“Awesome Trip!”

Waterfall Picnic Tour and Off-road Adventure in Kauai
Ranked #2 of 33 Outdoor Activities in Lihue
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Kipu Ranch Adventures, located on the lush island of Kauai, is proud to be one of the top eco-tours in Hawaii. We enable visitors and residents alike to discover the rich history, landscape and legends that make Kauai activities unique. Ride through lush green pastures, venture down into tropical Hule'ia Valley, and ascend to majestic Haupu for a breathtaking view of Kipu Kai, Kauai's untouched paradise. Experience many blockbuster movie spots such as Pirates of the Caribbean, Outbreak, and Indiana Jones Raiders of the Lost Ark. This is tropical 4x4 off road touring at its finest.
Useful Information: Food available for purchase, Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children
Reviewed November 14, 2013

This was our best tour on Kauai! We took our 11 year old son with us in one of their 4 seat ATV's and had a great time, plenty of mud and excitement. Our guides Lumbo and Marlon kept us entertained the entire trip. It is a guided trip so I'd you expect to run wild look elsewhere.they provided some good insight into the local lore on our stops. The waterfall wash a refreshing stop to clean up on before returning to camp. Highly recommend for families who are looking for something exciting to do. Experienced riders may be let down but I thoroughly enjoyed sharing this experience with my family! A fine group of professionals!

Reviewed November 12, 2013

This was the best thing we did in Kauai or Maui. So much fun.

You can choose the waterfall or ranch tour. From what we heard, the ranch tour was better(even though shorter and no waterfalls). The ranch tour was fantastic! Our tour guides were Lumbo and Justin. Very polite, knowledgeable and there to insure you have a great time.

You can choose either the standard 4-wheeler or outlaw(4 seater). My fiancee did not want to drive, so this option worked for us. It had rained the day before, so the back trails were very muddy...which is just right, when getting on an ATV. Plenty of photo opps.

We also stopped off and did a rope jump into the river. It was great! I highly recommend doing this tour, as it is a great way to see parts of the island that you will never see and you do so in a very fun way. Plan on wearing clothes you don't care about(if you know you are going to take this tour, pack some old sneakers in advance, just for this).

What more to say.....just do it!

Reviewed October 30, 2013

I'll preface this by noting that the trip experience seems highly dependent on the number and personalities of the group. Our group was just 6 people and all were confident ATV drivers, so we kept up a brisk pace and got to spend longer at the swimming spots and got to explore some extra trails off the beaten path. Our guide noted that larger groups often move a lot slower and can't stay as long at the swimming spots, so try and get in a small group if possible.

Our tour guide, Mark, was outstanding with an easy going, humorous personality, and a wealth of knowledge about the island. We drove through the fields where Jurassic Park was filmed, and swung on a rope swing where Indiana Jones escaped the head hunters. Mark also shared the ranch history, and pointed out the varieties of fruits and plants growing around the paths. In addition to the normal trails, we went off the beaten path through a cool river-side trail.

The trail conditions are weather dependent, although you can expect to get filthy no matter what, so wear clothes you don't mind getting caked in dirt. They provide bandanas, helmets, and goggles for free. We drove side-by-side 4wd Yamaha quads, which were in great shape, with plenty of power. I'm an experienced quad driver, but we had lots of fun on the trails, topping 35 mph on some of the open stretches, or winding through the muddy forest trails.

We highly, highly recommend it!

2  Thank fortneja
Reviewed October 30, 2013

Beautiful scenery that you won't see unless you take this fun tour. Loved our guide who was full of interesting info about movies made in the area, movie stars and history. The side by side atvs were so fun. I got splashed with lots of red dirt mud and didn't mind at all. Of course my husband was driving so he gave me the most of the splashes! This is not the time to wear your nice clothes. Wear something you don't mind getting dirty. I actually bought some shoes for $5 at one of the many thrift stores on the island so I wouldn't mess up my good ones.

1  Thank bbtayyy
Reviewed October 23, 2013

This was my husband's activity selection, and I'm so glad we did it! We made several stops for photos, while Troy and Ryan took turns giving info and history of what we were looking at, and the views were breathtaking! It was a three hour tour, but some of that time was taken up in prep time, so we were not actually riding trails for the whole three hours.

1  Thank tag-about