had our honeymoon at the Pahio Beach Villas in January 2007. We stayed here because my husband's grandma owns an RCI timeshare and she let us use some of her points or something.

Our room overlooked the ocean and a little stream of some kind. The grounds were pretty, except for the ponds all had brown water. There were interesting waterfowl roaming around the grounds and lots of pretty flowers. The pool was freezing, so we didn't use that much.

We didn't swim in the ocean because they had dangerous surf warnings or whatever the entire time we were there. From what I understand, it sounded typical for January. It was fun to walk on the beach though.

The beach villa was way bigger than I thought it would be. It had a nice roomy bedroom, a big kitchen stocked with utensils and plates and everything, two bathrooms, two TVs, a patio, a living room set up and more.

My one complaint about the room probably can't be helped. It was so humid there that our towels never completely dried when we hung them up. That's the same thing I experienced in Florida, another spot known for being humid. I'm sure there isn't much that can be done about that. I wasn't really going to let that get in my way of having fun, like some people would.

It was nice that we could use the restaurant at the Hilton, which shares its grounds with the Beach Villas. We also had some cocktails at the bar there. In addition, we had a traditional Hawaiian meal and watched a great production of the musical "South Pacific" at the Hilton. I'm pretty sure we were the youngest ones there. (We were 21 and 22 at the time). I guess if you are looking for lots of action, this probably isn't the hotel for you. :)

It was in a good location for us. It was right near Lihue, where we often stocked up on groceries. The morning after we arrived, we sat through a welcome presentation/breakfast that lasted about an hour or less. They explained what attractions were nearby and how to sign up for them. The breakfast was yummy with lots of fresh, exotic fruit. They also gave us shell necklaces.

Overall, good experience on this trip, other than the fact that it took almost the whole time to adjust to the four-hour time difference. :) Perhaps I was so blissfully happy about being married that I overlooked some negative things. Who knows. It worked for us and we had a great time.

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank girllovesdisney
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lihue
#4 of 11 in Lihue
Koloa Landing Resort
Aston Islander on the Beach
Marriott's Kaua'i Beach Club
Kaua'i Marriott Resort
Hilton Garden Inn Kauai Wailua Bay

Been to Kauai Beach Villas? Share your experiences!