“Donated food on Thanksgiving....Delicious!!!!”
Review of Mark's Place

Mark's Place
Ranked #8 of 120 Restaurants in Lihue
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Takeout
Fresno
“Donated food on Thanksgiving....Delicious!!!!”
Reviewed November 25, 2012

My wife and I went to Kauai, Hawaii for our Honeymoon, 11-15 to 11-24, 2012 and while there went to All Saint's Church for a Thanksgiving Dinner. It is a free Thanksgiving dinner for anyone who wants to come. It was so delicious I asked someone who had prepaired such a wonderful meal. I was told that Mark's Place was responsible. So we thought if a free meal was this great, we had to try the restaurant out...... Amazing, Great, Food!!!!

• Visited November 2012

Colrado
“Salty. Fell far below expectations.”
Reviewed November 23, 2012

We always try to support local places when traveling and look to Trip Advisor and others for guidance. Usually, things work out. This time, it was a marginal experience at best.

While the food was hot and prepared reasonably quickly, the food was incredibly salty. Yes, I expect Teriyaki and similar foods to be somewhat salty, but this was much more than usual. The quality of the meat in the Teri Beef was good... definitely better than the gristly stuff found at many other plate lunch shops. Ditto for the Korean Chicken. The rice had good consistency and desired stickiness. Mac salad was better than average.

Couldn't get cups so that my family could split a large bottle of water.

Seating area consisted of three picnic tables outside, with shading. That part's fine, but there were a lot of ants around, including a fair number on the table. Still, it was OK. In terms of atmosphere, it was pretty quiet, but it was in sort of a business/semi-industrial area with auto repair and such around you. Could be better... still OK.

Overall, the experience was on the low end of average. Perhaps if the food was less salty, it would have come up a notch.

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank ColradoWeatherguy
Albany, NY
“Eat at the Caterer's”
Reviewed November 10, 2012

A local person told us to go to Mark's for good food at reasonable prices. She mentioned that Mark's "is the go-to caterer on the Island." So we figured if the food is good enough for their local parties and events, then it should be good enough for us. And it was. We went there twice in 2 weeks for take out, although they do have picnic tables outside where you can dine. They serve what is known locally as a plate lunch but will suffice for dinner anytime. Their menu is very large and could therefore meet the needs of even finicky eaters. We liked the Korean chicken, Terri Beef,chicken Katsu and their accompanying Mac salad and rice. Nice amount of food. Great food to take home and have with a couple of beers. Mark's is located in an industrial area but don't let that put you off.

Visited October 2012
1 Thank DnAAlbany_NY
San Jose, California
“Contemporary Flavors review -”
Reviewed November 8, 2012

My husband and I recently renewed our vows in Hanalei Kauai and we had Contemporary Flavors cater to two events. An asian inspired Cocktail Party and a Luau. Both were absolutely wonderful with great selection and great service. Everyone in attendance raved about the food and service. They also provided an excellent bartender each night. Things could not have been any better than this! Thanks so much to Mark, Wendy and your crew! Contemporary Flavors is part of Mark's Place which I hear is also excellent I hear! I will drop by next time I am on the island.......:)

• Visited October 2012
Lufkin
“Good Deal Meal”
Reviewed November 6, 2012

My wife and I had searched out Mark's Place because it was close to Kauai Community College. It first glance it's not much to look at, but when you see local workers filing in the door you have to know it's good. My wife had the teryaki chicken and I had teryaki beef. The price was about usual for most places in Lihue, less than $20 for two dinners. There was way plenty of food for two people in one dinner, yet we both managed to finish off our meals. For a quick meal that will acquaint you with the asain flair of the islands, definitely go to Mark's Place. Our trip there was a unique experience and we found all the staff pleasant enough considering how busy they are at the lunch hours.

• Visited October 2012